This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer suggestions

I need a new printer as my HP and Dell are both Win printers and although I have searched the faqs and tried a few things they do not work. I am happy to buy a new one so can anyone suggest a good model for typical low personal usage and preferably not too big.

Sorry to ask two questions but can I search this forum for my previous posts as I would like to refer back from time to time.

Thanks.

Re: Printer suggestions

Hi abunt

Your HP should work well with Kubuntu. Check this site for your model.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Thanks but I did all this and spent ages trying the stuff here to no avail. I am happy to buy new anyway.

Comment

I use an HP Officejet 5510 all in one and Kubuntu prints AND scans fine.
        Have never tried to fax with it yet (but i dont use that very often)

Ciao,
        Charlie

Comment

I have a Brother HL1440 monochrome laserjet that is about 3 years old. I had 0 trouble installing in Kubuntu. Seemed even easier than Windows...

Comment

Hi
            Have you tried installing your printer through KDE system settings, HP and Dell are both listed. HP has more choices and I would try this one myself.

Before we start I apologise if I make this to simple as I do not know how much of a new guy you are to Linux and Kubuntu.

Make sure your printer is switched on when you boot up and log into Kubuntu.

At the desktop open Kmenu

Click on System Settings

Click on the printers icon

The printer page opens

In the print systemcurrently used box choose CUPS

Now log into the administrator mode (use your log in password)

Click on add in the top left hand corner

Click on add printer class

The add printer wizard will open

Click on local printer and next

Your printer should have been detected and will show attached to a port

Highlight this port its URL should appear in the box click next

The printer wizard should now build a database of printer drivers when this has finished a list of printer makes will appear.

Highlight your printer make (HP) a list of models should appear in the right hand column highlight your model and click next

Choose a driver from the list that appears (You may have to experiment here Gutenprint appears to have taken over from Gimpprint) click next

Printer test page will appear
            Settings will let you adjust paper size etc (do this if you are using A4)
            Test page does what is says on the tin if it does not produce the result you expect go back and try another driver when you are happy click next

Banner selection go with defaults click next

Printer quota settings go with defaults click next

User access settings
            In the type box change denied users to allowed users and add your user name to the list click next

General informationpage will appear choose name for printer i.e myprinter (no spaces) and location i.e. nearby
            click next

Confirmation page will appear showing all your choices if you are happy click finish

Your printer will appear on the printer page under the name you have given it

If you want to change anything delete the installed printer in the printer page
            and use the wizard again.

In OpenOffice when you decide to print generic printer will be the default choice but your named printer will also be available if you choose the down arrow.

Hope this helps

lurch

Comment

Lurch,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I am pretty new to Linux but I think I did what you suggest. My printer is an HP 710c, which does not do PCL or HPGL, rather the Win driver does the difficult stuff - it keeps the printer cheap I assume. There is a Linux driver that purports to do the same job but it didn't work for me.
              Anyway I will follow your instructions carefully and see if I messed up anywhere.
              Thanks.

Comment

abunt

the driver that appears to install is hp deskjet 710c pnm2ppa.

you could try the dell printer they list the following models m5200, m5200postscript, s2500 and s2500postscript.

I use a epson stylus c42ux pretty basic but works

lurch

Comment

Working...
                X