X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't log out from kubuntu

Hi!

Some days ago I installed new graphics drivers for my ati onboard x200 card. It was great because with open gl enabled google earth worked and a lot of other applications...
    But happiness wasn't long to last! Now when I try to log out (shut down) kubuntu it crashes... screen becomes black and the computer is blocked... Well I guess that it's quite difficult to give advices with so little info and with no error messages, but any hint is more than welcome,

cheers

Re: can't log out from kubuntu

In your /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file, add the line "TerminateServer=true" under the [X-:*-Core] section.

If it still has shutdown problems, you may need to add "linux vga=normal" to your boot options.

Originally posted by EricGod48
    To get it to work right, I added "nocrtc" and "linux vga=normal" to the boot options in grub. To do this, select the kernel you want to boot and hit "e" to edit the commands. Go to the line that begins with "kernel" on the next screen and hit "e" again to edit the commands, then just add nocrtc and linux vga=normal at the end, hit enter to apply the changes and then hit "b" to boot with those options.

After the options are added, the line should looking something like this:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash nocrtc linux vga=normal
    Also note that this only adds those options for this particular boot; it is not permanent. To make it permanent you'll need to edit grub.conf or however it is saved in Kubuntu..I'm not sure.

Hope this helps,

Eric

edit: You can probably get away with only using the "linux vga=normal" option. the "nocrtc" option did not make the problem go away when used by itself.
    Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
      In your /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file, add the line teServer=true" under the [X-:*-Core] section.

If it still has shutdown problems, you may need to add "linux vga=normal" to your boot options.

Originally posted by EricGod48
      To get it to work right, I added "nocrtc" and "linux vga=normal" to the boot options in grub. To do this, select the kernel you want to boot and hit "e" to edit the commands. Go to the line that begins with "kernel" on the next screen and hit "e" again to edit the commands, then just add nocrtc and linux vga=normal at the end, hit enter to apply the changes and then hit "b" to boot with those options.

After the options are added, the line should looking something like this:
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash nocrtc linux vga=normal
      Also note that this only adds those options for this particular boot; it is not permanent. To make it permanent you'll need to edit grub.conf or however it is saved in Kubuntu..I'm not sure.

Hope this helps,

Eric

edit: You can probably get away with only using the "linux vga=normal" option. the "nocrtc" option did not make the problem go away when used by itself.
      Josh
      Thanks, I've tried the above hints but unfortunately the problem still remains...

In the "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" file there are many [X-:*-Core] sections, should I paste the terminate statement under each of them?

Here's the scenario:
      1 - Kubuntu start up screen is "normal" in 1024x768 pixels.
      2 - Then I come to the login screen something strange happens:

the screen resolution swaps to 640x480 and you can move the login shape around.

3 - I login as usual and the desktop screen resolution swaps again to the normal 1200x1024.
      4 - everything works ok.
      5 - Then I want to shut down the system, (or restart) the computer hangs, and I must hit the power switch in order to bring the computer back to life!

all of this happened after installing opengl drivers for my ati x200 card...

any ideas what I can do to resolve this issue?

Comment

arghh... here's my kdmrc file, does it look ok?
        what about the AllowShutdown=Root in the # Core config for all displays section?

[General]
        ConfigVersion=2.3
        StaticServers=:0
        ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3
        ServerVTs=-7
        ConsoleTTYs=tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6
        PidFile=/var/run/kdm.pid

[Xdmcp]
        Enable=false
        Willing=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xwilling

[Shutdown]

# Core config for all displays
        [X-*-Core]
        TerminateServer=true
        Setup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup
        Startup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup
        Reset=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xreset
        Session=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession
        AllowRootLogin=false
        AllowNullPasswd=false
        AllowShutdown=Root
        ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors-%s

# Greeter config for all displays
        [X-*-Greeter]
        LogoArea=Logo
        LogoPixmap=/usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/kdelogo.png
        AntiAliasing=true
        MinShowUID=1000
        MaxShowUID=29999
        Preloader=/usr/bin/preloadkde
        UseTheme=true
        Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/kubuntu

# Core config for local displays
        [X-:*-Core]
        TerminateServer=true
        ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -br
        ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
        AllowNullPasswd=true
        AllowShutdown=All

# Greeter config for local displays
        [X-:*-Greeter]
        PreselectUser=Previous
        FocusPasswd=true
        LoginMode=DefaultLocal
        AllowClose=true

# Core config for 1st local display
        [X-:0-Core]
        TerminateServer=true
        ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors

# Greeter config for 1st local display
        [X-:0-Greeter]

Comment

Looking closely at your kdmrc file, I see that you already have "TerminateServer=true" as the first line under [X-:*-Core]. Your problem sounds similar to the one I had, and I fixed it by doing the fixes recommended. The only other thing I can sudjest is to try the "linux vga=normal" cheat code.

Josh

Comment

Working...
          X