Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You need to enable dapper-backports to be able to install Amarok 1.4.3.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to enable dapper-backports to be able to install Amarok 1.4.3.

I am thrilled to pieces with Kubunt, after Windows - and the Adept package manager seems to good to be true.

Please - why doesn't it list the latest Amarok release there?

As it doesn't, one is told to <You need to enable dapper-backports to be able to install Amarok 1.4.3.> but I haven't a clue what that means!

Hopefully the days of keeping it difficult (puritanical - if it's no effort, it aint worth doing...)

Then you <Apt source:
    * deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/amarok-143 dapper main>

Do you write that in the Repository list - is it another whole repository?
    I tried it and it adds it - but then it vanishes again.

Re: You need to enable dapper-backports to be able to install Amarok 1.4.3.

For good info on enabling extra repositories, and Linux in general, you may want to check this site...

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.php

If you want the quick and simple way to enable the backports repos, navigate in konqueror to /etc/apt. Make a backup of the file "sources.list" with a different name, then rightclick on the original and under action select "edit as root". Find the backports repository and delete the pound sign from the beginning of the line. Save and exit, then open a terminal and run "sudo aptitude update".

For future reference, because you will probably hear it come up again, adding the pound sign to the beginning of a line is called "commenting" the line. The pound sign tells Linux to ignore whatever follows it. If someone tells you to "uncomment" this line in that file, what they mean is remove the pound sign, as I described in the previous paragraph.

Josh

Comment

Re: You need to enable dapper-backports to be able to install Amarok 1.4.3.

Nice to find someone who'll make it plain!!
      <You need to enable dapper-backports> meant that dapper-backports is one of the repositories that adept goes to for updates. And that for some unknown reason adept isn't allowed to go there automaically.
      At least I know now!! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X