X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to switch.

Hi
    I currently use Linux mint KDE 18.2 But it seems mint will no longer after 18 run KDE So was wondering how hard it is to get used to kubuntu
    compared to mint KDE. I know all the back ports are from Kubuntu. So I am sure the system it self will be similar i most ways.
    The only real time i have vested in running a system is in mint. I have tried different flavors including kubuntu. but the last time. i tried it .
    I must have done something wrong cause it was very buggy. tried ubuntu. and hated it. . But settled on mint KDE.

for the support i got. from the forum.
    But from reading the forums here. I can see There is great support also.
    Question
    1) can mint kde be converted to kubuntu without loosing everything or do i have to save everything and just do a fresh install. (yes i know wishful thinking)
    2)I run plex media server from my pc . I had issues getting it up and running if i have to do a fresh install. can someone send me a link to help me get it going
    I am still looking for a forum link for it now. yet to find one . unless i am searching wrong.. Plex is hard sometimes to get working with linux. can be tricky.
    3) I am sorry for the lazy questions.

But honestly i am still a novice on linux. i was just getting confortable on mint kde with the command and such. now i am
    looking to switch and i am feeling over whelmed having to switch again. and having to learn that maybe sudo apt-get maynot work on kubuntu don't know need to look that
    up yet also. may be some other way of doing it here. but anyways i hope i posted in the correct place for this nonsense questions.

thanks.

Welcome to KFN. Glad you found us.

If you are comfortable/familiar running Mint with KDE, you’ll find Kubuntu right up your alley. As with any distros, even those using the same DE (Desktop Environments), there are going to be differences, but Mint KDE and Kubuntu are very, very similar.

Always advised: Before you switch/install a new OS, backup everything you can’t/don’t want to risk loosing. It’s simply prudent.

You can’t simply “convert” Mint to Kubuntu; you will have to install Kubuntu, either as an additional Linux installation, or as a replacement to Mint. While you can replace Mint and retain your user’s home directory (assuming, that in Mint, you created a separate partition for /home), doing so is likely; almost certainly; to introduce “issues” that may or may not be easily overcome.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

and I think their is at least 1 other user/admin hear that uses plex media server ,@oshunluvr so perhaps he can be of help when it comes time to reconfigure it for your new install .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I run plex on a headless server running Ubuntu 14.04. There's not much to installing it these days. Download the latest version from here and install it with the qapt installer (GUI) or dpkg (CLI) and enable it with systemctl:
        Code:
        sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.10.1.4561-9de2951fc_amd64.deb
        sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver
        sudo systemctl enable plexmediaserver
        Then just log in and set up your media. However, I believe you could save your current database (if you have a ton of media) by copying the /var/lib/plexmediaserver file over to your new installation from the old one. Then you won't have to rebuild everything. Of course, this would only work if you keep the library structure the same. You might want to ask over at plex forums.

Another thing I do to keep my live simpler is I use an auto-update script for plex that runs unattended from a cronjob. You get it here.

As far as switching to Kubuntu, you didn't post any details about your setup, but if you have the hard drive space I would dual boot Kubuntu with Mint so you can be sure to have a working system. Once you're used to Kubuntu, you can delete Mint. There's also the possibility that you may decide to try another distro altogether. Dual booting insures you have a chance to "try before you buy".

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks to all for the fast replays . And i would like to apologize, for posting in the wrong area. still trying to navigate the forum. In Response . Yes i figured i wouldn't get so lucky that i could just click and convert DE's But had to ask. but glad
          kubuntu is much similar to mint kde. it shouldn't be much of a learning curve then for me. as for last time i tried to run kubuntu. i had issues lots of crashes. maybe it is my system.

here is my system i am currently running. \
          maybe something sticks out as bad. hardware. for kubuntu. or something that has to have 3rd party software to run. idk.
          Code:
          kevin@kevin-desktop ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
          System:    Host: kevin-desktop Kernel: 4.10.0-40-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
             Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.8 (Qt 5.6.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
          Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
             Bios: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 04/08/2014
          CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
             flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 65828
             clock speeds: max: 4114 MHz 1: 4114 MHz 2: 4114 MHz 3: 4114 MHz 4: 4114 MHz 5: 4114 MHz
             6: 4114 MHz 7: 4114 MHz 8: 4114 MHz
          Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
             Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
             Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1680x1050@59.88hz
             GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
             GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.90 Direct Rendering: Yes
          Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fbc driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
             Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
             driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
             Card-3 Licensed by Sony Entertainment America driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 007-002
             Card-4 Logitech Webcam C310 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-002
             Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-40-generic
          Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: b000 bus-ID: 0a:00.0
             IF: enp10s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
          Drives:    HDD Total Size: 6121.2GB (29.8% used)
             ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 120.0GB
             ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST3000DM001 size: 3000.6GB
             ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Expansion_Desk size: 3000.6GB
             Optical: /dev/sr0 model: ASUS DRW-24B1ST   i rev: 1.00 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
             Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
             audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
          Partition: ID-1: / size: 64G used: 39G (65%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
             ID-2: /home size: 43G used: 4.5G (12%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
             ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.69GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
          RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
          Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 26.0C mobo: 25.5C gpu: 0.0:33C
             Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 fan-1: 1211 fan-2: 1290 fan-3: 414
          Info:      Processes: 287 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 3301.9/16024.1MB
             Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 10, 2017, 07:57 AM. Reason: readability

Comment

Not knowing which Kubuntu’s you tried to run previously (and on what hardware), you’ll likely find your experience much different now. Kubuntu Linux has matured significantly.

Comment

it was just 6 weeks ago i burned the iso image and tried on a spare hard drive. Made a boot partion,root , swap, and home installion went well no issues. updated all video card. processor. just kept getting gui crashes left and right and a few frozzen
              screens. that had to manually power off and back on to get going again. So like i said maybe it was just a bad install. or issue with hardware. Probly should just try again. if no one see's anything that sticks out hardware wise.

Comment

your system looks good and if it's running well on Mint-KDE it should run well on Kubuntu as well ,,,,maybe thay (mint) installs proprietary software by default ? IDK but we can work that out .

Just for further help and your info ,,,posting console output is easier for us to read if it is in cosed in code tags (click the # in the tool bar over the text input field ) ,,,so your inxi output would look like this .

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ inxi -Fxzd
                System:    Host: vinny-Bonobo-Extreme Kernel: 4.13.0-19-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
                          Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.11.4 (Qt 5.9.3) Distro: neon 16.04 xenial
                Machine:   System: System76 (portable) product: Bonobo Extreme v: bonx8
                          Mobo: System76 model: Bonobo Extreme v: bonx8 Bios: American Megatrends v: 4.6.5 date: 04/15/2014
                CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4910MQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
                          flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 23146
                          clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 2893 MHz 2: 2893 MHz 3: 2893 MHz 4: 2893 MHz 5: 2893 MHz 6: 2893 MHz
                          7: 2893 MHz 8: 2893 MHz
                Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
                          Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
                          GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 387.34 Direct Rendering: Yes
                Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
                          driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                          Card-2 NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
                          Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-19-generic
                Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                          driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.2
                          IF: enp3s0f2 state: down mac: <filter>
                          Card-2: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 04:00.0
                          IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
                Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (36.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS725050A7 size: 500.1GB
                          ID-2: /dev/sdb model: HGST_HTS721010A9 size: 1000.2GB
                          Optical: /dev/sr0 model: TSST CDDVDW SN-208FB rev: TC00 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
                          Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
                          audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
                Partition: ID-1: / size: 53G used: 25G (49%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
                          ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
                RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
                Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 56.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:59C
                          Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
                Info:      Processes: 251 Uptime: 2 days Memory: 2191.0/15994.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
                          Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
                VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

How much RAM is in your PC? Have you done a memory check on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    How much RAM is in your PC? Have you done a memory check on it?
                    It's in there, just not obvious:
                    Info: Processes: 287 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 3301.9/16024.1MB

Please Read Me

Comment

While there are differences between Mint and Kubuntu, there is nothing in the way of differences that will tear a hole in the space-time continuum. None of the differences will cause damage in either distro when you're in one and thinking in terms of the other. I run Kubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on my desktop (in 8GB RAM) and Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon on my laptop (in 2GB RAM), with no problem switching back and forth. Truth is, the biggest difference is in the use of the GUI software update process in Mint. They apply categories to each update package, and some are not in the "recommended" status. Nether distro has anything that is fearful.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I once converted a Kubuntu 1604 to Mint KDE. I didn't document the process but the difference was around 9 packages. Mint is very much Kubuntu 16.04 with little more than a different software store (and maybe the Mint Menu?). Everything related to Plasma and KDE is literally Kubuntu packaging. So it in theory can be done. I switched back with no problem but it was a fresh install so who knows if it works on a running system.

So a Kubuntu 1604 will look and act like you are familiar with for the most part.

However I think you might like the updated Plasma in 1704 or 1710, or the upcoming 18.04 LTS.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I seem to recall (here and elsewhere) lots of problems lately with certain nVidia set-ups and newer kernels / driver versions. See here or Google yourself for example. KWin devs have even had to resort to h4x to get the recent drivers working, as discussed here. Going forward on Linux, my advice to anyone is to go red and get an AMD GPU. I run all games at 1080p 60 FPS and own over 85 games with no issues. On another box, I transcode media on a Plex server, again with no issues.

All this from a set-up that uses open source AMDGPU drivers and also the ability to run any kernel I want, without worrying about video drivers! For general PC use, a RX560 is a great option. You already have the AMD CPU, might as well get a matching set if funds allow.

RX 560 on Newegg

Addendum - I know this is a bit off-topic, but seems relevant since to OP has had issues with nVidia.
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I run Mint KDE, and used to (and now again) run kubuntu. I will slowly be phasing all my PCs to Kubuntu or KDE Neon as the 19.04 realeses roll out. I also use plexmedia server. I also used to own an fx-8350 with nvidia 970 using Kubuntu 14.04.

I can probably help you with most of your queries. As for kubuntu vs Mint, here are the fundamental differences:

1. Mint KDE comes with more software installed out of the box. This can easily be remedied by installing what you need.

2. Mint KDE has a nicer default theme than Kubuntu. However, both have access toteh same themeing tools and libraries

Now the big stuff:

3. Mint KDE does NOT implement ubuntu HWE stacks. This can be an issue for people on the latest hardware, or who need up to date open source drivers (ie AMD GPU users). Ubuntu can be installed with the original 16.04 stack or the updated one, and you can migrate old installs.

4. Kubuntu does not implement the staged update system with levels that Mint does. Personally I think it makes no difference.

5. Kubuntu does not implement direct flatpak support by integrating it into the software manager.

6. Mint does not have intermediate (non LTS) releases based on 16.10/17.04/17.10

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                              I seem to recall (here and elsewhere) lots of problems lately with certain nVidia set-ups and newer kernels / driver versions. See here or Google yourself for example. KWin devs have even had to resort to h4x to get the recent drivers working, as discussed here. Going forward on Linux, my advice to anyone is to go red and get an AMD GPU. I run all games at 1080p 60 FPS and own over 85 games with no issues. On another box, I transcode media on a Plex server, again with no issues.

All this from a set-up that uses open source AMDGPU drivers and also the ability to run any kernel I want, without worrying about video drivers! For general PC use, a RX560 is a great option. You already have the AMD CPU, might as well get a matching set if funds allow.

RX 560 on Newegg

Addendum - I know this is a bit off-topic, but seems relevant since to OP has had issues with nVidia.
                              the Nvidia problem you linked to (one problem discussed in to places)is a tad old and was fixed quite fast + it turned out it was more a QT problem than Nvidia

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X