Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you sync contacts between your Kubuntu computers AND Android?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you sync contacts between your Kubuntu computers AND Android?

All,

I may be opening a can of worms, but I'll ask nevertheless. I hope this is the correct sub.
    I've looked at multiple forums, blogs etc. but some suggestions were a decade old.

I'm looking for general directions, the options currently available seem to be:

1) Built-in software: I managed to install and initiate Akonadi, installed KOrganizer and Kontact and KMail (not without problems, but they work) - HOWEVER all my contacts are in Thunderbird, and it seems to use its own calendar, address book etc. Will they allow me to sync to Android with KDEConnect?

2) Server: Truth is, I have multiple computers/devices which would suggest I'd be better off with something like an OwnCloud server and an app like DAVx5 -- would you recommend that over the above option and why?

3) ...?

Thank you kindly for your insights.

Edit: I'm on Kubuntu 22.04 and I'd like to include Android 13 in the ecosystem.
    Last edited by whoami; Mar 22, 2023, 01:34 PM.

I have KDEconnect installed on my Android and on my Kubuntu 22.04. I am paired up with my Android.
    I can export my Android K9-mail contact list as a *.cvf file and drop it onto KDEconnect's surface. It appears on my Kubuntu in the Downloads directory. I can import it into Thunderbird. All the plugins that I've used in KDEconnect work as advertised. You need to have sshfs installed.
    It's explained here:
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kde-co...letter_popup=1

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just set up my Google account in Online Accounts in System Settings and it syncs with the Plasma Kalendar application. I've tried KDE Connect but it's too much for my simple needs.

I can plug my Pixel 7 Pro into my PC to offload my pictures.
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I have KDEconnect installed on my Android and on my Kubuntu 22.04. I am paired up with my Android.
        I can export my Android K9-mail contact list as a *.cvf file and drop it onto KDEconnect's surface. It appears on my Kubuntu in the Downloads directory. I can import it into Thunderbird. All the plugins that I've used in KDEconnect work as advertised. You need to have sshfs installed.
        Thank you for that link. I understand you "sync" contacts by manually exchanging vCards between phone and computer, correct?
        I already installed KDEConnect on Android but have to try a different machine (I don't have bluetooth on this one). Neither SSHFS. Will try that!
        Do you recommend K9 Mail? I was just using stock Google Mail as a client to connect to my SMTP accounts. Is that good or bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
          I just set up my Google account in Online Accounts in System Settings and it syncs with the Plasma Kalendar application. I've tried KDE Connect but it's too much for my simple needs.
          I can plug my Pixel 7 Pro into my PC to offload my pictures.
          Yeah, I didn't mention that I'm trying to limit my dependence on Google as much as I can. I'll probably end up with some type of private cloud behind closed doors.

Comment

Originally posted by whoami View Post

Thank you for that link. I understand you "sync" contacts by manually exchanging vCards between phone and computer, correct?
            Do you recommend K9 Mail? I was just using stock Google Mail as a client to connect to my SMTP accounts. Is that good or bad?
            Yes.
            K9 Mail works perfectly for me. My ISP uses IMAP and the folders and emails on my ISP account download automatically, and upload automatically when I create a new folder or save an email in one of the folders. My ISP has a 15GB limit on emails but I never come close to that. Every so often I export the emails to a zip file and save them on an external HD/SSD/Pindrive. For sites that require an email address and I don't want them spamming me I use my Protonmail account, and every so often I log into it and delete everything.

I, too, am reducing Google's footprints on my system. Google, Facebook, Instagram, TickToc and several other websites try to plant tracking cookies along with their ad displays. I use a /etc/hosts file to reroute their attempts to the infinite bit bucket in the sky. I get that hosts file from
            https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
            and I use the one with the most entries, around 257,000. If one of the websites I visit is blocked I used Kate to open /etc/hosts and do a search for that domain name. I put "#" in front of the "0.0.0.0 somedomainname" and save the file, then retry the website. Using /etc/hosts in that manner speeds up browsing because 40 different websites aren't being successful in installing pixel trackers, cookies and other mischief on my box.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I, too, am reducing Google's footprints on my system. Google, Facebook, Instagram, TickToc and several other websites try to plant tracking cookies along with their ad displays. I use a /etc/hosts file to reroute their attempts to the infinite bit bucket in the sky. I get that hosts file from
              I have to say I'm too lazy for that. I use a combination of Firefox privacy plugins that do the trick for the most part, and they probably use a blacklist similar to the one you mentioned.
              Android pulled me into Google universe and while I'm not super excited about this, I'm not totally sold on custom ROMs for security reasons. I'd rather disable or ignore some of the Google-dependent functions of the phone instead. I've been waiting for Android 13's privacy settings for years before I switch away from iOS, and I think it's a huge improvement.

Comment

Working...
              X