X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freezing problems

Hi.

I have kubuntu 17.04 and often the computer froze forcing me to reboot. I do not know if it's a hardware or kubuntu problem, does anyone have it?

Thank you.

There is simply not enough information -- details -- in your post for anyone to be able to offer any assistance. You need to tell us, at a minimum, what you were/are doing when the 'freeze' happens. Also, details about your PC and hardware (video card especially) will be important.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello,

I have 4gb ram, quad core intel q9450 and graphic nvidia gtx550ti.

I have been with kubuntu for a while and I have not had this before but for some time now I have these random freezes.

Comment

Okay, when these "freezes" happen, what were you doing just before it happened?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

because it is something totally random, sometimes with dolphin, other times when running some application, other times while I am playing a game. It is random.

Comment

freezing problems

Get a can of air and blow the dust out of your box, especially around the CPU & GPU cooking fins. Then install a GPU temperature widget. Check the max temp for your GPU and set the widget to give a color warning 5-10 degrees under the max.

Do the same for your CPU. I have them setting side by side ion the task bar, just to the left of the system tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 17, 2017, 12:20 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

hello, I have controlled the temperatures with gkrellm and that is not the problem.

Comment

Then I suggest that you do a RAM test overnight from the boot menu.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

When your computer freezes, does Ctrl + Alt + F1 do anything?

I only ask because a couple of kubuntu releases ago I had issues with X11 and my graphics driver... long story short the symptoms appeared to be a frozen computer but in reality it was X11 that was stuck (not the whole computer). Also, are you using the nouveau or the nvidia proprietary driver?
                  Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                  tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

ctrl alt f1 does nothing, the computer is completely frozen and I have to reboot.

To see if it is solved, maybe it is some service or drivers that gives problems or the hardware.

It is difficult to know why there is no specific pattern for freezing.

Comment

Log files.

If nothing is in the log files corresponding to the "freeze" it's usually hardware related. Next time is freezes, not the precise time. Then reboot and start reading through the logs.

Please Read Me

Comment

"Next time it freezes note the precise time"...

Comment

okay.

Which files are the ones I should look at?

Comment

Run ksystemlog and look at all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X