Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i have window's desktop show in place of kubuntu's desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inside the file:
    /home/(user)/.config/user-dir.dirs

i changed :
    "$HOME/Desktop"
    to:
    "/media/(user)/windesk/....../Desktop"
    which is a dual boot windows ntfs folder

i was pleasantly surprised that when i clicked save in the Kate text editor, the changes were immediately seen on the kubuntu desktop

but upon reboot
    "/media/(user)/windesk/....../Desktop"
    ​was changed to :
    "$HOME"

"windesk" is what kubuntu calls my windows, "windesk" labeled ntfs partition

so i changed
    "$HOME"
    back to
    "$HOME/Desktop"
    ​and i was back where i started

taking a guess:
    1 kubuntu goes looking for the ntfs folder and doesn't find it
    2 does a temp fix on the user-dir.dirs file
    3 then mounts the ntfs partition that contains my folder of interest

what is really going on here? and
    my idea worked but did not survive reboot!
    i have 500mb playstation1 games in the windows "x:\(user)\documents\games" folder, if i can move the desktop then i can also move the documents too, etc...

background:
    the computer is an old fanless amd computer with 8gb pc3 ram
    trying to make a gaming machine for ps1 generation games and older like sega gensis, so far does well in windows11 and does not overheat in air-conditioned environment
    the computer doesn't meet win11's requirements, but there are ways around that
    since it is a thinclient, updating the bios is practically impossible, so it has a 2013, bios
    when i used gpt both windows and kubuntu upon powering down wouldn't finish powering down, but powers down now fine on mbr
    which 22.04 didn't like the mbr, so i told the installer not to install grub, and "grub2win" seems fine

if i learn enough about linux ill probably dual boot my main windows laptop.
    some of the things im doing on this amd machine ill want to do later on my main laptop, but of course i know ill have to use gpt even though i know gpt is connected to "intel's ME", which i hate, and have disabled on my laptop, by altering the bios.
    so im definitely a newbie on linux, and still shy about making the jump on my main laptop.

this is all really just one question with a lot of background:

"how do i have window's desktop show in place of kubuntu's desktop?"​
    Last edited by duane2064; Oct 02, 2022, 12:49 AM.

The directory is not mounted during boot/login, so it uses the default location.

You can try changing some settings for that drive in System Settings Removable Storage settings.
    But if setting it to automount at login still does not work, you will need to investigate adding it as a permanent mount in your fstab

One thing to consider is that using an NTFS directory for your Linux desktop directory might prove problematic, at the very least from file permission issues. Linux and Windows do behave differently at the file system levels. Just something to be aware of. You are probably fine if you are just sharing files between OSs

Comment

downloaded this program called disks
      Attached Files
      Last edited by duane2064; Oct 02, 2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

well i guess i cant upload full size images, anyway, this downloaded program has a nice gui for editing "fstab", you giving me the keyword fstab, helped me allot, google has a tendency to hide things you don't already know, that's great for politically dividing populations, but horrible for me to learn something new.

at first i was a little intimidated, but then i saw this pull down in the program called "identify as", and it gave me like 8 choices, the original was quite intimidating, but i found one i could understand.

then i found when i saved the screenshot it went to the old desktop location, so i found out i could do what i did in windows batch file "mklink", but in linux i didn't even have to use a terminal, i created a link for desktop, documents, downloads etc all to their windows equivalent, in less than 15seconds. as vader would say "impressive"

Comment

so now i have a new related question, my root partition is btrfs, and my home parititon is, i think, xfs, or something like that

so what is the best program for resizing my xfs home partition from 90g to maybe 5g, moving the 5g to the end of the remaining space?

then i can go to windows and since the adjacent partition is the windesk partition, i can reclaim that 85g space to that partition
          Last edited by duane2064; Oct 02, 2022, 03:16 PM.

Comment

i use five different partition programs in windows because each one is better at an individual task, and i know partition programs can really mess things up.

Comment

Working...
            X