This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to install Kubumto

I am trying to install Kubunto on a laptop, it loads the live CD but I cannot get it to install, just keeps loading the live CD.
    Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

We need more details please.

Is there another operating system on the laptop? Do you want to replace the existing OS or use Kubuntu alongside it? Have you possibly installed Kubuntu on the hard drive but haven't removed the live CD and so the laptop just boots again from the live CD (pretty obvious mistake to make but it can happen).

What happens when you try to install Kubuntu? Any error messages, etc?
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

When you load the live CD, there is an icon on the top left of the desktop which says "Install Kubuntu" click on that and follow the prompts. If you have already gone through those prompts and been told to restart the computer, then you no longer need the live CD and should remove it.

Comment

Thanks guys for the help.
        The disc I have is quite dated, and did not show the install, I found it in the system menu, now all is OK, will try to update it at some stage.

Comment

If your LiveCD is of a very old version of Kubuntu, "quite dated", I'd recommend downloading the ISO file of a more recent version, like 16.04.1 (Long Term Support - LTS), burning it to a CD using K3b or to a USB stick using dd, and then overwriting your "quite dated" release. Updating from 12.04 or earlier to 16.04 is not a recommended task, and 12.04 is no longer supported.

What is is your hardware? In a Konsole you can enter "sudo lshw" and "sudo lspci" and post the output here.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I had so much trouble with the install crashing, I downloaded Ubuntu and it installed OK and is working ok, except for a couple of problems, like the internet connection keeps disconnecting.

Comment

That's cool. What ever works for you!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X