This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] GUI config tools?

I started using Red Hat Linux in 1995, moved from that through Mandriva, Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, and last week to Fedora, which has made me very unhappy. I can't get any of the servers working, not Apache, ftp, or nfs, and there's no GUI to configure and start them. Editing files by hand without a clear set of steps to follow really stinks. I don't have time or interest in searching through wordy files all month long or cryptic man pages to figure out what has to be done, one subsystem at a time.

My question is, does Kubuntu currently have a decent GUI system (better than OpenSUSE's Yast,) which makes starting and configuring the servers actually easy and foolproof?
    --
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

no
    webmin, maybe?
    There are some third party admin tools for debian based systems, as well as for Linux servers in general
    Also, look at Ubuntu's wiki pages for less cryptic how-to's

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      no
      webmin, maybe?
      There are some third party admin tools for debian based systems, as well as for Linux servers in general
      Also, look at Ubuntu's wiki pages for less cryptic how-to's
      Do any of those tools have names? They'd be much easier to locate if I knew what they were named.
      --

Comment

I did a quick search to find them
        Other than webmin I have never heard of any of them.

Comment

What kind of server do you want? What do you want to do with it? Maybe one of us knows a good guide for you or can walk you through the steps.

Comment

Well, I was running OpenSUSE with Apache, NFS, and vsFTPd, but OpenSUSE has a tool called Yast which can be used to configure just about everything installed, including the firewall.

I haven't actually got Kubuntu installed yet because I'm having problems installing the ISO file on a disk and making it bootable. I used it to install several versions of OpenSUSE, and last week Fedora, but after using dd to write the Kubuntu ISO file to the thumbdrive it won't boot. Instead it just hangs the system.

After I solve that problem I'm wondering how to add two more primary partitions to sda when the partition tool won't allow more than the four existing partitions. It won't even allow me to create an extended partition so I can add the two primary partitions.
            --

Comment

Originally posted by rwbehne1 View Post
              Well, I was running OpenSUSE with Apache, NFS, and vsFTPd, but OpenSUSE has a tool called Yast which can be used to configure just about everything installed, including the firewall.
              no we do not have a "yast" like GUI for this ,,,,,,But a google search for any one of them will get you setup guides just add Ubuntu before the search term ,,,,,,,,,, "Ubuntu nfs"

I haven't actually got Kubuntu installed yet because I'm having problems installing the ISO file on a disk and making it bootable. I used it to install several versions of OpenSUSE, and last week Fedora, but after using dd to write the Kubuntu ISO file to the thumbdrive it won't boot. Instead it just hangs the system.
              possibly to many DD's ,,,,try zeroing out the USB stick first then dding the .ISO to it ,,,,,,,,,,dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc ,,,IF the system is seeing the stick as /sdc ,,,,,use "Parted -l "with the stick plugged in to see ,,,and do not get it wrong you will wipe a drive ...this will take a long time depending on the size of the stick

After I solve that problem I'm wondering how to add two more primary partitions to sda when the partition tool won't allow more than the four existing partitions. It won't even allow me to create an extended partition so I can add the two primary partitions.
              you must have an MSDOS partition table ,,,you can have only 4 ,,,,if you want more than 4 in this setup the 4th one must be the "extended" containing the rest of the space on the disk ,,,,then you can create as many logical partitions as needed .

exampel ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo parted -l
              [sudo] password for vinny: 
              Model: ATA HGST HTS725050A7 (scsi)
              Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
              Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
              Partition Table: msdos
              Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
              1      8225kB  323GB  323GB   primary   btrfs           boot
              3      323GB   379GB  56.3GB  primary   ext4
              [COLOR=#ff0000] 4      379GB   496GB  117GB   extended[/COLOR]
              6      379GB   436GB  57.0GB  logical   ext4
              5      436GB   496GB  59.8GB  logical   ext4
              2      496GB   500GB  4295MB  primary   linux-swap(v1)
              yes mine are out of order .

VINNY
              Last edited by vinnywright; Aug 22, 2017, 03:11 PM.
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OOPS just found your other post that tells how big that drive is ,,,,,,,,3TB ,,,,,yes as you were told (by some realy good ones) you need a GPT partition table or BTRFS follow the advice in that thread on that .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Apache is voodoo sauce to me. I have it running, but only by following a kindergarten level how-to. NFS is easy, takes like five minutes. Never had a use for FTP.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X