X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting system sound events in Kubuntu

Hi all,

My first post so greetings to everyone!

Browsing for my next OS, I've been trying out some KDE based distros on a VM because KDE looks wonderful, stable on the tests I made so far and it is customizable from top to bottom. Kubuntu was naturally the one distro that got my eye, first because of the community and second... am I wrong or is Kubuntu transforming into a lightweight distro? My VM of Kubuntu 17.04 says it's out of the box using 0.43GiB or ram, that's less than my current Mate distro uses!

Now my question, there's something I could not figure out concerning system sound events, I found a lot of system sound events in the settings in Notifications but I could not find the 'regular' system sound events, i.e. traditional libcanberra 's sounds to open a window, to close a window, to maximize a window, to press a button, to open and close a menu, change a tab and so on:
    Code:
    window-new
      window-close
      window-minimized
      window-unminimized
      window-maximized
      window-unmaximized
      notebook-tab-changed
      item-selected
      link-pressed
      link-released
      button-pressed
      button-released
      menu-click
      button-toggle-on
      button-toggle-off
      menu-popup
      menu-popdown
      menu-replace
      tooltip-popup
      tooltip-popdown
      expander-toggle-on
      expander-toggle-off
    Where can I set these and where can I change the system sound theme?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi pemartins, and welcome to Kubuntu Forums!

The functions for window action sounds were removed in Kubuntu sometime between 12.04 and 14.04 because they were apparently dropped in KDE v4.10.

I was rather disappointed with this move myself as in 12.04 I had the window minimize, maximize, close, etc sounds set up.

You can read more about the change in a Manjaro forum post here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/calling-...t-sounds/12772
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

SystemSettings --> Notifications allows setting of audio notifications for several events. I use them to tell me when my email is sent successfuly, etc...
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I switch between the Wilhelm scream and the Sad trombone sound for when my power chord is detached.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Thank you all very much for the help.

It's really weird that those system sounds got removed, that's a clear loss on the user experience. I really like (and want) those kind of sounds, it gives that more 'alive' feeling to the computer. If one gotta be on a computer for hours everyday, anything that makes the experience more pleasant is always welcome.

I had posted the same question at KDE forum a couple of days ago or so, I got helped today and curiously the same link @Rod J gently provided was mentioned there also. In that link a script is talked about, is there something that can be added to Kubuntu/KDE to bring those sound events back?
          Is there a chance of using libcanberra?

@GreyGeek yes I saw those, the ones I couldn't find where the ones mentioned on the first post, window and click related.

@SpecialEd come on man, how many heart attacks have you caused when you unplug the power cord with the Wilhelm scream?
          I use the gentle sound of a british lady telling the either "the power cord is plugged" or "the power cord is unplugged" when I attach or detach the power cord. Made it here with Pico2Wave English English female voice. Also used it for the channel testing sounds and of course, for the battery voice alarms.
          No one gets killed by heart attack that way!

Comment

Working...
          X