Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Good or bad idea?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Good or bad idea?

Hello

Are the two interchangeable? For example I have Kubuntu installed and was tempted to install a package from the Ubuntu website. Is that reasonable?
    Another example is, if you had an Ubuntu laptop with boot problems, is booting from a Kubuntu USB drive to make repairs to the Ubuntu system reasonable?

What about just to repair the boot/partition records on the Unbuntu machine? Is is safe to assume that it is ok as the partition info is OS agnostic? Whereas the packages would be OS specific and so will not mix?

Thanks gents, I hope you had a nice lunch

the core system is the same on Ubuntu and Kubuntu the difference is the DE (desktop environment) ,,,,you can install non KDE packages , but from their website ? which one ?

the repair scenario is ok

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny glad to hear the repair idea was ok. I was worried as I had already done that and was having problems!

I was looking at installing testdisk to try and fix my drive issues (see multiple other threads!) but could only find it on the Ubuntu site

Comment

Originally posted by SumBloke View Post
        Thanks Vinny glad to hear the repair idea was ok. I was worried as I had already done that and was having problems!

I was looking at installing testdisk to try and fix my drive issues (see multiple other threads!) but could only find it on the Ubuntu site
        what do you meen by site?,,,,,, it should be in your package manager

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search testdisk
        Sorting... Done
        Full Text Search... Done
        testdisk/xenial 7.0-1 amd64
         Partition scanner and disk recovery tool, and PhotoRec file recovery tool

testdisk-dbg/xenial 7.0-1 amd64
         Partition scanner and disk recovery tool, and PhotoRec file recovery tool
        VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

The machine is not online as it wont boot. On another computer I was looking at https://pkgs.org/download/testdisk but it is Ubuntu software.

Comment

And is it ok to use commands in the Kubuntu terminal that I read on Ubuntu support forums?

And when you said "you can install non KDE packages" Does that mean you can install Unbuntu packages on Kubuntu but not the other way around?

Comment

The machine is not online as it wont boot. On another computer I was looking at https://pkgs.org/download/testdisk but it is Ubuntu software.
              Kubuntu is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop environment . you can use that package.

And is it ok to use commands in the Kubuntu terminal that I read on Ubuntu support forums?
              yes as long as the commands don't call for a app that is not in one or the other ,,,,,,,,like if the command calls for "gedit" you would use "kate" or "nautilus" you would use "dolphin" these are apps that are specific to the DE ,,,,,,,,

And when you said "you can install non KDE packages" Does that mean you can install Unbuntu packages on Kubuntu but not the other way around?
              no you can install anything that is for the ver, of *buntu you are running ,,,,,,,,you could install kate in Ubuntu or gedit in Kubuntu ,,,,,,but why.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Thank you that was very helpful

Comment

Working...
                X