X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu doesn't start

Goodnight!
    I installed kubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64 virtualized by Hyper-V, on a computer with Windows 11. When I try to open the virtual machine, Kubuntu does not load. How do I resolve and use this operating system?

From WIn 11 documentation:
    "The requested operation could not be completed due to a virtual disk system limitation. Virtual hard disk files must be uncompressed and unencrypted and must not be sparse.
    • Deselect “Compress contents” (as well as “Encrypt contents” if that’s checked) by opening the profile folder for your Linux distribution. It should be located in a folder on your Windows file system, something like: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGrou pLimited..."
    I haven't run WinXX in a long time, so I am just throwing out what Microsoft writes. That info may only apply to WSL or WSL2 installations, but there's probably no harm in checking, and if you used compression and encryption and formatted your VD sparsely then you can reinstall and don't use those features.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good Morning!
      Thanks for the answer. I will try that and get back to you.

Comment

Good Morning!
        Unfortunately I couldn't start kubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64 on the Hyper-V virtual machine, on Windows 11. It displays the following message on load:
        "[ 1.133305 piix4_smbus 000:00:07.3: SMBus base address uninitialized - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr"
        Can you help me again?
        Attached Files

Comment

You need to add a kernel boot parameter, "force_addr=0xaddr", to the end of that line. This link explains how.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good Morning! I can't edit grub permanently. What would be the command to do this in kubuntu-22.04?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandre Carlos
              Good Morning! I can't edit grub permanently. What would be the command to do this in kubuntu-22.04?
              After booting (assuming that this parameter works for you) you would need to follow the instruction in Greygeek's link to edit the /etc/default/grub file, as described in the bottom half of the page.
              You can use Kate or Kwrite if you don't want to use Nano - these GUI text editors will prompt you for your password when saving the file, so there is no need to run them with sudo or as root.

You need to edit the file, and then update grub, as described.

Comment

To Mr. GreyGeek and Claydoh, I thank you very much for your help. I finally managed to install it. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X