This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing extras from a cd

Hi I've installed Kubuntu however I'm not sure whether the ethernet card has installed correctly (I think some messages might of flashed up during installation about not finding it but amn't sure). The ethernet card did work when windows was previously installed on the system. How can I find out whether the card is installed properly? The light lights up on it but thats it, have I perhaps not configured it correctly? I need to replace the sound card in the pc as well should Kubuntu automatically recongnise it or what do I do?

Also I need to download the codecs which will enable me to watch divx's on it but due to the above I can't, is there anyway of downloading the codecs via my windows pc off the web then installing them onto Kubuntu?

Any help will be very very gratefully recieved thanks
    Harry

Re: Installing extras from a cd

Originally posted by rohanhf
    Hi I've installed Kubuntu however I'm not sure whether the ethernet card has installed correctly (I think some messages might of flashed up during installation about not finding it but amn't sure). The ethernet card did work when windows was previously installed on the system. How can I find out whether the card is installed properly? The light lights up on it but thats it, have I perhaps not configured it correctly? I need to replace the sound card in the pc as well should Kubuntu automatically recongnise it or what do I do?
    This is a good guide to troubleshoot network, perhaps you can start there:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87643

Also I need to download the codecs which will enable me to watch divx's on it but due to the above I can't, is there anyway of downloading the codecs via my windows pc off the web then installing them onto Kubuntu?
    You can download a .deb package and install it by right-clicking on it and choosing Kubuntu Package Menu>Install (Alternatively you can use the 'dpkg -i' console command, see 'man dpkg')

Comment

Re: Installing extras from a cd

Originally posted by kubicle
      You can download a .deb package and install it by right-clicking on it and choosing Kubuntu Package Menu>Install (Alternatively you can use the 'dpkg -i' console command, see 'man dpkg')
      Can you download these files onto a windows machine and burn them to disk? If so where can you find them? (most importantly need VLC player ,I think).

Comment

Working...
      X