This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scrcpy again!

Hello all, i have been reading the various threads about this, and might as well have been reading in Vulcan (in which language i do not even have holiday phrases).

Some months ago, i got this app working fine, just plug in, type the magic letters into Konsole, and up comes the screen.

i haven't used it for some time until today, when i cannot get access. the Konsole result is as follows:

keithmedion@keithMedion-H61H2-LM3:~$ scrcpy
    INFO: scrcpy 1.17 <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>
    /usr/share/scrcpy/scrcpy-server: 1 f...ed. 0.6 MB/s (34012 bytes in 0.054s)
    [server] INFO: Device: samsung SM-A526B (Android 12)
    INFO: Renderer: opengl
    INFO: OpenGL version: 3.0 Mesa 21.2.6
    INFO: Trilinear filtering enabled
    INFO: Initial texture: 1080x2400
    WARN: Device disconnected
    [server] ERROR: Exception on thread Thread[main,5,main]
    java.lang.AssertionError: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at com.genymobile.scrcpy.wrappers.SurfaceControl.setD isplaySurface(S
    urfaceControl.java:75)
    at com.genymobile.scrcpy.ScreenEncoder.setDisplaySurf ace(ScreenEncod
    er.java:243)
    at com.genymobile.scrcpy.ScreenEncoder.internalStream Screen(ScreenEn
    coder.java:91)
    at com.genymobile.scrcpy.ScreenEncoder.streamScreen(S creenEncoder.ja
    va:60)
    at com.genymobile.scrcpy.Server.scrcpy(Server.java:80 )
    at com.genymobile.scrcpy.Server.main(Server.java:252)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.nativeFinishIn it(Native Metho
    d)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeIn it.java:374)
    Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.genymobile.scrcpy.wrappers.SurfaceControl.setD isplaySurface(S
    urfaceControl.java:73)
    ... 7 more
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: displayToken must not be null
    at android.view.SurfaceControl$Transaction.setDisplay Surface(Surface
    Control.java:3370)
    at android.view.SurfaceControl.setDisplaySurface(Surf aceControl.java
    :2344)
    ... 9 more
    WARN: Killing the server...
    keithmedion@keithMedion-H61H2-LM3

i have been into Developer Options on my Samsung A52 with Android 12, and USB debugging is on. The phone asks permission to share data, accept, and then the above.

Can anyone with more knowledge than me (and that means everyone on the Forum) tell me how to proceed?
    Keith M

I'm unfamiliar with scrcpy, but I'm wondering what it can do that KDEConnect cannot? KDEConnect works great for me with my Android devices.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Have you tried reinstalling it?

DYK, scrcpy does quite a lot more than KDE Connect.
      They do different things, actually. Scr puts your phone on the big monitor, and lets you use your mouse and keyboard with it. Cut&paste included.
      Using it over WiFi is a bit of a PITA, but USB is easy peasy.

Comment

Don B, thanks for that, i did as you suggest, uninstalled and reinstalled, then got this

eithmedion@keithMedion-H61H2-LM3:~$ scrcpy
        scrcpy 1.23 <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>
        ERROR: Device is unauthorized:
        ERROR: --> (usb) R5CR41M01EX unauthorized
        ERROR: A popup should open on the device to request authorization.
        ERROR: Check the FAQ: <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy/blob/master/FAQ.
        md>
        ERROR: Server connection failed

i checked the github page suggested, but none of the suggestions seem relevant to the latest Android software, so i will have to do some more digging when the sun (yes sun in the south west of Scotland) isn't shining.

In the meantime, i sent the convoluted text i needed to send using the message app, and i must say that predictive text has improved enormously over time!
        Keith M

Comment

If "Device is unauthorized"... have you tried searching for that error?
          Maybe this page...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            DYK, scrcpy does quite a lot more than KDE Connect.
            They do different things, actually. Scr puts your phone on the big monitor, and lets you use your mouse and keyboard with it. Cut&paste included.
            Using it over WiFi is a bit of a PITA, but USB is easy peasy.
            Thanks for that! As noted, I'm unfamiliar with it, so I had no idea.

Just FYI, KDEConnect has a lot of features, most of which I never use, but the one I find most useful is its copy/paste function from/to either device. IOW, I copy some text on my laptop, then go to my phone and paste it. That feature alone makes hair-pulling much less necessary! (I prefer typing on a nice big laptop, rather than pecking away with one finger on my phone, making countless errors, backing up a million times to correct them, etc.) It also allows controlling the Android's media player and vice versa, plus a bunch of other stuff. For my needs, it's fine.
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Well, with scrcpy, you can type directly on the phone with your laptop keyboard.
              I particularly like it for those pesky banking apps that require you to enter passwords, SMS codes, etc.

Comment

Well, with scrcpy, you can type directly on the phone with your laptop keyboard.
                I particularly like it for those pesky banking apps that require you to enter passwords, SMS codes, etc.
                KDE Connect does that.....

.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220423-144046.png
Views:	1213
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	662437 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220423_144006.png
Views:	1201
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	662439 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220423-144019.png
Views:	1189
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	662438 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220423-144114.png
Views:	1200
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	662440

Comment

Thanks to claydoh I now know that's one of KDEC's many features I've never used!

Comment

The easiest way to describe scrcpy is remote desktop with your phone. KDE connect is great but it's not really an alternative app to this.

Comment

Thanks everyone, and to Don B i had used the page you referenced, but yesterday, when entering 'adb kill-server' i was just getting 'command not found'. Today i got command not found but can be installed... which i did, i then followed the item with the number 51 to its left on the stackoverflow page, got the request to authorise this computer, ticked the 'always' box and hey presto, all working again.
                      My motto, when something works, don't worry too much about why it didn't.
                      Keith M

Comment

Working...
                      X