This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... where's the GUI!?

I downloaded and installed Kubuntu 5.10 with the default options. I booted my system and instead of the KDE graphical desktop, I get a command prompt. I thought that Kubuntu came with KDE preinstalled! How can I configure and enable the X system so I can run KDE?

Re: So... where's the GUI!?

Did you do an expert install or a standard install (or--gasp!--a server install)? A standard install should automatically give you a GUI. However, since you're at the command prompt, have you tried typing this?
    Code:
    startx
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
      since you're at the command prompt, have you tried typing this?
      Code:
      startx
      Or try sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      cheers!
      -=|From the desk of|=-
      «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
      «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
      «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
      Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Neither worked. I configured X fine, but when I typed "startx" I got an error, and that it was "skipping files" and that there was a failure. I'll write the error down when I get some time.

I had some boot errors before trying (it froze after "checking battery state") and reinstalled. I noticed that it never, EVER said anything about X. Here's how my install went:

1. I turned on the computer and booted from the kubuntu CD. (the one with just the installer)
        2. At the boot prompt, I pressed enter (so I did a default install)
        3. The setup detects hardware and whines to me that my network isn't working (I don't have one)
        4. I setup the partitions.
        5. It installs the base system and extra packages without prompting me at all-- no asking what I want or anything like I've experienced with other distos
        6. It pops out the CD and says stage 1 is done and I need to boot from the hard drive to continue.
        7. I successfully boot from hard drive and install starts. It configures all the packages, including KDE and X...
        8. The install finishes and I setup an account.
        9. It drops me back to the prompt.

So I tried configuring X. It found all my devices fine, but no luck... the only thing I can think of is that I was in a hurry and didn't restart the computer or anything (but it never said I had to)

So what's going on and why didn't it configure and start X as default? I'm using the right ISO (kubuntu-5.10-install-i386.iso)

Comment

Working...
        X