Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get dependencies to an off line laptop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,
    I've just managed, I think, to get Kubuntu 14 running on a very old laptop thanks to some of the very helpful people on here. Now I have a new problem, I want to have this laptop as an off-line only machine, using it for storage only. So I want it to never have been online.

My problem is that an app I want to install, requires some dependencies. How do I get those without going online with the laptop?

I only have a windows laptop to work with online. Is there a place/site I can go to and download the dependencies and then transfer them across on a usb stick or something like that?

Thanks for any help or tips you can give

You should be able to load the PPA or source page in a browser, download any files you need, them install them manually. However, what about updates? Also, not all dependencies are clear. What order do they need to be installed in? The only time I've done this is when I had no choice because the network drivers were missing from a particular machine (this years many many years ago). This can also be a PITA because you may have to try 4 or 5 or more times to get the install to work because of dependency ordering, etc. In theory, you could download everything and build your own repository locally and install/update from there.

So OK, you don't want to keep the machine on-line all the time, I get that. But why not connect it for the few minutes it takes to install and update? Seems like you're setting yourself up for a huge amount of work for no benefit I can see. It's not like connecting it to the internet, running apt, then disconnecting it, is going to alert the NSA or bring the MPAA down on your head. You won't get a rootkit or virus or WannaCry that way either.

Well, I think I've made my point. What you're asking can be done but I can't imagine why anyone would want to. Good luck.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the helpful reply oshunluvr
      I know what you mean. You can call me paranoid if you like. But 8 times bitten multiple times shy. And I do have good reason for wanting a laptop that has never been online. Maybe its not necessary but im not going to take the chance.

Do you know where I could find that PPA or source page. Im going to give it a try as I only need one app, so hopefully it wont be too much work. I think i know the dependency order. and how can you be sure that I wont get a virus?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by SumBloke View Post
        and how can you be sure that I wont get a virus?
        This tells me you're new to Linux. This is not an insult - we all were once. I started using Linux full time the third time a child of mine infected my machine with a virus from an apparently innocuous child game site. That was 1996ish and the last time I had to deal with a virus.

The short answer is: We don't get viruses. If this is what you're worried about, forget it - seriously. There is Linux based anti-virus software buts it's to remove virus from emails and other files before sending them to a Windows machine., not for us.

For example, if you downloaded an email attachment from an unknown source that actually contained a virus, it would have to be a virus that worked on Linux systems (there aren't many), AND you would have to give it your root or sudo password before it could do anything. So don't give your password to any random junk you receive or download. Done.

The Canonical PPAs (or any others I know of) won't deliver you a virus. You might occasionally encounter a poorly packaged or re-worked .deb from a private PPA that might cause a problem, but these too are rare and are most often immediately discovered and fixed. More often than not, simply removing the offending package is the only required fix and damage is even more rare, bordering on unheard of.

I encourage you to search the internet and look for stories about Linux viruses. If you find any, they will either be articles about the systems where they are stored for educational and forensic purposes, or they will be FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). I have never, in my 20+ years of using Linux, come across a legitimate report of a Linux virus in the wild. Period. But it's only been 20 years so maybe I missed one

A last few points on this topic: Most of the potential threat comes from the WWW via exploits in your browser or email program. Installing and updates via apt doesn't use the WWW. The internet yes, but not the WWW. They are not the same thing. There is no avenue I know of that will result in a virus on a Linux system if all you're doing is running apt for updates and upgrades or to add software UNLESS you purposely approve a virus laden PPA (I know of none) AND give your password - you'd have to do it on purpose. Finally: The surest way to have an INSECURE Linux install is to NOT do regular updates. Updates are bug fixes and are to remove potential vulnerabilities. NOT updating is generally considered unsafe, not the other way around.

So, back to your question: The latest packages are available here.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you truly want to keep your laptop offline you should check out Sushi-Huh? and the Keryx Project.
          Sushi-Huh? http://sushi-huh.sourceforge.net/
          Keryx Project https://launchpad.net/keryxproject
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Great post oshun and yes, I am a newbie to Linux! Tried a few times over the years to switch over from Windows but never made it due to time restrictions and the learning curve. Too busy to find the time to learn.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. OK I think Ill give it a go then. Which brings up another concern, will my old laptop be able to handle all the OS updates? It took a good effort to get Kubunto 14 going because of the PAE limitation thingy, my old Compac nc8000 had to be beaten into it. It doesnt feel too sturdy. If i could just install this one app I would be delighted and leave it at that.

Thanks for the link, but, isnt that to Ubuntu packages and not Kubuntu which is what im using? Or does that not matter?

Also, whats the best place where I can find answers to questions like "How can i update Kubuntu" and "how to download Kubuntu dependencies" without clogging up this forum?

Thanks again for the excellent info :-)

Comment

+1000 for what Oshunluver said.
              I'll add that the biggest security hole in Linux is the user. Everything, and I mean everything, in Linux is a file. Devices, sockets, pipes, etc. For an application to run in Linux it has to be a file saved on the storage medium. IOW, it has to be saved. Only you can do that. Secondly, it has to be either a special script or an ELF binary. Thirdly, the execution bit has to be set. You have to do that. Fourthly, YOU have to deliberately run it. There are no "activeX" objects in Linux.

Repositories are vetted and packages are checked against gpg keys. So, don't download packages willy nilly from just any website.

Also, turn on your firewall (ufw) to protect against remote attacks by blackhats. You may not have anything important on your computer but blackhats would use it as a bot or c&c in their bot farm.

Finally, avoid "local" attacks by keeping your hardware in secure locations when you aren't using it. You can't stop a hack if they possess your computer.

I've only been using Linux for 19 years but I have never encountered a Linux virus, and that was running Linux without a firewall for half that time. Anti-viruses for Linux are a waste of CPU cycles.

All of the Linux systems that have been compromised have been so through social engineering or personal carelessness. Letting a "friend" use your password, etc., or believing some guy with an Indian accent who calls to warn you that your computer is infected and he wants to help you clean it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by GreyGeek; May 24, 2017, 06:42 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Also, whats the best place where I can find answers to questions like "How can i update Kubuntu" and "how to download Kubuntu dependencies" without clogging up this forum?
                You won't be "clogging up this forum"; it's what we are here for.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  You won't be "clogging up this forum"; it's what we are here for.
                  If I may add, regardless of the distro you choose, this forum is probably the best source of knowledge, experience and civility. A very good signal to noise ratio here.
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Thank you. It's so nice of you all to take time to help like this.
                    I'll be back soon no doubt with more questions as it seems everyting I try quickly runs up against insurmountable (or almost) problems.
                    For example I tried those two ideas Arochester, both quickly ran into problems

Sushi huh wouldnt run as it was looking for files that weren't there and Keryx also failed. Ill post more details of my next insurmountable this evening with luck

Thanks again to everyone

Comment

Hi greygeek, could you explain how to turn on that firewall you mentioned please? Im using v 14
                      Im taking the advice on this thread and going to connect, update and get those flaming dependencies once and for all!!

Thank you

Comment

Hi greygeek, could you explain how to turn on that firewall you mentioned please? Im using v 14
                        Im taking the advice on this thread and going to connect, update and get those flaming dependencies once and for all!!

Thank you
                        I'm not smart enough to use the command line interface (CLI) on iptables anymore so I use gufw, the gui for ufw. But, if you can't install it there is a tutorial on how to use the CLI to control the firewall.

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-14-04
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK Im having some success in that the app i wanted to use has installed. But, when I go to run it nothing happens. Im not sure how to approach this in Linux, I have the latest version of the app so kind of stuck once again.

Comment

What app is it?
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog, I think everything is fixed now. It was all to do with dependencies which was fixed with sudo apt install -f
                              I think Im going to enjoy this Linux now that Im at least beginning to understand the basics.
                              Could anyone recommend a good video for beginners as Ive watched so many poor ones my eyes hurt.

Thanks for all the help everyone :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X