This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot K21 & W10, can't get permission for files and folders

I started dual-booting back when Vista came out. I have mostly used Windows since then, going for a few years at a time between using Linux. But, I have always set my pc up this way? Two or three partitions of less than 500 mb, for windows boot files. Then Partition A, would be Windows, Partition C, would be Linux, and Partition B, is a shared partition, usually fat. I set the partition in either OS, and grant permissions to other OS. Then open file manager, or Libre Office whatever and open a file, do what I need to do. Then save my work and move on.

However now, I set up the shared Folder through Windows 10, and did what it would let me to give permission to the Kubuntu install. Kubuntu, automounts the partition. Dolphin goes through the entire partition with no problem. Libre Office, has to recover every document I try to open. I can not copy from any folder, or file, I can not save a new file to that partition, I can't even move files from one folder to another on that partition.

I have not tried to chmod or whatever the other command is called. Because every post I have found here or on Google, that mentions those two commands, are not the same situation I have. Most of those are when files are on another HDD, not just a partition, or it's two machines on a network. Or there is some other difference (which I can't remember at the second), knowing how bad I can screw up doing something when I don't understand it, I wanted to get some advice first. Not to mention one thread I saw, had at least 12 different commands to do the same thing. (chmod -r, chmod, chmod -r (uname)(Fname), type out the command, then a modifier and retype the original command again. Using sudo nautilus, to open the partition and change ownership, or permissions, or both. I don't really care which OS owns the files as long as I have free access to the files when I need to. I want to be able to rearrange, delete, add new folder or files.

This is technically a second issue, but it's the same files. I usually only do one question per question, but I thought I would go ahead and mention this. When I set up the shared partition, I went to my files and folders in Windows, and clicked properties, clicked Location, and find target, and moved that folder/file to the new partition. I'm having a problem getting Kubuntu to do the same. It's been a couple months since I really tried, so I don't remember everything, but I know one time, I had two folders titled Documents, then one Doc folder was inside the other Doc folder. Or the error said uanble to move here, location does not exist, trying to put folder inside itself, and some other things. That was after I was just unable to find the correct procedure to do this. Maybe it's my search skills, but I usually find what I'm looking for. This part we can skip for now if we need to, I just wanted you to understand exactly what I'm trying to do.

Do you have "fast boot" in Windows turned off?
    Regards, John Little

Comment

AFAIK, if fast boot is enabled it won't mount the file system at all. At least that was my experience last week trying to help a friend un-screw their windows computer. Sound more like permissions problems to me, as in how it is being mounted.

always-the-noob, As far as your comment here:

I have not tried to chmod or whatever the other command is called. Because every post I have found here or on Google, that mentions those two commands, are not the same situation I have. Most of those are when files are on another HDD, not just a partition, or it's two machines on a network.
      You're perception is mostly incorrect. A file system is mounted. Doesn't matter if it on the same drive, different drive - same computer, or a network share. They all are accessed the same way mostly. Permission to access is required. How you go about mounting those different file systems and setting permissions vary somewhat- especially with network shares.

Most importantly is you state "Kubuntu, automounts the partition." This is also not true unless you have done something to make that happen. No Kubuntu install I've ever encountered since I started using Kubuntu 9.04 "automounts" fixed drive file systems without some settings from the user. It only mounts what was set at installation time. More likely Dolphin (more correctly a KIO-slave via Dolphin) is mounting the partition when you click on the file system in Dolphin under "Devices". This is likely the source of your issue because the permissions used by Dolphin may not be what you need.

The "correct" way to mount file systems on a fixed drive installed in your computer is to insert an entry in /etc/fstab. It's not the only way, but it is the intended and most stable way. Also, it is standard to mount a file system under the /mnt folder in a subfolder. I'll use /mnt/shared

You didn't really provide any technical information like the drive and partition device name, so lets assume /dev/sda3. You would insert a line like this at the end of /etc/fstab
      Code:
      /dev/sda3  /mnt/shared ntfs defaults
      Make sure you leave a blank line after the last line in fstab, then save the file. Next, make the mount target folder. Using a terminal (Konsole);
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /mnt/shared
      Now enter this in the terminal;
      sudo mount /mnt/shared
      If you get an error message, read it carefully. IIRC, fuse and ntfs-3g packages are installed by default so you should be OK.
      If you don't get any errors, open Dolphin and navigate to the /mnt/shared folder and see if your files are there. Try copying a file from one folder to another and opening one with LibreOffice. If everything works, then you're done. If not - if there are still some permission problems we'll need to look at the mounts options used in the default settings.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        AFAIK, if fast boot is enabled it won't mount the file system at all.
        Unless that has changed since I last dual-booted with windows, it will mount as if in error, which is normally read-only.

Regards, John Little

Comment

• oshunluvr
          oshunluvr commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, My friend got a login re-direct attack from an email, so I booted to a live USB, I believe it was gparted, and it reported the windows partition as "corrupted" and wouldn't mount it. Luckily I was able to boot windows into recovery mode, bypass the redirect, and remove it. I then set fast boot to OFF so I could access it the next time he messes up, lol.

Something like this:
          Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
          Failed to mount ‘/dev/sda5’: Operation not permitted
          The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
          Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
          read-only with the ‘ro’ mount option.

Maybe it was hibernated rather than fast boot causing it.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 09, 2022, 06:32 PM.
      Working...
      X