X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with the chattr command

Hi.

When I run the sudo chattr + i /etc/resolv.conf command I get the following message:

Chattr: The operation is not supported while the flags were being read in /etc/resolv.conf

Why do not you let me run this command?

Thank you.

What version of Kubuntu?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jony127 View Post
      When I run the sudo chattr + i /etc/resolv.conf command I get the following message:
      Chattr: The operation is not supported while the flags were being read in /etc/resolv.conf
      In newer versions of kubuntu, /etc/resolv.conf is a symbolic link to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf (because the resolvconf program is in charge of handling /etc/resolv.conf).

And the 'chattr' command doesn't work on symbolic links (instead you should use chattr on the target file if you wish to change it's properties).

I assume you have a reason why you wish to make it immutable?

Comment

Yeah, these days to modify resolv.conf manually and keep the edits, go to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/ and edit base, head, and tail there.

Please Read Me

Comment

Okay thanks, as soon as I can prove it.

I'm doing some testing with dnscrypt and that's why I have to protect that file.

Comment

making a:
            Sudo chattr + i /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
            Chattr: ioctl function not suitable for device while reading flags in /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

I get the same result.

The base and head files that oshunluvr comments on /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/ are empty.

Comment

making a:
              Sudo chattr + i /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
              Chattr: ioctl function not suitable for device while reading flags in /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

I get the same result.
              Ah sorry, /run is on tmpfs which (as you found out) also does not support extended attributes.

The base and head files that oshunluvr comments on /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/ are empty.
              There are no settings there by default, but if you put settings there, they'll be included in the dynamic resolv.conf.

For example you could append:
              nameserver ip.address.of.primarydns
              nameserver ip.address.of.secondarydns
              (replace "ip.address.of.XXXdns" entries with the actual ip addresses)

to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head and these will be included in resolv.conf upon reconnection

Comment

Yes they are. You have to edit them. It seemed to me like what you were really after was control over resolv.conf.

stuart@office:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
                # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
                # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
                domain smith.lan
                search smith.lan
                nameserver 192.168.1.1
                stuart@office:~$ cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
                # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
                # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
                stuart@office:~$ cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
                stuart@office:~$ cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
                domain smith.lan
                search smith.lan
                nameserver 192.168.1.1
                stuart@office:~$

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X