This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GLX Question Round 2

I've managed to properly install GLX from the nvidia script, but I can't seem to make the driver show up in system settings or anywhere else. It's definitely on there, but I need help to make Kubuntu see it.

Re: GLX Question Round 2

but I can't seem to make the driver show up in system settings or anywhere else.
    What do you mean?

Comment

I'm back!

Comment

Yes! I finally got back in. I was locked out of the forums for some time. Hurray! I sent you an email about it but I guess you didn't notice.

Glad to see you back, will. You may not be the only one who knows anything, but most of the people in the Help the New Guy forum make me look smart. Here's the message I've been trying to send to you:

OK. I don't think the driver installs to the place where Kubuntu stores the rest of its video drivers. It would show up in menu>system settings>display>hardware if it was in the right place. I believe the pkg-config file was responsible for placing the driver during the install. So, really the problem with the shell-script install is the polar opposite of the problem with the repository install. The repository install showed up but would not work. The shell-script install probably works because it custom compiled a bunch of stuff for my machine-type, but has installed to the wrong directory to be recognized by X. Also, using x-config or the xorg.conf setup at the very end of the install results in a broken startup. If it helps, the files I had to get during the install were:

binutils
        gcc
        make
        libc
        pkg-config
        xorg-dev

Thanks,
        Sam

Comment

I'm on my way into work right now, I'll try and think of a solution and post back later on.

Will

Comment

Hiya,

It would show up in menu>system settings>display>hardware if it was in the right place.
            What shows up there now? It should say nvidia instead of nv, at least it does for me.
            but has installed to the wrong directory to be recognized by X.
            I don't know how that's possible.

From konsole:
            Code:
            nvidia-xconfig
            that will generate you a new xorg.conf file using the nvidia tool and if that doesn't work, rerun the X setup
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
            which essentially does the same thing, but will ask you questions about your mouse/keyboard as well.

Hope this works,

Will

Comment

I've already tried this a bunch of times. No matter what I do, the binary driver will not show up in the system settings menu. And by now I know that the driver will fail for sure if it doesn't show up there. I'm interested in what a guide called 'nvidia manual' on the Ubuntu wiki says. If you could take a look at this document for me and tell me whether this is what I should be using, I would greatly appreciate it. I know it seems like there is a problem with my method, not the machine, but I've done all this stuff about a million times without any success. This document I found suggests some radical new steps like deleting the nvidia kernel modules package.

One last thing. When I break X by setting up the driver from the nvidia script, the boot freezes on one of the screens with a blue loading bar. When I break X by setting up the driver from the repository the loading bars all finish and the screen turns black. I think there is an important distinction to be made. It seems that a black screen would correspond with a faulty driver, whereas a frozen loading bar would indicate the loader being unable to find the driver. Does my logic hold up?

Thanks for all your effort,
              Sam

Comment

Ok, reading that wiki says that nvidia-xconfig SHOULDN'T be used. Weird, cuz my xorg.conf file says it was autogenerated with that.

Try this:
                Code:
                startx &>output.txt
                Where output.txt will give us a readout of exactly what X is doing

Will

Comment

It'll be a few minutes or more. I did another clean install. I have to get all those stupid packages again.

Sam

Comment

This would have been here sooner had I not been locked out AGAIN. Those cookies are a real pain in the hindquarters. Here's my output:

xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.4024

X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0

X Window System Version 7.0.0
                    Release Date: 21 December 2005
                    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
                    Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.15.7 i686
                    Current Operating System: Linux samwigman 2.6.15-26-386 #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:00 UTC 2006 i686
                    Build Date: 16 March 2006
                    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
                    to make sure that you have the latest version.
                    Module Loader present
                    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Sep 11 17:48:51 2006
                    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Comment

Maybe someone knows now after having some time to ponder it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi,

I think that as said in the log you've shown you should look in the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log to check what is the origin of your trouble. If you don't get it, post it (at least the part with error) and we will try to help.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X