This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation problems... please help!

Hey, I've been trying to get this version of linux on my computer for a while, but im having a huge problem. No matter what distrobution of linux i try, as soon as it is finished loading the kernal, the screen flickers then it reboots. I mean everything! Live CD's, and even installers! Strangely enough, the only thing ive gotten working is Knoppix on failsafe mode, and GNOME partition editor :P. I have a decent computer, not blazing fast, but good enough that it should be able to handle the OS. Lets see...

1.86 ghz intel Celeron D processor
    512 mb ram
    intel intergrated gfx
    80 gig hd for windows
    10 gig hd for linux

any little bit of help would be really great. Thanks in advance

l4lucas

Re: Installation problems... please help!

have you tried using one of the alternate cd installs?

I could not get the LiveCD to install but flew with the alternate cd.

Comment

hmm... I have not tried that for this praticular distrobution, but I've tried others before with no difference... I'll download it today. Thanks... any other oppinions?

Comment

Are you burning your CDs yourself? Can you try another CD writer? Have you tried burning your CDs at a lower speed, say 4x or even 2x.

Sounds dumb but these *could* be reasons, I once had a CD writer that simply wouldn't burn a CD any higher than 2x....

Comment

If a safe mode did the trick for you, I can only assume it's those crap Intel graphics, not the distros. Get something better, like an nvidia.

Comment

yea a new gfx card would be a nice addition anyway but i dont think its a cd issue... its the same with EVERY distrobution and it happened with knoppix too untill i tried the failsafe mode.

Comment

Yes, a video upgrade does cost, but only about $30USD for a perfectly acceptable GeForce 6200. I'm not sure you understand what a safe or failsafe mode does. It downgrades video features to the point where they can run on anything supporting VGA. Obviously, your Intel gfx has poor support in xorg or kde. The Kubuntu desktop CD has a safe mode too called 'safe graphics mode.' Give it a go or upgrade your graphics to the 6200 or something else decent.

Sam

Comment

yeah i guess i need to look into one... but if that dosent fix it then im screwed ...

actually i dont think that is it. Ive tried some text mode installers before and they crashed too... is that somehow related?

Comment

ok, ive done a little research, and i think that the graphics shouldnt be the problem. I did however find a linux driver for the gfx system. Do i need to do something with this?

Also i know its not a disk issue because the CD works fine on other computers.

Comment

Working...
                  X