This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Peripherals

Total Linux/Kubuntu newbie and I'm not having a happy experience. Succesfully installed 6.06 on Sony Vaio laptop with dial up. Install didn't recognise modem, Canon i850 printer or Canon 3200F Scanner. I have identified modem and have downloaded driver from linuxant.com. However, I have been unable to install driver. All in all a depressing experience. I think I just give up!.

Re: No Peripherals

Hopefully, you haven't given up just yet. I've only had a day's time to save you. I never had any luck with these stupid built-in, usb, or pci modems. You need a good old fashioned serial modem to get dial up to work. You also need an isp that uses the standard username+password scheme, not some proprietary scheme like Aol of Peoplepc. I used to use a Creative Modem Blaster with Ubuntu 5.04. You can get an AMIGO brand one for cheap. As for the printer, did you actually even try going to menu>system settings>printers>add? I know nothing about scanners, but you might try https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo

Sam

Comment

Many thanks for your response - morale was low when I posted!. I live in a rural area (in NW of Ireland) and expect wireless broadband to be available within next two months. Broadband on phone pair should be available sometime later this year as well. I have decided to abandon trying dial-up and wait for broadband. I also plan to do some extensive reading in the interim. From what I can glean from browsing, my entire printer/scanner setup is not what one would chose as Canon stuff is not Linux friendly. I am grateful for your help...

Comment

If you do go with wireless, let me tell you that wifi drivers are no walk in the park, either. The main reason I came to Kubuntu was that my wireless card (ralink rt61 chipset) worked in it and just about nowhere else. Your laptop may already have wireless, but don't count on it working without a fight. You may opt to go with the absolute easiest card, the Intel 2200. Speaking of Intel, I was watching a show on PBS (government funded television in the United States) that said Intel has a large operation somewhere in Ireland. You don't happen to work there, do you?

Sam

Comment

Working...
        X