X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Docks

Hello,

I thought that I would try using the docs.

I installed cairo-dock from the repository, and the components installed, but it did not appear on my desktop until I typed cairo-doc in terminal. In addition, the icons disappeared on closing the terminal. Is this normal behaviour?

I removed cairo-doc using the terminal: sudo apt-get purge cairo-doc, but when viewing the files in Muon Package Manager I noticed that only one of the files had been removed. I then removed the others from within the package manager. Did I use the wrong command?

I then tried docky. I installed from Muon Package Manager, and again only gained access to the icons by typing docky in Command prompt. The icons again vanished on closing the Comand prompt window. Is this normal behaviour?

In both cases, I expected the icons to appear without any further intervention!

I think I will stay with Homerun Kicker.

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

My experience with the K menu might hekp:

I replaced the K menu by first installing Launcher. Then I right clicked on the K menu icon in the corner, and selected "Alternatives". I then chose the new launcher from a little list. The new launcher has now completely replaced the K menu. It is there the whole time.

I could switch back, by going to Alternatives again. Buy I don't like it. As if you add lots of favourites, it makes you scroll up and down to see them. Whereas the Launcher menu gets longer to accommodate more items.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
      Hello,

I thought that I would try using the docs.

I installed cairo-dock from the repository, and the components installed, but it did not appear on my desktop until I typed cairo-doc in terminal. In addition, the icons disappeared on closing the terminal. Is this normal behaviour?

I removed cairo-doc using the terminal: sudo apt-get purge cairo-doc, but when viewing the files in Muon Package Manager I noticed that only one of the files had been removed. I then removed the others from within the package manager. Did I use the wrong command?

I then tried docky. I installed from Muon Package Manager, and again only gained access to the icons by typing docky in Command prompt. The icons again vanished on closing the Comand prompt window. Is this normal behaviour?

In both cases, I expected the icons to appear without any further intervention!

I think I will stay with Homerun Kicker.

Thanks
      any programe you launch from a Konsole/terminal will be tide to that Konsole and will close with the Konsole unless you fork it off with a "&" ,,,,,,so
      Code:
      docky&
      would leave docky open after closing the Konsole.

these docks "SHOULD" have added entries to your app menu for you to start them from .

OR you could add them to "System settings >startup and shutdown>autostart

the removal command should look like this ,,,,,
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove --purge cairo-dock
      VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The purge command should have worked.

From the man page:

'remove --purge is equivalent to the purge command'