This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16.04 Where can I set the IME?

I have used Ubuntu 16 and Mint 18. They all had language settings in the settings in which I can set the default IME (Input Method Editor) to iBus.

Kubuntu 16, however, does not seem to have it. There is only keyboard layout settings (keyboard layout != IME) in the settings.

Searching for iBus in Discover gave nothing so I have installed ibus using "apt install ibus...". I have installed ibus-hangul and ibus-mozc. After system restart, iBus did not automatically start. I started it manually by starting iBus preference. iBus' icon now showed up. However, I cannot type anything other than English even though I selected Hangul or Mozc in iBus settings. What is wrong? Where the heck is IME settings in Kubuntu Settings?

Well, I typed Input method in the start menu, and there was a hit. But it just showed some message, not a GUI screen. I read it and it mentioned "/etc/default/im-config"

I do not understand what this script meant, but I just changed both of the default ("cjkv" I think) values to ibus.After rebooting, iBus seems to work.

# Default im-config mode (see im-config(8))

if [ "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" = 'Unity' -o "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" = 'MATE' -o "${XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP##*:}" = 'GNOME' ]; then
    # Start best input method unless overridden below
    IM_CONFIG_DEFAULT_MODE=ibus
    else
    # Start best input method only if CJKV environment and not overridden below
    IM_CONFIG_DEFAULT_MODE=ibus
    fi

There is one problem in Korean (Hangul) input, however. The space is input in a wrong place. If I type "고양이" and press space, it becomes "고양 이", instead of "고양이 ". I did not have this problem with iBus on other Linux distributions. Did I set something wrong?

Comment

Did you actually install im and im-config from the repository?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X