Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do not understand Screen Scaling, will you help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not understand Screen Scaling, will you help?

I opened Kubuntu 16.04LTS in my computer>system settings>display and monitor>[selected Scale Display and set Scale: 1.8]. I clicked on OK and restarted the computer.

At this point I am not sure what I should be looking at. This post fills the screen nicely with print that is perfect for me to read, but I am not sure it was not the magnification level I already preset using Ctrl +6.

Next I opened Unetbootin hoping to see large print in the application, which was not the case. It still is a struggle to read the application.

If the Forum screen is an example of scaling the display, I am quite happy, but if that was just my Ctrl +6 when I first opened the site, then I am able to adjust the Forum page amicably. Nonetheless, the font size in the body of this post is larger than the font size of the menu items with the search address even smaller, so it is not what I expected.

Additionally, the System Settings screen has smaller print on it.

Could anyone tell me how to use Scale Display and what I should expect after increasing the magnification of that feature? Is it supposed to affect all things opened on my computer, or is there an aspect to turn it on when you want it, specifically, I have Unetbootin on my middle monitor right now, and I cannot read the print.

I have looked for ways to configure Unetbootin, right- clicked all over it, trying to find any configuration abilities or something mentioning Scale Display, and nothing shows up. Please explain? Thanks! Shab

some apps will allow a change in the font from within a "preferences" setting for "some fonts" and not for fonts for other parts of the app. An example being Akregator which allows change in font size in the "reader" part of the app but not in the listing of the feeds. A change in the listing of the feeds requires a change in a hidden script and then results in a situation of the changed font trying to interact with "frames" of the app.

I have seen your pain.

woodsmoke

Comment

Nice to hear from you, I thought Screen Scaling magnified the entire screen, menus, font in the body, etc.; I also thought there would be some way to know if screen scaling was available, like a scaling option in a menu or something. Unetbootin doesn't have a config file at all nor does usbcreator, or startup disk creator.

This is driving me nuts. I just attempted a suggestion using a change in Kate, but I can't read that either. Kmag is not functioning properly now either. only right half of image shows.

I am not giving up, but I am going to try not bothering you guys anymore, except if I get too frustrated or forget my decision to stop bothering you. Can't remember the generation which says 'what a bummer' but what a bummer. Shab

The Kubuntu Forums Help the New Guy screen usually opens according to my preferences. Occasionally it will open in the small font, but the entire screen magnifies when I press Ctrl + 6 times. It is such a pleasure to use this site, for that reason, if none other.

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      some apps will allow a change in the font from within a "preferences" setting for "some fonts" and not for fonts for other parts of the app. An example being Akregator which allows change in font size in the "reader" part of the app but not in the listing of the feeds. A change in the listing of the feeds requires a change in a hidden script and then results in a situation of the changed font trying to interact with "frames" of the app.

I have seen your pain.

woodsmoke

Comment

screen scaling is for users with HiDPI screens ( 4k + ) .
        screen scaling values only currently work with WHOLE number values. use 1 or 2 then log out they in .
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Take a look at changing the system fonts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/g...ter/linux/kde/

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have a size and orientation option. I only have 'Display Configuration' and 'Screen Locker', how do I get that option? Thanks! Shab

Click image for larger version

Name:	Display.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	643381

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
            Take a look at changing the system fonts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/g...ter/linux/kde/

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have Apple anything. I have two monitors, a 27" and a 24" and a Smart TV compliments of my daughter that is HDMI. I can't find any DPI settings to check. The TV is only a year old this Christmas, and the 24" monitor about 2 years old and the 27" monitor about 4 years old if their approximate age is revealing. What do I have to do to get functioning HiDPI reception?

I don't understand why I can't get what I need? Kubuntu Forums Help the New Guy has readable fonts on the entire screen. Of course I had to press Ctrl +7 for my current view size, but all fonts on the viewing surface of the screen were magnified when using the Ctrl+ feature. If it is possible for the Kubuntu Forums screen to increase all font sizes, including the smallest used in the making of the site, why can't the same be offered when increasing fonts on other applications.

I currently updated my eSword program. I can increase the font to my desired size for the working body of the application, but I cannot increase the font size for the menus that allow those settings to be selected. This is just plain nuts.

I have been inquiring with a respectful loud voice on the issue for several years now. This year it has become all but impossible to read the unaffected menus.

So many people wear glasses any more, I would think it important enough problem to fix. What kind of programming knowledge is required to fix this problem? Perhaps I can learn how to create the necessary program.

The solution works so effectively on this site, the answer to that question should be available, and or the skill to make the change.

Could someone answer this question for me: when default font settings are permitted to be modified by an application, why do they only sometimes affect the body of the app and not the menus and other same-screen fonts?

I realize I said I wasn't going to pursue this so much any more, but the problem affects me every day, every time I use my computer. Since we can alter applications in Linux systems, is there wording changes that can be made to existing Linux applications that do not allow the Ctr+ feature to work on the applications that currently only increase font size in the body of the application? If it is something like a widget or applet, or editing using Kate; I will seek out all the applications in my computer that do not function as needed and make the necessary changes.

If it is complicated, I will carefully copy the instructions and make available a tutorial that can help others too. Please guys, I know some of you are smart enough to solve this problem? Just think of how many people you will please by doing it now, before you, too, need this feature.

And if it already has a functioning solution for some individual who is just using it exclusively for his or her own benefit please share it in a reply. I will invest all the time necessary to get it in the hands of others, so all can benefit.

This is how my current forum screen appears on a 32" monitor:

Name:	currentScreen.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	643383

Here is how Unetbootin appears:

Name:	currentUnetbootin.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	643384

I can't read anything. How do I get Ctrl+ to function in this application? This is also on the 32" screen filling the screen.

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
              screen scaling is for users with HiDPI screens ( 4k + ) .
              screen scaling values only currently work with WHOLE number values. use 1 or 2 then log out they in .

Comment

try this ,,,,,,,, go to system settings>font ,,,,,first click ,,,"Adjust All Fonts" ,,,,,tick the "size" check box and make sure you are at at-least size 10 or more.

,,,click ok and Apply

then tick the "force fonts DPI:" check box ,,,,the default is 96 ,,,,tick it up to 144 ,,,,,,,,click apply

now open unetbootin and see if it's any better to read .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Dear Vinny, I reviously set all fonts to 24. When I attempted to force and increase past the 96dpi, the up/down arrows are greyed out and won't respond to any change. Is this due to my existing Video Card? It is a 2GB DDR5 Radeon. If it takes a bigger card or a different card, I will have to make the investment. I am not able to read too many of the apps any more.

I am sure it is just an age thing, but I want to continue to enjoy computing as long as I am able. Seeing is essential. Thanks for the input.

One advice is having an Apple monitor, one that is HiDPI or 300dpi. I am looking into that too, but may not be able to afford what I need. Nice to hear from you again. Shab

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  try this ,,,,,,,, go to system settings>font ,,,,,first click ,,,"Adjust All Fonts" ,,,,,tick the "size" check box and make sure you are at at-least size 10 or more.

,,,click ok and Apply

then tick the "force fonts DPI:" check box ,,,,the default is 96 ,,,,tick it up to 144 ,,,,,,,,click apply

now open unetbootin and see if it's any better to read .

VINNY

Comment

Working...
                  X