Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have things pretty much screwed up. I continued on trying to follow online instructions. One of the things I did was copy the file "install.sh" to Home>kim4. I did this because I have Home>kim4>kim4. The last "kim4" contains the extracted KIM files. When trying to install kim4 using konsole, it wouldn't work. I finally copied "install.sh" to the first "kim4" and it worked, kind of. The online instructions said I had one more step.

"To complete the installation you will need to create the missing imageconverter.desktopdirectory, by creating it in terminal using the following command:sudo mkdir /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/imageconverter.desktop
    Once this directory have been created, KIM should work."

I did that and konsole stated "the file exists".

Here's my most recent attempt:

Code:
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo mkdir /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/imageconverter.desktop
    [sudo] password for richard: 
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo bash ~/kim4/install.sh
    bash: /home/richard/kim4/install.sh: No such file or directory
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ file:///home/richard/kim4/kim4/install.sh
    bash: file:///home/richard/kim4/kim4/install.sh: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘src/kim_*.desktop’: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘src/bin/kim_*’: No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/bin/kim_*’: No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/kim_*.desktop’: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘COPYING’: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘src/slideshow/*’: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘src/gallery/*’: No such file or directory
    Kim has been installed. Good bye!
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo mkdir /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/imageconverter.desktop
    Sorry, try again.
    Sorry, try again.
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/imageconverter.desktop’: File exists
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Decided to say "screw it". Hopefully, I deleted any and all folders and files related to KIM4. But I found another software else to try.

Downloaded and tried Nautilus image converter. Looks like it brought a bunch of other junk with it. It did not give a resize option in a drop down menu when right clicking on an image. Uninstalled it. Still searching for a simple Right click on image, select resize from drop down menu, etc.
      Last edited by logan01; Nov 01, 2016, 12:39 PM.
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Well, no offence, but you moved the install script out of the directory is was in, then were surprised when it didn't work? It couldn't find any of the files that were supposed to be available to it, so no wonder. The "file not found" errors seem self explanatory to me.

Also, I can't imagine what online instructions you read, but this command: sudo mkdir /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/imageconverter.desktop was incorrect as "imageconverter.desktop" is intended to be a file, not a directory and the error you got: mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/imageconverter.desktop’: File exists states that the file exists which means the directory and file were already there, so the command (right or wrong) wasn't needed. The actual command in install.sh (at least the one I downloaded) shows a mv command (move) not a mkdir command (make directory) and it's purpose appears to be to move the file imageconverter.desktop from one place to another - an operation that mkdir cannot do.

Next time you try this sort of install, you might want to try what the INSTALL files says to do. If it fails, comparing what the error messages say to the contents of install.sh might reveal the problem - if one exists as all.

Please Read Me

Comment

No offense taken. Regarding sudo mkdir, this was one of multiple sites which instructed that. Scroll down to Install KIM:
          We have explained how to install KIM in KDE Plasma 5. Now, we need to explain the same in KDE Plasma 4. KDE 4 and 5 are a little bit different so we need also different explanations to install KIM.

Install ImageMagick

KIM needs ImageMagick software to do its tasks. ImageMagick is free software according to FSF Directory. KIM won't work until you have ImageMagick installed.
          sudo apt-get install imagemagickExplanation: in Kubuntu 14.04, this takes about 4 MB to download.

Obtain KIM

Download KIM for KDE 4 from http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11505. You will get a small tar.gz file. Save it in your $HOME directory.

Extract KIM

Extract it in your $HOME directory (for the sake of convenience). So you have the correct directory in ~/kim4.

Install KIM

To install KIM, especially in KDE 4.1x and above, you need to do these command lines:

1. sudo mkdir /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/imageconverter.desktop
          2. sudo bash ~/kim4/install.sh

Explanation: the first command has not documented in KIM documentation. Do it to avoid any error. The second command is a command for bash shell to execute the KIM install script.

Thanks. I shall march on.
          HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
            Thanks. I have KDE 4.13.3. I'm following instructions to install to KDE 4.x...
            Looking old deb packages for the Trusty - Searching with: 'kde-service-menu-kim4_0.9.5~trusty~ppa1'

A hit: https://launchpad.net/~guido-iodice/...-archive-extra
            => https://launchpad.net/~guido-iodice/...y~ppa1_all.deb
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
              Looking old deb packages for the Trusty - Searching with: 'kde-service-menu-kim4_0.9.5~trusty~ppa1'

I appreciate it. I really do. I wouldn't know where to begin. I'll figure something out. Thanks.
              HP15 -

Comment

I appreciate it. I really do. I wouldn't know where to begin. I'll figure something out. Thanks.
                you just click that bottom link and DL the .deb ,,,,,,then install it ,,,,,,,right click it ,,, open with Qapt ,,,,,,,done

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  you just click that bottom link and DL the .deb ,,,,,,then install it ,,,,,,,right click it ,,, open with Qapt ,,,,,,,done

VINNY
                  Good deal. That worked. Greatly appreciate your help.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post

Thanks Rog.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Thanks Rog.
                      rog131 is always a great source of info ,,,,I read every thing he posts ,,,,that I see.

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        rog131 is always a great source of info ,,,,I read every thing he posts ,,,,that I see.

VINNY
                        I too read. I just don't grasp.

To the best of my knowledge, this is my initial awareness of Rog131. Glad he's here.
                        HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                        X