This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Record Audio Stream?

I play in a band, and I record audio tracks from youtube to use when I practice at home, to learn the tunes. In Windows I used Sound Recorder. It would record whatever audio I could hear on the headphones, then save it as a wav file. I didn't have to tell it a source or anything , it just recorded any sound I could hear.

In Linux I can't figure out how to do this. I have Audacity, and I've tried to use the pulse audio controls, but no matter what I do Audacity records nothing, just silence. There is a long list of sources with names that don't mean much to me, even though I know what mic and line are. There is no record level in Audacity. The pulse audio thing gives me a horrible feedback loop if I select the wrong source in there. It only plays sound normally if I leave it set on built in audio. But Audacity still records silence, it has no input audio to record.

What am I missing? Or should I simply be using wavosaur instead?
    Home office = Linux Mint 18 working well Thanks to you!
    Home studio = AVLinux dual core "Conroe" 6750 P5Ke mb 6gb ram Nvidia GeForce 210 hopefully soon to wipe out Win 7 (all is 32 bit)

since you are recording from You Tube the absolute simplest way, and it is perfectly LEGAL, is to choose the Firefox extension

Download YouTube Videos as MP4

to the left below the video you will see a small "line" and the word "download" just click and choose the possible variation in quality, and make a second click on whether to view or save.

it requires a restart.

It works flawlessly.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      since you are recording from You Tube the absolute simplest way, and it is perfectly LEGAL, is to choose the Firefox extension

Download YouTube Videos as MP4

to the left below the video you will see a small "line" and the word "download" just click and choose the possible variation in quality, and make a second click on whether to view or save.

it requires a restart.

It works flawlessly.

woodsmoke

Thank You. That works like a charm, and it is the easiest way, you weren't kidding. Much quicker than recording audio real time like I was doing.
      Home office = Linux Mint 18 working well Thanks to you!
      Home studio = AVLinux dual core "Conroe" 6750 P5Ke mb 6gb ram Nvidia GeForce 210 hopefully soon to wipe out Win 7 (all is 32 bit)

Comment

Well, thank you very much, your compliment is much appreciated1

However, I'm sure that I just happened to be the first to stop by, there are a lot of other people much smarter than the old woodsmoker!

But, again, thanks.

woodyourewelcomesmoke

Comment

Working...
        X