This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Kmal will not receive emails?

Mail functioned perfectly up till last Friday. Since then, I cannot receive emails. I prefer not to change to Thunderbird or other email programs.

Additionally, I cannot receive emails on my iPhone either, so I do not believe it is an Operating System problem or perhaps even Kmail. The error message is that there is a problem with my username or password.

I changed my password at the ISP, and doing so made it so I could connect with the ISP's mail program, but iPhone "Safari" and Linux "Kmail" still do not work. I am still able to send emails, as is confirmed when I send using Kmail and am able to receive it at the ISP mail program.

I don't understand. Kubuntu and iPhone fail, but an access through the Internet @ mail.twc.com does.

Thanks! Shab

It is a name & password problem for sure. Been there, done that.
    You will have to contact your ISP and tell them your predicament, and have them validate your login name and you'll have to create a new password once validated. Probably by phone.

Once you have a valid name and password update your KMail settings and then send yourself a test email.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Dear GreyGreek, I did that already. I use my email address as username (their requirement) and we tried changing passwords twice with the same failure. It doesn't make any sense, because I cannot send or receive emails through my iPhone either. It happened without warning sometime between now and last Wednesday.

My ISP is Time Warner, and I am able to collect mail using their mail program, but that is very inconvenient for me. I have been using Kmail for many years now and want to continue. It is also screwing up all my other applications, the bank, Amazon, etc. They have critical functions for me including not having my password causes certain functions to not work. Also paying certain bills automatically.

It doesn't seem like it could be a Kmail problem, because I am also unable to get or send messages on my iPhone, and it is a different operating system.

Time Warner assures me that it should be working, and there is nothing more they can do. They suggested I contact Kubuntu, which is you guys. It is a rather urgent problem to be fixed if anyone has an idea what has happened or what I can do to restore my mail program. Thanks! Shab

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      It is a name & password problem for sure. Been there, done that.
      You will have to contact your ISP and tell them your predicament, and have them validate your login name and you'll have to create a new password once validated. Probably by phone.

Once you have a valid name and password update your KMail settings and then send yourself a test email.

Comment

My ISP is also TW. KMail is working fine. Have to give my wife her meds and fix her breakfast. Will post later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Here are my account settings for my TimeWarner connection. Your ISP will be different than "neb.rr.com".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161027_102531.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	643359

Name:	Screenshot_20161027_102552.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	643360

Name:	Screenshot_20161027_102631.png
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	643361

Name:	Screenshot_20161027_102657.png
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	643362
          There is mention of "port 587" but I never use it.

This also might help.

I read some who posted that "mail.twc.com" for both the pop and the smtp entries worked for them. Might give it try.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 27, 2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

This is the configuration that I have used successfully in the past. Is there anything wrong with it that you are aware?

Name:	PopAdvancedSettings1.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	643363Click image for larger version

Name:	PopGeneralSettings.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	643364Click image for larger version

Name:	SmtpAdvancedSettings.png
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	643365Click image for larger version

Name:	Smtp GeneralSettings.png
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	643366
            I did not change the port yet, because I am not sure I understood the instruction. Basically I have used auto detect. My electrons have been misfiring a lot lately. Your patience is appreciated. Shab

My ISP is also TW. KMail is working fine. Have to give my wife her meds and fix her breakfast. Will post later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My receiving is "CLEAR" text and sending is "PLAIN". Make a difference

Comment

Did you notice if you updated your system around the time it stopped working?

There was a security update ( on the 15th ) to MySQL which seems to have broken akonadi ( https://launchpad.net/bugs/1633855 )

What version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

Hi friend, my POP was Plain, but I changed it to Clear Text. It worked thanks. Shab

My receiving is "CLEAR" text and sending is "PLAIN". Make a difference

Comment

Thanks for the input clivejo. Greygeeks recommendation did work. In my POP settings, I found the setting for Plain and it should have been Clear Text. Strange. I did not change it and it has worked for years. I don't understand how that setting got changed. This is the best forum. Everyone is so helpful. Thanks my new friend. Shab

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                    Did you notice if you updated your system around the time it stopped working?

There was a security update ( on the 15th ) to MySQL which seems to have broken akonadi ( https://launchpad.net/bugs/1633855 )

What version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

Working...
                    X