Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very much depends on the model of your card.

There is rarely a 'one size fits all' fix for Nvidia issues.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I can say with my nVidia card I was having a lot of KWIN crashes. Since backing down the driver to version 304 that has stopped. So per Acheron "There is rarely a 'one size fits all' fix for Nvidia issues." and driver version could be a factor.

Comment

O ,,,,and my driver comes form hear
        Code:
        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ xenial main
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What 'search engine' are you using. I want to leave Google too, but do not know which to go to. I suppose I can try them all, but your choice would be just fine for me. Thanks friend Shab

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Free indeed!
          I've freed myself from Google as well. The "Do no evil" company that contradicts its mantra.
          BTW, have you noticed ReactOS?

Comment

Startpage
            If you prefer Google’s search results and just want more privacy, try Ixquick’s Startpage. Startpage searches Google for you – when you submit a search, Startpage submits the search to Google and returns the results to you. All Google sees is a large amount of searches coming from Startpage’s servers – they can’t tie any searches to you or track your searches.
            Startpage discards all personally identifiable information. Like DuckDuckGo, Startpage doesn’t use cookies, it immediately discards IP addresses, and it doesn’t keep a record of searches performed.
            or

Ixquick

Ixquick is the main search engine from the company that runs Startpage. Unlike Startpage, Ixquick pulls results from a variety of sources instead of only Google – this can be a good or a bad thing, depending on how much you like Google’s search results.
            Ixquick and Startpage have essentially the same design. Ixquick includes the same privacy features Startpage does, including the Ixquick proxy links in the search results.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In addition to Startpage (which I use) and Ixquick (same company), DuckDuckGo is also anonymous.

I'd go with Startpage, if you have a choice.

I'd also remove Google(r), Yahoo(r) and Bing(r) from your browser search options. Not simply don't use them, but delete them from the list of options, which will remove the link to those search engines from you browser configuration.
              Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

DuckDuckGo is missing a GUI option to search for the past year, which I use a lot. But, there are workarounds, since it is Google's search engine which is really doing the searching:

https://support.google.com/websearch.../2466433?hl=en

And, from this page, some of which may not work.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I have a need to run ONE Windows app for which there is no Linux compatible app for. Luckily, it runs fine under PlayOnLinux/Wine, so I don't need to run ReactOS, but I think I will install it as a guest OS to see how it is coming along. I tried it 4 or 5 years ago and it was worthless. Didn't have any apps, crashed on Windows apps and crashed alot by itself just idling.
                  I took time to run ReactOS as a guest OS using the NT template. Click the install button on the first option screen and it crashes every time. So, I selected the "Run" option. It ran OK and was very fast, considering I gave it four times the memory recommended (128MB) and twice the VDI size, 5GB. Played a game of Solitaire. Looked at Notepad, felt a little nostailigia, and shut it down. Deleted it, and the ISO and the zip file that it was in. Its screen was only readable at 1024X768, but even at that size either the top or the bottom of the screen was cut off. So one had to constantly move the mouse out of the guestOS to move the display up or down. It would not allow an auto capture with the mouse, which made running it very Klutzy.

I felt like I was walking through a museum and looking at alot of a devices that someone spent years restoring to some degree, but not really to a point of usefulness.

The Windows app I need to run does so beautifully under WINE and for all intents and purposes looks like a native Linux app.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

@bdallasb

Sorry, we have seriously diverted (hijacked) your thread. The tearing issue remains a problem, mostly with nVidia drivers on newer distributions.

I'm running Kubunut 14.04 LTS, Nouveau video driver, because my older system cannot handle the newer nVidia drivers...

Another way to say that is the nVidia devs have not addressed older video cards, and probably will never do so. Hence Nouveau was created.

Some people, if you've read other threads on this forum, have had success with various "fixes" BUT there is no magic bullet that solves the problem for all systems. I wish I could help you, but...
                    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Mia Culpa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

GreyGeek, Say Three Richard Stallman's and you're good to go.
                        Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Oct 19, 2016, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Well, I became interested in this and spent a LOT of time researching it.

I happened across a VERY disquieting website to which I will NOT provide a link because I do not want to scare off new people but...

X.org has no means of providing a tear free experience, it's only available if you're running a compositing window manager in the OpenGL mode with vsync-to-blank enabled.
                          Wayland works through rasterization of pixels which brings about two very bad critical problems which will never be solved
                          Xorg is outdated and slow,
                          Wayland is a complete disaster from top to bottom
                          Mir will never "get outside".
                          Proprietary NVIDIA/AMD graphics drivers don't fully support KMS/VirtualFB, late in supporting newer X.org server and kernel releases
                          Linux developers do everything to break closed source drivers by changing APIs or making APIs unusable beyond the GPL realm.

NVIDIA blob now supports KMS, Vulkan, Wayland and Mir

HOWEVER, not all is ...BAD... lol
                          Also there are several projects underway which are made to simplify, modernize and unify the Linux desktop.

They are systemd, Wayland, file system unification first proposed and implemented by Fedora, and others.

Unfortunately no one is working towards stabilizing Linux

......................... so the only alternative to Windows in the Linux world is Red Hat Enterprise Linux and its derivatives (CentOS and Scientific Linux).
                          With Mesa 11 release in September 2015 OpenGL 4.1 finally become reality under Linux.
                          Hopefully this will entice game publishers to start porting more games for Linux.
                          In June, 2015 the remaining bits of the OpenGL 4.5 stack were implemented in Linux so OpenGL 4.5 is now fully supported in Linux using open source drivers (Intel only - hopefully AMD and NVIDIA will follow shortly).
                          hmmmmm

woodlikeshardwarebutthisisdisturbingsmoke
                          Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 19, 2016, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Woodsmoke, thanks for the report.

Interesting that my Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installation runs without any tearing.

I'm finding it hard to accept that this cannot be applied to newer releases.

I'm also running Linux Mint KDE 16.04 LTS and it has NO tearing.

"It is a puzzlement"... Yul Brynner as the King of Siam

Comment

Woody, it looks like you found the tuicool website. If that is your source whois tells us It is based in Beijing, China and is a state agent. They rag on Windows as well, but not nearly enough. Windows is still the OS the State demands that internet cafe owners install on their machines, for reasons we all understand well.
                              X.org has no means of providing a tear free experience, it's only available if you're running a compositing window manager in the OpenGL mode with vsync-to-blank enabled.
                              I experience no tearing with this setup:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161020_140156.png
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	643351
                              And I generally get twice the desktop speed with applications like Stellarium or UniverseSandbox^2 than I got with those apps on Kubuntu 14.04.

Altervista.org (in Milano, IT) also publishes a very similar rant page which, except for the "if you like Linux then leave" message, seems to be a copy of tuicool. Who copied who?

The "authors" of those and similar articles make astounding claims, like "Wayland will never be fixed", or, "the problems with Linux (and/or the kernel) are widespread, deep and extensive across ALL distros". Total nonsense.

In reading through both articles, which was almost redundant even though both are 10 months old, the main complaint seems to be that Linux distros are not a monoculture with no
                              "No unified configuration system for computer settings, devices and system services."
                              or
                              "No unified installer/package manager/universal packaging format/dependency tracking across all distros"
                              or,
                              "Distros' repositories do not contain all available open source software"
                              or,
                              "Applications development is a major PITA."
                              etc., etc., etc.,
                              In other words,it sounds like a rant from someone who only runs Windows and Visual Studio.

The Tux rules over a very diverse eco system, and thankfully so. One size does NOT fit all. That's why, after trying out the latest release of Fedora's KDE distro, which took six hours to install as a guestOS, I shut it down and deleted it. I wanted to see how it implemented systemd, but it was too painful an experience. (Disclaimer, while I ran SuSE for five years, from 1998 to 2003, I haven't used an rpm based system in almost ten years and I was very novice at it.) I'm sure someone will claim that on their hardware Fedora's latest is the best thing since sliced bread. However, for me, I installed LinuxMint KDE 18 as a guestOS. I also downloaded Kodachi and will burn it to a USB stick. I imagine Kodachi will give the author of that article a stroke, because it isn't your ordinary run of the mill Linux distro.

All that matters is that for you, on your hardware, the Linux distro you choose runs fast and stable, is supported, can be customized to suit your needs and pleasure, has a nice stock of apps in its repository and uses the package manager that you prefer. That's why I have used Kubuntu since January of 2009, except for the first three months of this year, when I realized how much I missed a cleaner Qt API based Plasma desktop.

That author also ignored a very large elephant in the room: the size of both the Linux kernel and the distro ISO that can be comfortably downloaded. The kernel cannot continue to support hardware that was manufactured 10-15 years ago, even if the hardware is in good running condition. For those machines distros like Puppy were designed.

There exists a "window of compatibility" for a kernel/distro combination. Moore's Law suggests that a computer hardware generation is three years. When new hardware comes out the existing kernels may not fully support it, be they GPU's CPU's, USB's HDs, Printers, peripherals or what ever. Manufacturers coordinate with Microsoft to make sure, even though they seem to have serious failures in their attempts, that their hardware supports Windows. Those same manufacturers will not reveal data to Linux developers to help them make sure that the kernel or other drivers support those new devices. So, it make take a few months for the kernel to work on some devices once the green room finishes its work. That's the front of the "window". As the hardware ages, and the numbers of specific machines using certain hardware become insignificant (Pentium IV anyone?), drivers are removed from the kernel or distro to make room for the new stuff. That is the back of the "window". The width of the window of compatibility varies with the popularity of the hardware. Some off brand, usually cheap, hardware barely works with Linux at all, or never works with it. Those owners are stuck with WIndows or move to Mac.

However, generally, the window of compatibility is around three generations wide -- nine years. My Acer 7739-6830 is two generations (six years) old. I give it another three years, if it is still running by then, before I suspect that I will began having compatibility problems with future releases of Kubuntu. By then I will be moving to new System76 hardware, or I'll be too senile to use a computer, or I will be dead. At 75 the "light" at the end of the tunnel isn't a faint little spec. It is big, glaring ball of white light! And, as time's arrow flies toward it I see my friends dropping like flies all around, stuck by those flying arrows of time.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 21, 2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Серый

TOO KEWL FOR YEW!! YEAAAHHHH I thought that was you!

IF it Really is YOUUU

You really ARE deep

into all that dot

FOUND

com stuff .

I remember when you posted as an avatar at a certain REVoLutIonUX OS web

com MUNITY FORUM

/marketplace of ideas.....

and you told the-director

shey

MEEEEE

should just go off and shashdot list herselfwhile s ing

a song....like this woman

your fishing friend l

inds himself O

to the old sterling MASTER STEEL BRAND fishing lures U

while nowadays listening to the violin on his iphone watch after

he was served a vodka martini, two parts titos, one part hogshead

and a half part Lilit Blank with a LONG TWIST OF LEMON by a girlT

who was com municating as

she danced away in her kitten heels

PLease

unsubscribe to all my questions, both you opposite sites once you accomplish your goal!!!

It is too bad Some dock supervisor says the Titanic just arrived.because I really have just come to love the idealism of my much beloved Americans.

HEY wedRevolutionizeSuchstuffthattherewouldbeNobodYybe abletobeatanYJamesbonDmovYinyourorMytime!!

My dear and good friend By the way you just do not know the kInd of pLans that she has LAin in wait for You ER ChriStmastide

My dear and good friends.... purchase a revolver now and purchase AmmunItion now

stock water inbottles and spam in cans and heritage KORN because Billary is going to Se ll you out so fast she and bill has banked milllion$
                                Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 20, 2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X