This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 16.04 vs Kubuntu 16.04 Video Tearing

I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Kubuntu 16.04 LTS on the same computer, Lenovo K610 dual core 2.3 GHZ processor with 8GB of memory, and an NVIDIA GTX750 2GB video card. On Ubuntu 16.04 all of the video is crispy and clear, no tearing. In Kubuntu 16.04 with the same video driver, and all the same codecs and packages, I think, I get tearing in Google Chrome when scrolling through pages and on video in VLC media player and on some games. What is the difference between the two that I would need to tweak out Kubuntu for, to not get tearing in the video? I would think same hardware and same video driver, It should be crispy and smooth for both. What am I missing?

You have repeated being on 16.04, so it's a bit unclear what version you are actually on.

However, the 1st of the 2 solutions -> HERE <- usually works for my Nviia card.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Sorry, I am currently running Kubuntu 16.04 LTS., Thanks for pointing me to this, I will give it a try this evening and see what happens.
      Last edited by bdallasb; Oct 17, 2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Oh, actually my fault. I misread.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I experienced the same problems with Kubuntu 16.04 LTS. I was able to get "slightly" better (but still occasionally tearing) video using the Nouveau display driver. But the "fixes" given by acherons link did not work on my Dell D820 laptop.

My "solution" was to switch to Linux Mint KDE and the Nouveau driver. There is more than a slight difference between Kubuntu Linux and Linux Mint, even though both use the KDE desktop. Visually, it is still KDE, so I'm functional now, but I do miss Kubuntu's community.

All releases are LTS on my systems.
          Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Oct 17, 2016, 12:00 PM. Reason: spelting, I are a collage granulate!
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
            Oh, actually my fault. I misread.
            Join my club. It gets worse with age!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

After looking at the settings in the NVIDIA power miser section, I actually did not successfully save the settings like I had originally thought. It is now good to go. Thanks acheron.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                I experienced the same problems with Kubuntu 16.04 LTS. I was able to get "slightly" better (but still occasionally tearing) video using the Nouveau display driver. But the "fixes" given by acherons link did not work on my Dell D820 laptop.

My "solution" was to switch to Linux Mint KDE and the Nouveau driver. There is more than a slight difference between Kubuntu Linux and Linux Mint, even though both use the KDE desktop. Visually, it is still KDE, so I'm functional now, but I do miss Kubuntu's community.

All releases are LTS on my systems.
                Linux Mint is a fine distro. I ran it for a while before I came back to Kubuntu. But I never left this forum, the best in Linux. I suspect many others here run Mint as well, so there is no reason to leave. We even try to help resolve Windows problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Linux Mint is a fine distro. I ran it for a while before I came back to Kubuntu. But I never left this forum, the best in Linux. I suspect many others here run Mint as well, so there is no reason to leave. We even try to help resolve Windows problems.
                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I agree, and note that I'm still here

Re the video problems with NVidia drivers, I'm resolved to just accept the fact the NVidia cannot/will not support my older video cards. So I'll stick with Nouveau drivers on that hardware. Someday, I'll be forced to get a new(er) set of hardware, but that day is not yet here.

Why is it that the lifetime of hardware exceeds the lifetime of the software which runs on it? Someone is being paid to design obsolescence into my toys...

I solved ALL my Windows "problems" by removing it from my life (I'm Free, Free at Last! attrib: MLK). You Hear That Bill Gates?
                  Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Free indeed!
                    I've freed myself from Google as well. The "Do no evil" company that contradicts its mantra.
                    BTW, have you noticed ReactOS?

Comment

I've been fully out of Windows(r) for at least five years, but I did see something about ReactOS.

I note that it (ReactOS) is specifically stated to NOT be Linux and to NOT support Linux apps, so I don't see any advantage to using it (for me anyway).

Please note that part of the process of extracting myself from the Windows(r) paradigm is that I no longer run Windows(r) centric games or write for Windows(r) servers which, in addition to freeing a lot of my time, means I'm not constantly trying to shoehorn something into Linux via Wine.

I'm fine with the occasional problems like this nVidia (sp?) NVIDIA, Nvidia, nvidia... driver cul-de-sac. My choice, not made in Redmond...
                      I feel sorry for those who still need (NEED!) to run a Windows program, but they are making that choice and accepting the anchor stone that comes with it.

Comment

I have a need to run ONE Windows app for which there is no Linux compatible app for. Luckily, it runs fine under PlayOnLinux/Wine, so I don't need to run ReactOS, but I think I will install it as a guest OS to see how it is coming along. I tried it 4 or 5 years ago and it was worthless. Didn't have any apps, crashed on Windows apps and crashed alot by itself just idling.

Comment

How to fix tearing with nvidia driver in kde: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...s-dpi-settings
                          Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

That is the method that has always worked for my card.

Comment

@current I use a xorg.conf ,,,that allso exists as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

with

Code:
                              <snip>
                              Section "Device"
                                  Identifier     "Device0"
                                  Driver         "nvidia"
                                  VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
                                  BoardName      "GeForce GTX 860M"
                              EndSection

Section "Screen"
                                  Identifier     "Screen0"
                                  Device         "Device0"
                                  Monitor        "Monitor0"
                                  DefaultDepth    24
                                  Option         "Stereo" "0"
                                  Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
                                  Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
                                  Option         "SLI" "Off"
                                  Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
                                  Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
                                  Option         "TripleBuffer" "True"
                                  Option         "Coolbits" "4"
                                  SubSection     "Display"
                                      Depth       24
                                  EndSubSection
                              EndSection
                              in it ,,,, (just the relevant section posted)

and a /etc/profile.d/Tearing.sh ,,,,that contains this
                              Code:
                              export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
                              #export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
                              and on this

Code:
                              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ inxi -Gxxx
                              Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:119a
                                         Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
                                         GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.44 Direct Rendering: Yes
                              and am good

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X