This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuzzy screen and no visible mouse pointer after install

Hi, im a first time user off linux. I got a live CD of Kubuntu 6.06. Im running it on a dell8300 with a nvidia gforce 6600 graph card. To make the live CD produce a clean screen i have to chose the 1280*1024*32bits screensettings, otherwise i get a blurry screen. So far everthings fine, except i cant see my mouse pointer once kunbuntu live has started. I now its there because i can make the icons pop up when i move over them.
    I installed Kubuntu anyway (i figured the mouse would be visible after a full install on the HD)
    Installation went well (even without the pointer :P). When i got past the reboot (grub went fine) my screen went blury (same as when i started the live CD in the wrong screen mode).
    Any tips on how i can get passed those 2 probs? During install i didn't see anything were i could change my screen settings...

thx

Re: fuzzy screen and no visible mouse pointer after install

Hi all,

Apparently nobody can help me so far.
    I've been searching and testing around and thats what i've found so far:
    Code:
    1. Starting up Ubuntu-Live gave me the same mousepointer prob as with Kubuntu-Live. Why? Still dont know ???
    Code:
    2. Searching in some diff fora i found that the other problem (messed up screen on startup(after grub - choice) after 
    install) might be solved by the following:
        2.1 By editing the Xorg.conf. Mmmm, i had to start Kubuntu in console-mode. How in the world could i do that? Finally
     figured it out and with the aid of vi(strangest editor ever...) edited the file. Result : Kubuntu stalled on startup (well thats
     one way the solve the messed up screen... ;D). Managed to get everthing back in its original state (thank God) en went 
    looking for another solution.
        2.2 Other way was bij performing 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver.org'. Again in console-mode. Well this wasn't my first
     time in console (2nd time), so what the hell... here we go. And what do you know, i was able to change the screen settings
    here. Now i tried severall settings such as
      1280x1024x24
      1280x1024x16
      1280x1024x8
      1024x768x24
      1024x768x16
      1024x768x8
      800x600x24
      800x600x16
      800x600x8
    Normally each one of these settings should work fine. But i still got a messed up screen. 
    The only thing i saw changing was the pattern on the screen but it stayed 'unreadeble', so it did have some impact on the screen.
    > > Damn this is getting anoying, i feel i'm getting closer....
    I think i read somewhere in one of the fora that i should be able to install new nvidia drivers from console. Hopefully ill be able to find back.

Im writing all my steps down so that someone else might get some help out of it.

If somebody else has any suggestions please dont hesitate to tell.
    I really want this to work!!!!

thanks
    Niki

Comment

YES!!! YES!!!
      I found it
      All I had to do was indeed upgrading my nvidia drivers. This is how I did it (dont ask me how this works but it simply does...)

startup in console mode
      type following commands:

'sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common'
      'sudo nvidia-glx-config enable'

now reboot
      and I got full screen and...... my moise-pointer was visible!!!!!

great
      Now I'm finally capable of really testing out this OS.

niki

Comment

Glad to see GLX works from the repository for you. It doesn't for me.

Comment

Working...
        X