This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KSnapshot Saves as PNG Only

Saved some screenshots today and noticed the previews would not work in their folder. I checked their properties and saw they were saved as .png files though they had the .jpg extension. I did another screen capture and manually selected .jpg during the "save as" function. Just did another and though it saves the screenshot automatically with the .jpg extension, it's a .png. I had a very large system update today where it removed some files and added around 60MB worth of "updates". I can download .jpg files from the internet and they remain jpegs. It's a KSnapshot deal which otherwise I really like.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

14.04. Mine always saved as a jpg til today or since the last screenshot weeks ago. I find where the default is indeed png. Can't remember if I stumbled on a way to change the default to jpg when I first discovered KSnapshot or if mine was defaulted to jpg from the beginning. I can manually choose jpg, though the jpg extension is automatically assigned to the file name, and it still saves as a png. If I go to the folder and change the extension to png, it will preview. It'll open the file just fine though the extension is jpg and the file is png. I can convert the png to jpg and it'll preview as long as the filename extension is jpg.
    Last edited by logan01; Oct 12, 2016, 09:22 PM.
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Works fine here in my 14.04 system. If I take a snapshot and click on Save As... and replace the extension with what I want -- png, jpg, any of the supported file types -- the Filter changes from All Supported Files to the file type based on the extension I supplied. Dolphin sees the files for the file types they are; jpg, png, etc.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Mine accepts what format I choose however it saves it as a png though my extension says otherwise. Only thing I can "blame" it on is an update. I found the following instructions earlier tonight and only did the first one then reinstalled KSnapshot. Made no difference. Had no idea what might happen if I went deeper. https://www.howtoinstall.co/en/ubunt...?action=remove
        HP15 -

Comment

I reckon I "fixed" it by tripping and stumbling. Better lucky than good.

did a snapshot
          saved as
          deleted the jpg extension
          chose jpg from drop down filter
          added jpg extension to filename
          selected save

That worked

Did it again only I left the jpg extension and let the default stay at "all supported files"
          selected "save" and it still worked

whatever
          HP15 -

Comment

I've found that laying my hand on the monitor (or display panel) and shouting "Heal" has worked on occasions!

(Actually, I'm not kidding. Carpeted floor, walking to the clerk's cubical builds up an electric charge, I touch the monitor knowing a spark will jump, and say "Heal" at the same time. The spark does all the work. The display blinks, and the mouse and keyboard begin to work again. At work, eight years ago, before I retired. )
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I love it. "They" say the laying of hands at times can be a most powerful force.
              HP15 -

Comment

Sidenote: As a developer, whenever a clerk's computer gave them problems while running apps I wrote they'd always call me before they called IT. They thought that their computer problems were always someone else's fault. Never mind that they were using Windows. Never mind that they ate popcorn, potato chips, cookies and various candies and candy bars at their desk and their keyboard, mouse pad and mouse were covered with greasy detritus embedded with salt and sugar grains. The orthogonal roller bars in the old mice were just coated with grease and dust, freezing the potentiometers inside.Then I began dropping by IT to pick up a spare keyboard, mouse and pad, walking over to the clerk's desk and swapping them out, and taking the dirty stuff back to IT. After a few times of that I told them to call IT.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Don't be taking my popcorn.

HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                  X