Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Toyed With Permissions, Now I Get An Error!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Toyed With Permissions, Now I Get An Error!

What does this error mean, and what is it that I am not getting about permissions and controlling what other users can see?

Click image for larger version

Name:	linux_homedir_error.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	649137

I have created two other users, but I'm not getting how to set their permissions (using groups preferably) so they can only see their own folders and files. No matter what I do the other two users can still see my Administrator files. I want them to get "access denied" whenever they try to drill down into my home dir.

Any links you have are good. No need to type out a thesis explaining it here. I already know some fairly comprehensive basics about groups and rights in Windows, so the concepts are not new to me. Just the Linux way of doing it is foreign to me.
    Home office = Linux Mint 18 working well Thanks to you!
    Home studio = AVLinux dual core "Conroe" 6750 P5Ke mb 6gb ram Nvidia GeForce 210 hopefully soon to wipe out Win 7 (all is 32 bit)

I found a page explaining how to use a couple three commands......I did these three commands, and the error stopped, but now my machine seems to freeze unpredictably for a minute, then it continues working. It never did that before I messed with the permissions or before this error started.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=166434

sudo chmod 644 ~/.dmrc
    sudo chown <username> /home/<username>/.dmrc
    sudo chmod 700 /home/<username>

(using my own username, of course)
    Home studio = AVLinux dual core "Conroe" 6750 P5Ke mb 6gb ram Nvidia GeForce 210 hopefully soon to wipe out Win 7 (all is 32 bit)

Comment

Pretty sure permissions on your home directory are 755 by default. I'm not at a linux box where I can check, though. Perhaps someone else can take a look at their own machine?
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Yes, I can confirm that the home directory should have 755 permissions:

Code:
        rod@K16-04:/home$ stat rod/
          File: 'rod/'
          Size: 678             Blocks: 0          IO Block: 4096   directory
        Device: 2ch/44d Inode: 258         Links: 1
        Access: ([B]0755[/B]/drwxr-xr-x)  Uid: ( 1000/     rod)   Gid: ( 1000/     rod)
        Access: 2016-10-06 13:05:01.432021637 +1300
        Modify: 2016-10-06 11:30:27.209893491 +1300
        Change: 2016-10-06 11:30:27.209893491 +1300
         Birth: -
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks, Rod - 'preciate it
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser59 View Post
            I have created two other users, but I'm not getting how to set their permissions (using groups preferably) so they can only see their own folders and files. No matter what I do the other two users can still see my Administrator files. I want them to get "access denied" whenever they try to drill down into my home dir.
            this is really easy ,,,,,,,, just go to /home and rite click your user folder click properties then the permissions tab ,,,in the access permissions section set "others" to forbidden.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              this is really easy ,,,,,,,, just go to /home and rite click your user folder click properties then the permissions tab ,,,in the access permissions section set "others" to forbidden.

VINNY
              I'm using Mint "Cinnamon (Sarah)" just to get acquainted with Linux, so......does that work in Mint? I don't recall seeing that option when I right clicked on my folder. I'll put up a screen shot later of what I see when I right click.

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser59 View Post
                I'm using Mint "Cinnamon (Sarah)" just to get acquainted with Linux, so......does that work in Mint? I don't recall seeing that option when I right clicked on my folder. I'll put up a screen shot later of what I see when I right click.
                It works on any Linux distro regardless of the file manager used; Dolphin, Nautilus, Konqueror, what ever.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

VINNY
                  This is all I see in Mint when I right click my folder...... and the choices available don't really make sense to me. Maybe I'm not right clicking on the correct thing?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	mintpermissionsscreen.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	643333

Comment

perhaps this will help you
                    https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...ux-permissions
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                      That will be extremely helpful, THANK YOU! I'll mess with it some more tonight.

Comment

Working...
                      X