Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stop terminals from restarting my shell sessions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop terminals from restarting my shell sessions?

Hi. This behavior that I've noticed both in Yakuake and in non-X virtual terminals is troubling me and I would like to get rid of it.

Basically, I'll be working in the terminal - in the case of Yakuake, maybe multiple tabs open - cd'ed into whatever directory or directories I'm working in, then I do something else or get up for a few minutes and I get a notification and I see that my shell sessions have been restarted and I'm back in my home directory. If I'm in one Yakuake tab too long, one of the others will do it. And there are times I `su` to an alternate user to work in that user's home directory, making it extra annoying to lose that session. The only way I can prevent this, if I remember to do it, is to leave some command running - I generally use `less` - which stops the behavior, but this is not an acceptable solution.

I cannot accept this behavior. Where do I look to change it?

Thank you.

I'm following this thread because I experience the shell (Plasma) crash and restart on my systems (Kubuntu 16.04+ and Linux Mint 16.04). I have not found any relating factors which trigger this. It is frequent (every few minutes).

I have no solution for this, yet...

I also don't see many (some) reports of this problem on the KDE.org bug report system. It may be hardware specific, I have an older Dell Latitude D820 laptop.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

You can start konsole with the "--noclose" parameter, which will keep it open when its session ends.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

TWPonKubuntu - This isn't the same thing. The problem I'm having is apparently how it's supposed to work. In your case, though, I would suggest making a new test user and try logging on to that for a while. If it doesn't crash, then it's some setting in your main user's KDE configuration. If it still crashes, then it's KDE itself and you'll probably need to update or roll back your KDE to an older version. Do you know if you have a repo for newer versions of Plasma/KDE installed?

GreyGeek
        - Thanks, but that's not quite the problem. Yakuake automatically stays open even if the sessions end. However, the issue isn't the session ending. It's that it's resetting the session, as if I had typed `exit` and relogged back in. What I want it to do is the normal behavior of keeping my shell as I leave it until I do type `exit`. Come to think of it, I believe that in the non-X virtual terminals (the ones you can reach with ctrl+alt and then some number1 through 6) it actually just logs me out to where it leaves a login prompt. Similarly, I want that to stop. I want to be able to choose when I exit the shell rather than have some set amount of time before it does it automatically. That's what I'm looking for. But thank you for the info. I didn't know that about konsole.

Comment

Working...
        X