This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libreoffice spell checker issue

First off, Libreoffice Writer is not Kubuntu any more than Word is Windows. Point being; no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Secondly, if you're using 5.2 it seems likely that you installed LibreOffice by downloading it. I believe the official libreoffice package provided by Ubuntu at this time is 5.1.2. If that is in fact the case, I would start looking at what you installed - or more properly - what didn't get installed. You could also install 5.1 from the repos and see if it works better - or drags in a missing package. Generally, especially if you're new to Kubuntu or Linux, it's best to stick with the provided packages until you know what you're doing. Unless of course what you need is simply not available from the standard repos.

Often in these cases, you may get a hint by launching libreoffice from a Konsole window and then looking at messages that will appear. Sometimes you'll see a comment about a missing item or package.

For your info, here's all the packages on my system related to spelling:
    Code:
    ii  aspell                                            0.60.7~20110707-3build1                    amd64        GNU Aspell spell-checker
    ii  aspell-en                                         7.1-0-1.1                                  all          English dictionary for GNU Aspell
    ii  dictionaries-common                               1.26.3                                     all          spelling dictionaries - common utilities
    ii  enchant                                           1.6.0-10.1build2                           amd64        Wrapper for various spell checker engines (binary programs)
    ii  hunspell-en-us                                    20070829-6ubuntu3                          all          English_american dictionary for hunspell
    ii  libaspell15:amd64                                 0.60.7~20110707-3build1                    amd64        GNU Aspell spell-checker runtime library
    ii  libenchant1c2a:amd64                              1.6.0-10.1build2                           amd64        Wrapper library for various spell checker engines (runtime libs)
    ii  libgtkspell0                                      2.0.16-1.1ubuntu1                          amd64        a spell-checking addon for GTK's TextView widget
    ii  libhunspell-1.3-0:amd64                           1.3.3-4ubuntu1                             amd64        spell checker and morphological analyzer (shared library)
    ii  libkf5sonnet5-data                                5.25.0-0neon+16.04+build11                 all          spell checking library for Qt
    ii  libkf5sonnetcore5:amd64                           5.25.0-0neon+16.04+build11                 amd64        spell checking library for Qt
    ii  libkf5sonnetui5:amd64                             5.25.0-0neon+16.04+build11                 amd64        spell checking library for Qt
    ii  sonnet-plugins
    Note that I am using KDEneon, which may have newer package versions than plain 16.04.

Also worth knowing, libreoffice in the past has had issue with some languages other the US English. Worst case, you may have to report a bug and wait for a fix - and in the mean time put your French/Scottish "u" in manually.

Please Read Me
Working...
X