This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling ipv6

Someone on another forum was having disconnection problems (wifi). He suggested disabling ipv6 on the ISP connection. I will try this. Are there any disadvantages to disabling this function?
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
    Someone on another forum was having disconnection problems (wifi). He suggested disabling ipv6 on the ISP connection. I will try this. Are there any disadvantages to disabling this function?
    There may be some websites that have only an IPv6 presence on the web but I haven't noticed them. I use aiccu to connect to an SIXXS tunnel server (SIXXS is no longer accepting new accounts and may suspend operations later this year or early next year, unless they monitize their service). My SIXXS tunnel is detected by IPv6-test.com as a native 20/20 IPv6 default connection, with fallback to IPv4 in less than a second.

I have no IPv6 functions activated in my network configurations. Starting or stopping the aiccu service does not affect my IPv4 service in any way that I can notice. Judging by the blinking of my wifi router lights, network usage is considerably reduced when I deactivate IPv6, which makes sense because an IPv6 packet is chopped up and embedded in several IPv4 packets, even though my IPv6 "appears" to be native.

IF your IPv6 connection is truly native (you have the hardware and your ISP supports and is serving you an IPv6 connection) your web connection may be affected. If it is all you have to do is re-enable it. No harm - no foul.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X