This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drives won't mount on startup

Currently a Win10/Kubuntu 14.04 dual boot. Last I knew before upgrading Win7 to Win10 a month ago or so I was able to read and write to my other hdd's at startup, now it won't mount any of them. Saw an error about swap also.
    When I boot into Kubuntu I get an error message saying "An error occurred while mounting /media/Multimedia" "Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery".
    I tried M once and it took me to command prompt, no idea what to do there. So I hit S and boot into Kubuntu.
    Errors I see in Dolphin -

Multi media drive
    An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdc1: Command-line `mount "none"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: unknown filesystem type 'swap'

Storage Drive
    An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/hades/Storage Drive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/hades/Storage Drive"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

319.2 drive (windows)

An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/hades/B20E23030E22C069: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/hades/B20E23030E22C069"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

Game and Storage

An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdc2 at /media/hades/Game and Storage: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdc2" "/media/hades/Game and Storage"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sdc2': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

sudo blkid=
    [sudo] password for hades:
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="2EECF881ECF8449D" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="B20E23030E22C069" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="74CA1BC9CA1B8710" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="c448338e-289d-4519-976f-30dc9385b2a4" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda6: UUID="d29db796-a414-4060-b941-168cce743c19" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Storage Drive" UUID="2014923314920BC2" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdc1: LABEL="Multimedia" UUID="BC72FEAE72FE6D10" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdc2: LABEL="Game and Storage" UUID="6738D4F70BC6084A" TYPE="ntfs"

kdesudo kate /etc/fstab=
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=c448338e-289d-4519-976f-30dc9385b2a4 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
    UUID=BC72FEAE72FE6D10 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /media/Multimedia ntfs defaults 0 0

I'm not sure how much more info you need but I would like to get these drives to mount at system startup.
    Thanks in advance for your time.

Originally posted by Clayman1000x View Post
    ...I'm not sure how much more info you need but I would like to get these drives to mount at system startup.
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    Apparently your system isn't enumerating drives consistently and a lot of systems do that. Solution is to mount partitions by either disk label or UUID. This should work - but you will need to tweak the lines for the NTFS mounts a little bit unless you only want to access them as root -

Code:
    #
    #
    UUID=d29db796-a414-4060-b941-168cce743c19 none swap sw 0 0
    UUID=BC72FEAE72FE6D10 /media/Multimedia ntfs defaults 0 0
    UUID=2014923314920BC2 /storage-drive/mount/point/here ntfs defaults 0 0
    UUID=6738D4F70BC6084A /game-and-storage-drive/mount/point/here ntfs defaults 0 0
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

[QUOTE
      #
      UUID=6738D4F70BC6084A /game-and-storage-drive/mount/point/here ntfs defaults 0 0[/QUOTE]

I added these lines to fstab and rebooted, now I have to use S to skip all of them at startup, but they still are not mounting in Dolphin.

"mount/point/here" don't have a clue what I put here. Have no idea what mount point here means, I want them to just mount

Kate has this now=
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.#
      #
      UUID=6738D4F70BC6084A /game-and-storage-drive/mount/point/here ntfs defaults 0 0

Comment

Just noticed you were in Jackson - I work in Jackson but live about 30 miles north; I run Consumers Energy's internal helpdesk and remote desktop support

To mount a device requires an empty directory to mount the thing to; suggest as root, creating mount points like this -

Code:
        sudo -i
        mkdir /mnt/multimedia
        mkdir /mnt/storage
        mkdir /mnt/games-and-storage
        Then edit /etc/fstab so it looks like this - this should get you going

Code:
        # /etc/fstab: static file system information.#
        #
        UUID=BC72FEAE72FE6D10 /mnt/multimedia ntfs defaults,uid=1000,rw  0  0
        UUID=2014923314920BC2 /mnt/storage ntfs defaults,uid=1000,rw  0  0
        UUID=6738D4F70BC6084A /mnt/games-and-storage ntfs defaults,uid=1000,rw  0  0
        Good luck!
        Last edited by wizard10000; Aug 02, 2016, 08:00 AM.
        -- anais nin

Comment

So you live around the Leslie area, I'm close to the intersection of Ganson and E. Mich ave, across from the old Kmart.

anyway, still using S to skip mounting after changing these entries.

new fstab=

#
          #
          UUID=BC72FEAE72FE6D10 /mnt/multimedia ntfs defaults,uid=1000,rw 0 0
          UUID=2014923314920BC2 /mnt/storage ntfs defaults,uid=1000,rw 0 0
          UUID=6738D4F70BC6084A /mnt/games-and-storage ntfs defaults,uid=1000,rw 0 0

Dolphin gives me this when I attempt to open any of these drives,
          "An error occurred while accessing 'Multimedia', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdc1: Command-line `mount "/mnt/multimedia"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sdc1': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option. "

And I have already made sure Windows shut down properly. Everything worked before I upgraded the windows side.
          Last edited by Clayman1000x; Aug 02, 2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Actually I live in Lansing but drive past Leslie a couple times a day going back and forth to work

I've heard one or two other issues like this that appear to have been caused by a recent Windows 10 update. Would suggest booting into Win10 and running chkdsk against the drive; the error message says that there's data that *should have* been written to the drive that *wasn't* written to the drive on the Windows side.

NTFS and ext4 are both what we call journaling filesystems. A journaling filesystem compares what should have been written to the disk against what *was* written to the disk before it considers a disk write complete and Linux is complaining that it can't mount the drive because there's an unfinished disk write in queue.

From within Windows, run chkdsk on the drive - Windows will prompt you to reboot. Hopefully that will bring everything right again.

cheers -
            -- anais nin

Comment

Oh ok, I was thinking Lansing was a bit further than 30 miles, but hey.

Not sure what I did but I went back into windows and changed some admin settings concerning these drives, I turned on "authenticated users" and rebooted while I went in another room, came back and Kubuntu was running WITHOUT my having to hit "S" to skip. All other drives also opened up, weird. But thank you so much for helping, i would like to learn a lot more about stuff like this.

Maybe you can help me with a small question about the drives in windows, what is this index thing I keep seeing on a drive properties tab, Index and something else is checked, do I need these checked at all.
              Last edited by Clayman1000x; Aug 02, 2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted

...what is this index thing I keep seeing on a drive properties tab, Index and something else is checked, do I need these checked at all.
                I only run Windows at work but I personally disable drive indexing because for me it's less than useful. The only thing that I do index is my mailbox.

If you turn it off searching for stuff will take much longer, but if you never search those drives then indexing them is just taking up resources that could be used for other things. Your call
                -- anais nin

Comment

Spoke too soon I guess, was doing some work in windows, went to boot in kubuntu and "S" to skip again, not sure where to go from here.

Comment

Depends on why the mount failed. Try issuing 'mount -a' as root and see what complains
                    -- anais nin

Comment

The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option. "
                      this is the problem ,,,or file system corruption.

1- boot windows , turn off fast boot if it is on (I don't know how ,,googel it) ,,,,,, and shut it down all the way no suspend or hibernation , reboot ,

if it still is not mounting the drives reboot windows and set CHKDSK to run and fix the drives (if one is the windows system drive it will half to be scheduled to run on next boot as you can not preen/fix a drive that is mounted and in use,,,,,,,this is true in linux as well )

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'll try it again today cause I have tried these already, but will do it again, the error message i got when doing "sudo mount -a" tells me something about windows cache,
                        An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/hades/Storage Drive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=100 0,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/hades/Storage Drive"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          this is the problem ,,,or file system corruption.

1- boot windows , turn off fast boot if it is on (I don't know how ,,googel it) ,,,,,, and shut it down all the way no suspend or hibernation , reboot ,

if it still is not mounting the drives reboot windows and set CHKDSK to run and fix the drives (if one is the windows system drive it will half to be scheduled to run on next boot as you can not preen/fix a drive that is mounted and in use,,,,,,,this is true in linux as well )

VINNY
                          Thank you Vinny, that fast boot seems to have been the problem. Funny thing was, I googled this the other day and google didn't give me anything about fast boot, today it did, right near the top. If it wasn't for my AAA games I wouldn't keep windows around.
                          Also, thank you too wizard10000.
                          Last edited by Clayman1000x; Aug 04, 2016, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Thank you Vinny, that fast boot seems to have been the problem.
                            Also, thank you too wizard10000.
                            glad we could help

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi
                              Hope this helps
                              When in windows 10 make sure you have "fast startup" turned off and also I don't have any write delay set for my ext drives
                              I always "label" my disks and then let gnome-disk-utility take care of the mounting and adding entries to fstab... it ends up in mnt/labelname

I have multiple internal drives and ext USB drives and haven't had the "skip" problem since

Regards Zeb...
                              To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

Working...
                              X