This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

artha dictionary icon

hello, I recently installed Artha using the official repos and it has installed ok. However, the icon that is in the dropdown menu and the sys tray once clicced gives me the following error message:

"KDEInit could not launch 'ksystraycmd':Could not open library '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_ksystraycmd'.
    Cannot load library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_ksystraycmd: (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_ksystraycmd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"

the app works fine if accessed thru the terminal with "sudo artha" but it will not work from the icon....i amk using kubuntu 16-04 LTS and Plasma 5.5.5. Any isead anyone? thanks

You should NOT be launching GUI applications using sudo; that is what kdesudo is for. Using sudo to launch GUI applications can lead to problems, some major, with your user account.

Open a konsole and ensure you are in your users home directory. Then type: sudo chown -R username:username * ( replace username with your user login name) and press Enter. This will change any files/folders within your user home directory that got changed to root back to your user.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog, I have done as suggested but after hitting "return" the cursor just blinks and nothing happens, I have checked Artha again and the same error message appears.......

Comment

The konsole command will show you nothing happening; it will just return to the cursor, but the changes, if needed, will have been made.

Will the application launch if you select if from the K Menu?

Comment

no I have tried from the kmenu but the same plasma error message appears, however I can start the GUI programme with a hotkey combination which works fine, so I guess I'll have to live with it!

Comment

Originally posted by zaramaloo View Post
            I recently installed Artha using the official repos and it has installed ok....i amk using kubuntu 16-04 LTS and Plasma 5.5.5.
            "Using the official repos"

I don't see artha being available in the official ubuntu repositories past *buntu version 13.10.

Comment

hhhmm but on "synaptic package manager"it is listed as a package that you can install, I have ticked most of the repos in the settings tab of Synaptic, I didn't see that it is not supported for 16.04. Should I remove it?

Comment

No. But did you install 16.04 'fresh', or was it an upgrade from an existing, earlier version of Kubuntu?

Comment

no, it was a fresh install from usb stick

Comment

Seemly has no new version since Trusty, but it is still in the Xenial repos

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/artha

and is available and installable in Yakkety for that matter.
                    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Okay. I just searched again, and find that artha is available beyond 13.10, and is available in 16.04. I'll try installing it in a bit on a 16.04 VM install and see if I get the same behavior.

Comment

ok thanks I will have a look at the link, many thanks

Comment

ok I am going to sign off soon since I have a plane to catch I'll log back on later tonight/tomorrow to see if you have encountered the same issue

Comment

Installed artha on my 16.04 VM. It installed without any issues, and I launched it from the Desktop (clicked on the desktop and just typed: artha and pressed Enter). It launched/ran without any issues. Closed it. The Artha icon is in the System Tray, and clicking on it launches Artha, again, without any issues. In the KMenu, Artha is found in Utilities.

Comment

Thanks Snowhog, I will reinstall and try again. In fact I have two pc/s with the same version of 16.04 and plasma, one works as you have seen the other gives me issues....I may look to reinstall plasma on the malfunctioning pc, thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X