This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A New Version of Kubuntu is Available" Message

Atop my Software Updates download window appeared "A New Version of Kubuntu is Available" message with an upgrade button. Is that a new upgrade to the 14.04 or is it beyond the 14.xx version? Thanks.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Depends on how you have the notifier configured, but likely it's suggesting you upgrade to 16.04 as the newest LTS release. You can ignore it or turn it off.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'll ignore it. I thought it might be 14.04.x beyond my 14.04.4. Seems like it would let a person see what it is before tapping the "upgrade" button. Thanks.
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Point releases are not 'New Versions' of an install; they are updates to the install. If you are seeing this, then your Release upgrade setting needs to be changed.

Launch Muon Package Manager. Click on Settings > Configure Software Sources. Type in your password and press Enter. In the Software Sources window, click on the Updates tab. Under Release upgrade, select Never if you don't want to be notified about any Kubuntu OS upgrades; Long Term support releases only if you want to be notified about just Kubuntu LTS versions; Normal Releases if you want to be notified about any new Kubuntu releases.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. Just seems to me whether it's a new update or upgrade that it would show the version number so there would be hesitation as whether to install it. I assume I could have clicked "upgrade" and then "cancel" during the process if I saw a need to. But I don't know that to be fact. My current default is Long Term support releases only.
          HP15 -

Comment

Then the "A New Version of Kubuntu is Available" is correct, as you are running 14.04 LTS and 16.04 is the next Long Term support release. As oshunluvr pointed out, if you don't want to upgrade to 16.04, you can just ignore it. You will see the message every time you reboot, but again, it's just letting you know.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm using 14.04 and also got that message today after some routine library updates were installed. I think that even if you clicked it, you would have a chance to back out ... maybe. Any volunteers to try? (No desire here to go for 16.04 yet.)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks guys. Never, ever, ever volunteer.
                HP15 -

Comment

Chickens...

That's why they invented dual booting!

Please Read Me

Comment

I cannot tell a lie.

HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                    X