X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on an external SSD drive Partition Scheme 2

Greetings,

I am about to install Kubuntu (principally for a marvellous KDE Plasma Desktop) on an ext SSD drive.
    It is my first adventure with Linux in my life.

I will be deeply thankful for some pieces of advice, recommendation on the following.
    .Many thanks in advance.

Is Kubuntu same spice as any ...buntu Linux? If yes I think it could be easier to find the similar guidance concerning this very special Kubuntu.

I have read many Linux installation guidances and I am quite confusing about recommendations concerning a partition scheme. Almost each guru have his own configuration.
    i would appreciate if someone could clearly indicate me the best practical partition scheme for my very disk.

It is a SSD 240gb one, brand new.
    I would like to know what partitions do I need, well the disk, to be able to boot on any system attached to.
    The idea is to use it as an everywhere personal portable system

Do I need a boot partition, home, etc. And how big?

Is there any additional setting to make to take full advantage of SSD system, any special configuration to add?

Perhaps any precise links?

once more huge thanks in advance with my kind regards.

PS

Is KDE Plasma 5.7 already activate on the most recent version of Kubuntu?

Hi THGeo

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums. You have come to the right place. You will find folk here happy to help you find your feet.

Rather than try to answer your questions at this stage can I [tactfully] suggest you are trying to run before you have even begun to walk?
    Any answers I give to your questions will probably go over your head and drag you into a morass of complication.
    I promise that you will get all the answers later but for now...

I'd be happy to hold your hand on your first steps and suggest that, initially, you download the latest version [Kubuntu 16.04] from kubuntu.org and burn it to dvd or thumb drive.
    It is the first necessary step towards an installation.

If you need help with that I will try to answer your questions.
    Otherwise if you have successfully reached that stage I will tell you more.

Comment

Wow, what an original, poetic and chalereux welcome encouraging message. I really do taste it and thank you for it.
      Well, I am not so newbie as I seem to look like

I am quite able to install a Linux from an USB key and even make it crash almost instantly.

All I need now is to figure out how to prepare, partition the SSD 240 GB disk to put the system on it. It is really important for me to get the disk prepared, set up correctly to avoid any future failures. I cannot control it for now taking into account my quite modest experience with Linux.

I think I am ready to start taking some long steps to achieve it.

I have got an USB key with the latest Kubuntu 64bit on it and an SSD 240 GB external drive.

Installation - here the steps commence.
      Here is my proposition to confirm or refute based on my web research:

2a.
      Partition scheme:

\ (root) 25GB - file system, alignment, etc?

\home* - all available space left, file system (can I share this partition to share betwee Linux and Windows, ie pictures, video, other data?), alignment, etc?

\swap (?) - alignment, size (for min 4GB RAM)? Or swap file?

\efi (?) - just in case to augment system compatibility, size, etc?

* I have found some original option - instead of creating the home partition make a custom-user partition and locate the home (inside \) directory to this partition via some file config. editing. This should make any upgrade, system restoration, reparation even better.
      Alas, I have a very tiny idea of mapping the home directory and (eventual future - touch wood) restoration - what partition to use, etc.
      I would be thankful for any elucidation on this option.

SSD optimisation. I have already learned that there is some methods of coping with SSD Drive under Linux. I will appreciate any guidance on that process (as a devil is hidden... in details, please). There are some magic charms like: tmpfs, fstrim, fstab... I am already enchanted.

I would kindly ask you gurus for a most detailed guidance concerning the installation in question. Please be patient and indulgent.
      My huge thanks in advance.

Comment

For a start I think you should install Kubuntu on a laptop or pc, I'm sure you would find that it won't crash 'almost instantly'.
        Its a pretty straight forward operation, as you recognize.

I know you want to get to using your external drive but first do a regular install to a pc or laptop, that will answer a lot of your questions.
        Many of the points you would like addressing are handled by the defaults of the system.
        Try getting a successful install onto an internal drive on your pc or laptop as a beginning.
        You have obviously done a lot of background research. Now it is time to be brave, get hands on.

Use ext4, on root and /home, swap is just swap, the sizes you suggested will work okay.
        Leave alignment to defaults.
        The efi partition is only necessary if your device uses it. Don't mess with it if you don't know what you are doing, you could end up with an unbootable computer.
        You should clear 40-50gb of free space with a partitioning program and use that area for installation. That will be ample space for a beginning, to hold root home and swap.

Kubuntu is set up to be extremely customisable. To begin with it is better to keep things simple, then as you get it working you can start down the road of turning it into the system you want.
        Last edited by bobbicat; Jul 24, 2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

As I can follow you, you do suggest a root partition of 40-50Gb ex4, swap partition 4GB and home one - the rest of the drive space, right?
          How about custom-user partition instead of home one and mapping home directory I had mentioned?
          Would it not be a better option?

As far as Eli partition is concerned I notice its presence on the USB key I have been using awaiting your precious precision on the content of my long elaboration above. This, I think could extend the compatibility of the disk.

I insisted on installing the system on the external SSD drive to use it as an everywhere-portable-ultra-compatible personal system with the most advanced and wanderful layout.

That is why I have been searching for.the most detailed guidance to be able to set t properly.

Using the SSD drive I have to find the best method to take advantage of it by using the adequate optimization. As I mentioned I had already found some magic charms, but I need more precise details on them.

I have been also wondering whether it could be possible to share the custom-user partition between Windows and Kubuntu.

My goal is not to use Kubuntu as source of amusement but at a longer term as my base system. I do appreciate your advice, but I have got an impression that you could thing of the opposite.

If you do not mind and if you still have any kind willing to answer my detailed points mentioned in my previous post I would be most obliged.
          Thank you in advance.

Comment

I think if you have actually never used Linux before that it would be handy to first install and run it somewhere.
            The experience would help you to find answers to all the questions you feel need to be answered.
            A simple Install of Kubuntu would take an hour tops.
            You would then begin to see how things like alignment, file size and type work out.

If all you want is a Live Kubuntu disk then that is what you have on your thumb drive. It runs slower than a full installation of Kubuntu but will work on a lot of different computers.
            You can use your ssd as a moveable data store, but the area you use to share between Windows and Linux will need to be formatted so that it can be seen by both operating systems.
            Otherwise Windows will not be able to see the files.

Some of these things will become obvious if you actually install Kubuntu on your PC or laptop and try it out.

Comment

Working...
            X