This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 16.04 LTS with plasma 5.6

I had a complete post to send about an ongoing issue with kubuntu 16.04 LTS with the above mentioned plasma version and this absolutely perfect, wonderful (pure sarcasm here) OS froze. I had to manually shut down and restart. Ah well. I found the resolution to this never-ending issue. I am going to uninstall it

Originally posted by Detroit Bad Boy View Post
    I had a complete post to send about an ongoing issue with kubuntu 16.04 LTS with the above mentioned plasma version and this absolutely perfect, wonderful (pure sarcasm here) OS froze. I had to manually shut down and restart. Ah well. I found the resolution to this never-ending issue. I am going to uninstall it
    Some hardware doesn't work well with 16.04 and neither do some users. You use what works for you.

If you were intent on trying Plasma 5 you might consider KDE Neon User Edition, which has Plasma 5.7 and will soon update to 5.8. If KDE isn't your cup of tea then give Mint Cinnamon a look. OpenSUSE is also nice. Pretty much any distro in the top 50 of DistroWatch's page hit ranking will be good, although your mileage will vary based on your hardware and previous Linux experience. Users of all distros, and Windows, are welcome here. Don't be a stranger!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...e-mistake.html

What I am trying to do is showcase the plasma kde environment for my windows customers. I want to use something that windows users will find familiar. But I need to find a KDE distro that has had good reports with multiple monitors
      Last edited by Detroit Bad Boy; Jul 16, 2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I use Kubuntu with three monitors. I'm not having problems. That article - at a quick glance - doesn't look to be of any value. "KDE" doesn't release distros. Clearly, the so-called author is not worthy of a read. Don't be afraid to think for yourself.

Please Read Me

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs
          The author is a professional click-bait creating sensationalist. Often funny, but usually unwavering once he thinks he has something in his head.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            ...but usually unwavering once he thinks he has something in his head.
            Most people who know very little often are.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Bad Boy View Post
              http://www.networkworld.com/article/...e-mistake.html

What I am trying to do is showcase the plasma kde environment for my windows customers. I want to use something that windows users will find familiar. But I need to find a KDE distro that has had good reports with multiple monitors
              There are two KDE plasma environments, 4 and 5, which correspond to the change that occurred in the Qt API, which shifted from Qt4 to Qt5. Just like the change between KDE3 and KDE4, there have been rough spots, but Plasma 4 has become a fabulous desktop.

Jonathan Riddell, who has contributed more code upstream to Ubuntu than any other developer and is the lead for KDE Neon takes Brian Lunduke, the author of the click-bait article you linked, to task in the comments section and explains to him the errors of his assumptions and claims. Lunduke tries but fails to save face.

I installed Neon User Addition on a persistent LiveUSB using mkusb and found that it runs very well, although I don't use multiple monitors so I can't comment on Neon's success in that regard. However, Neon is not a distro, has only about 60% of the packages in its repository that Ubuntu has, and its primary purpose is as a distro independent development platform on which to build and debug Plasma 5. Users and developers who install it expect to see bugs and are expected to report them. This is in line with the old Linux mantra that "to a thousand eyes all bugs are shallow".

If if you want to showcase KDE and want to use Kubuntu with Plasma 5 wait until after the first point release on July 21st, or later. Or, install the latest release of Kubuntu 14.04 or Mint KDE 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04). They are well developed and stable as a rock. So are releases of OpenSUSE or Fedora which feature KDE 4.8.*.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

I installed Neon User Addition on a persistent LiveUSB using mkusb and found that it runs very well, although I don't use multiple monitors so I can't comment on Neon's success in that regard. However, Neon is not a distro, has only about 60% of the packages in its repository that Ubuntu has, and its primary purpose is as a distro independent development platform on which to build and debug Plasma 5. Users and developers who install it expect to see bugs and are expected to report them. This is in line with the old Linux mantra that "to a thousand eyes all bugs are shallow".
                This is true ,,,,,,,,,

But I must say that even though it is discouraged on the Neon pages I am having a good time and like my install of Kubuntu-16.04 with the

added to the /etc/apt/sources.list

so I have all the Ubuntu packages and the Neon specific ones as well with no serious breakage that I give a s41t about

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  ... so I have all the Ubuntu packages and the Neon specific ones as well with no serious breakage that I give a s41t about

VINNY
                  I'm curious, what "breakages" have you experienced. My persistent LiveUSB is running like a champ and even after a 234 app update! However, I haven't loaded it up the way I have my Kubuntu 16.04 install.

Comment

I'm curious, what "breakages" have you experienced. My persistent LiveUSB is running like a champ and even after a 234 app update! However, I haven't loaded it up the way I have my Kubuntu 16.04 install.
                    Well ,,,,,nothing really.

Just conky disappearing still once in a blue moon , but it comes right back when you click on something or raise a window ,,,,,,,,,,,,O and some times when I plug in the TV I half to go to system settings and reactivate it ,,,,,,,,,,

which is nice since I do not have a "standard" Kubuntu or Neon ,,,,but a merge of the 2

VINNY
                    Last edited by vinnywright; Jul 18, 2016, 02:00 PM.
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I had to rebuild QtCurve widget theme as it became un-installable when adding the Neon repos, but that's about all.
                      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                        I had to rebuild QtCurve widget theme as it became un-installable when adding the Neon repos, but that's about all.
                        "rebuild"? You had to install build-essentials, etc., and the source?
                        Not something the average user could do, but typical of a "distro" that is really a test bed.

Comment

"rebuild"? You had to install build-essentials, etc., and the source?
                          Not something the average user could do, but typical of a "distro" that is really a test bed.
                          Not quite. I used Pbuilder and added the neon repos to a xenial build chroot.

Just me being awkward, as I'm not a great fan of breeze theme, and I know how to do it, so did.
                          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                            Not quite. I used Pbuilder and added the neon repos to a xenial build chroot.

Just me being awkward, as I'm not a great fan of breeze theme, and I know how to do it, so did.
                            I haven't programmed a line of code (Well, except for a few trivial bash scripts) since I retired eight years ago. Thanks for the heads-up on PBuilder!

Comment

I haven't programmed a line of code (Well, except for a few trivial bash scripts) since I retired eight years ago. Thanks for the heads-up on PBuilder!
                              It's overkill for this, but I have it set up for building other stuff. When it's just sitting there on your machine, it's relatively easy to throw sources at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X