This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    I would strongly disagree with that. There's lots of packages still using GTK2:
    Code:
    $ apt-cache rdepends libgtk2.0-0 | wc -l
    Sure GTK2 is old, but it's not compatible with GTK3, lots of rewriting required, and the libraries will be available and installed in Ubuntu for a long time, many years I hope.

My perspective...
    GTK3 met severe resistance with non-gnomish developers, owing to its developers' arrogant gnomish-ness. Many projects have switched to Qt, and others have only recently moved to GTK3, like firefox. One project, Audacious audio player, has even reverted back to GTK2 after porting to GTK3.

Sorry OP, the above discussion doesn't help you. I suggest installing python-glade2, with muon, or:
    Code:
    sudo apt install python-glade2
    I can import gtk.glade in python 2.7 after installing that. Does escputil --ink-level work?
    I downloaded the python programme and am making some progress.

I typed stylus-toolbox in konsole and the ink level diagrams appeared. However, they are set to zero. This is wrong, I can print. I was pleased to see that my printer is listed in the supported printers list; however, I don't think that the changes are being saved in .stylus-toolbox.conf because the command prompt did not return when I saved the preference (note, it look like .stylus-toolbox..., may be a small comma!).

Couple of other points. I can't find stylus-toolbox in the menu system. Do you know where it might be located. There should be an icon in the tray, this is also missing.

Overall, progress being made.

Best wishes.

Ps. I have just looked at .stylus-toolbox.conf in my home directory. It looks like SX100 (my printer) is saved

device]
    raw device =
    is newer usb printer = True
    model = escp2-sx100

[external programs]
    escputil binary = /usr/bin/escputil

When i type escputil --ink-level

I see

'andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ escputil --ink-level
    Escputil version 5.2.10-pre2, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
    Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Obtaining ink levels requires using a raw device.'

I have more success when running stylus-toolbox, although the ink levels are not being recorded.

I may need to locate the Device Port.

The only information that I can glean from the CUPS interface is:
    usb://EPSON/Stylus%20SX100?serial=KQEZ387420&interface=1

This is not a hard disk path. I have never been able to locate this path - from the hard dive to the printer
    Last edited by anonprivate; Jul 03, 2016, 07:46 AM.
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
      The page you referred to is not for the SX100. In addition, the link at the page takes me to a page written in Japanese.

Any idea which Glade package I should download to ensure that Stylus Toolbox functions.
      Sorry, I use Canon printers & with Canon numbering that would be the same series/driver (I use mg7100 driver for my 7120) Anyway, does the cmdline (non GUI) work? I linked to another GUI also

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

You're cmdline should be along the lines of

sudo escputil -d -r /dev/usblp0
        sudo escputil -i -r /dev/usblp0

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
          Couple of other points. I can't find stylus-toolbox in the menu system. Do you know where it might be located. There should be an icon in the tray, this is also missing.
          If you have mlocate installed you can issue
          sudo updatedb
          and then
          locate stylus-toolbox

Or,
          whereis stylus-toolbox
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
            Sorry, I use Canon printers & with Canon numbering that would be the same series/driver (I use mg7100 driver for my 7120) Anyway, does the cmdline (non GUI) work? I linked to another GUI also

From the above

'When i type escputil --ink-level

I see

'andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ escputil --ink-level
            Escputil version 5.2.10-pre2, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
            Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
            This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
            under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Obtaining ink levels requires using a raw device.'

I have more success when running stylus-toolbox, although the ink levels are not being recorded.'

When I type:

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ stylus-toolbox --ink-level

I see the ink levels graphics box, but all levels are still set at zero, which is incorrect.

How do I check, and, if necessary, change the read/write access to the printer device?
            Last edited by anonprivate; Jul 03, 2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

GreyGeek:

I know where stylus-toolbox is located within the file system, but, I do not know why I cannot find the link in the menu system; or, the icon in the system tray! (lower panel)

Comment

Ah, some apps, especially the older ones or ones created for different distros, do not create links in the menu or system tray because the methods they use are outmoded. In that case you can use "whereis" to find the executable and then create a menu entry yourself Recently, I found that "simplenotes" failed to create a menu entry and I had to do it myself. Newer apps usually do not have problems creating menu or system tray entries.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Ah, some apps, especially the older ones or ones created for different distros, do not create links in the menu or system tray because the methods they use are outmoded. In that case you can use "whereis" to find the executable and then create a menu entry yourself Recently, I found that "simplenotes" failed to create a menu entry and I had to do it myself. Newer apps usually do not have problems creating menu or system tray entries.
                  Thank you

Do you know how I can locate the hard disk path to my printer. The path given by cups is not a proper path that is recognised by Stylus Toolbox.
                  I believe that it is located somewhere within /dev/bus/usb/001/

Comment

I think you can see the bus number with 'lsusb'

Comment

Here is how, but unless you are a Linux socket developer I doubt you have the ability to make any changes in /dev that would be beneficial to your system. Quick quiz: do you know what "magic numbers" are and what they mean, and what does the 'c' in the permissions stand for? (without having to DuckDuckGo them)?
                      :~$ lsusb
                      Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
                      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                      Bus 001 Device 007: ID 03f0:0a2a Hewlett-Packard
                      Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
                      Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
                      Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
                      Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0402:7675 ALi Corp.
                      Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
                      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                      jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~$ sudo vdir /dev/bus/usb/001
                      total 0
                      crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 0 Jul 5 09:21 001
                      crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 1 Jul 5 09:21 002
                      crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 2 Jul 5 09:22 003
                      crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 3 Jul 5 09:21 004
                      crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 4 Jul 5 09:22 005
                      crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 5 Jul 5 09:21 006
                      crw-rw-r--+ 1 root lp 189, 6 Jul 5 09:22 007
                      :~$ sudo vdir /dev/bus/usb/001/007
                      crw-rw-r--+ 1 root lp 189, 6 Jul 5 09:22 /dev/bus/usb/001/007
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 05, 2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b8:0841 Seiko Epson Corp. PX-401A [ME 300/Stylus NX100]

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ sudo vdir /dev/bus/usb/003/003

crw-rw-r--+ 1 root lp 189, 258 Jul 5 16:28 /dev/bus/usb/003/003

When I put this as a path into Stylus-Toolbox, I see

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ stylus-toolbox

Reading device information ...
                        sCommand="/usr/bin/escputil -q -d -r /dev/bus/usb/003/003"
                        Cannot write to /dev/bus/usb/003/003: Invalid argument

sCommand="/usr/bin/escputil -q -i -m escp2-sx100 -r /dev/bus/usb/003/003"
                        Cannot write to /dev/bus/usb/003/003: Invalid argument

Comment

Working...
                        X