This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing Colours

I am seeing the colour blue being printed colourless; purple as red; dark red a s light red; green as yellow/green.

I cannot check my ink levels. There is so facility in the CUPs printing system, as far as I can see.

Can anyone suggest a utility that will allow me to check the ink levels, or another method for checking the colours and determining which cartridge/cartridges need replacing?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

All printers; ink jets too; have a menu display (on the printer), or at least configuration buttons/arrows. One of the configuration options is Reports, and there will be a report for ink levels. Not what you're looking for, but...
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What brand of printer? And telling us the model might be good, too.

I have an HP all-in-one, and HP support a utility system called HPLIP (I'm guessing "Linux Imaging and Printing") and it's in the Ubuntu repositories.
      If your printer is connected via networking, wired or wireless, you might try talking HTTP to it; find its IP address on your network and type it into your browser (say, firefox or chrome). A lot of printers will respond helpfully.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        What brand of printer? And telling us the model might be good, too.

I have an HP all-in-one, and HP support a utility system called HPLIP (I'm guessing "Linux Imaging and Printing") and it's in the Ubuntu repositories.
        If your printer is connected via networking, wired or wireless, you might try talking HTTP to it; find its IP address on your network and type it into your browser (say, firefox or chrome). A lot of printers will respond helpfully.

Regards, John Little
        Thank you for responding.

The printer is an Epson Stylus SX100

Best wishes

Comment

This is 'old', and the poster was running Kubuntu 9.10, so there is no guarantee it will work in 14.04, but maybe worth a try.

WORKING ink monitor for Epson Stylus SX100 in Ubuntu 9.10?
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I note that the utility hplip is for Hewlet Packard, I assume that the Epson SX100 is supported.

I was surprised to learn that I have this utility installed according to Muon Package Manager, but there is no help available in the manual.

How is it used to check ink levels?

Regarding the 'Working Ink Monitor ...' referred to above. I get the impression that the Ubuntu page is referring to hplip

Thanks

Comment

I have now installed the Stylus Toolbox that offers a GUI for esputil. I obtained the utility form Source Forge.

I cannot find the program in my start menu (Homerun Kicker), and when I type stylus-toolbox in Konsole I see

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ stylus-toolbox
              Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "/usr/bin/stylus-toolbox", line 34, in <module>
              from GladeWindow import *
              File "/usr/share/stylus-toolbox/GladeWindow.py", line 11, in <module>
              import gtk.glade
              ImportError: No module named glade

A crash report is given in System Notification

I see a number of programs that indicate Glade in the repository. Which one do I need to install?

Help please.
              Last edited by anonprivate; Jul 02, 2016, 01:38 AM.

Comment

I don't want to put you off but I've never found an ink level tool that works with my Epson Stylus SX235. I have to get my daughter to check or fire up my Windows virtual machine.
                I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                  I don't want to put you off but I've never found an ink level tool that works with my Epson Stylus SX235. I have to get my daughter to check or fire up my Windows virtual machine.

Perhaps I will be more fortunate

Comment

Pity no one has answered my question regarding the installation of further programmes.

Comment

https://www.linux.com/forums/drivers...x125-ink-level

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
                      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gui4escputil/

Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                          https://www.linux.com/forums/drivers...x125-ink-level

The page you referred to is not for the SX100. In addition, the link at the page takes me to a page written in Japanese.

Any idea which Glade package I should download to ensure that Stylus Toolbox functions.

Comment

I'm not at my laptop right now but glade is an old GTK2 GUI designer tool. Perhaps installing pygtk2-libglade will help, if it is in the repository. Of all the printer manufacturers Epson supports Linux the least. GTK is currently at version 3, and IMSMC version 2 is really old. Installing GTK2 stuff will more that likely mess up your installation, if it installs at all. B
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              GTK is currently at version 3, and IMSMC version 2 is really old. Installing GTK2 stuff will more that likely mess up your installation, if it installs at all.
                              I would strongly disagree with that. There's lots of packages still using GTK2:
                              Code:
                              $ apt-cache rdepends libgtk2.0-0 | wc -l
                              Sure GTK2 is old, but it's not compatible with GTK3, lots of rewriting required, and the libraries will be available and installed in Ubuntu for a long time, many years I hope.

My perspective...
                              GTK3 met severe resistance with non-gnomish developers, owing to its developers' arrogant gnomish-ness. Many projects have switched to Qt, and others have only recently moved to GTK3, like firefox. One project, Audacious audio player, has even reverted back to GTK2 after porting to GTK3.

Sorry OP, the above discussion doesn't help you. I suggest installing python-glade2, with muon, or:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt install python-glade2
                              I can import gtk.glade in python 2.7 after installing that. Does escputil --ink-level work?
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X