This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Check an ISO Signature

How does one check an iso to determine it's authenticity and a clean copy deserving of being installed to a computer? Can this be done after installation? Thanks.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Here's MD5sums:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

K3b will also compute an Md5sum for you.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

And sha sums are similar,
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToSHA256SUM

You check the resulting number against the MD5sum or sha sum against the number published on the site where you got the iso download.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes, you can check it after installation -- as long as you kept the iso file you downloaded.

Comment

Thanks. When we (mostly you) did this, I used Windows 10 on this now Dual-booted pc. I'm sure it's over there somewhere. I do remember we had a problem with usb and ultimately all went well when we used a disk. Can't remember id I downloaded the iso and installed to a disk or ........ I'll see what I can find out. Thanks.
          HP15 -
          -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

I'll show you how to do this EASILY! later as I don't think you are having any immediate problems. Do you have Gtkhash installed in Kubuntu? Search for it in the Menu by opening the menu and typing gtkhash. I will boot up linux later to get you accurate directions. Make sure you copy that sha256sum that I gave you before to a Word or Text Document.
            Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
              I'll show you how to do this EASILY! later as I don't think you are having any immediate problems. Do you have Gtkhash installed in Kubuntu? Search for it in the Menu by opening the menu and typing gtkhash. I will boot up linux later to get you accurate directions. Make sure you copy that sha256sum that I gave you before to a Word or Text Document.
              Ok I just downloaded Gtkhash and found / saved the Hash SUM you posted to the other thread.
              HP15 -

Comment

Ok I just downloaded Gtkhash and found / saved the Hash SUM you posted to the other thread
                Did you check to see if it was installed first? Did you download, or install from your Software Manager, Muon Discover?

It's best to install from Muon or Synaptic, or just make sure you are downloading from a good source. Just want to get you doing things correct as best of my knowledge.

Have you installed Synaptic Package Manager yet? that is supposed to allow you to install more Packages than Muon. Or you could have installed Gtkhash via Terminal.

I'll work on helping you tonight.

Comment

I installed from Ubuntu Software Center. I used Synaptic Package Manager in Live Mint. Liked it. Thought I read somewhere it was no longer offered to later versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. Must be wrong. I can remove Gtkhasm and reinstall from Muon Package Manager if that'd be better. Just installed Synaptic from Muon. Good deal.
                  Last edited by logan01; Jun 30, 2016, 06:30 PM.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
                    I installed from Ubuntu Software Center. I used Synaptic Package Manager in Live Mint. Liked it. Thought I read somewhere it was no longer offered to later versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. Must be wrong. I can remove Gtkhasm and reinstall from Muon Package Manager if that'd be better. Just installed Synaptic from Muon. Good deal.
                    I see, that is fine, just wanted to make sure you know to get this stuff from the official repositories for now. This procedure is pretty simple but let me work on it, been busy.

1. Copy Hash
                    2. Open File Manager Dolphin
                    3. Click on Windows Drive in Left Pane that houses your iso, usually C-Drive
                    4. Click on "Documents and Settings" then "User Name" Folder.
                    5. Then choose the Directory and Pathway to the Folder the iso is in.
                    6. Right Click on the iso > Choose "Open With" > "Other Application" > and Browse to "GtkHash" and Click on it > Paste the Hash Sum in the box that says: "Check" and Click the "Hash" button in bottom Right, and let it work.
                    7. It will tell you if they Match but it might not be totally evident, in this case just compare them by Stretching the GtkHash window. In mine you can see a little square box after the inserted Hash, that means it is good, I'm just missing a Plug-in or Package that displays that little box I think. You are Matching the SHA256 Hash

Stretched:
                    Don't pay attention the the actual numbers here, these pics were with MD5 SUM and not SHA256. You can see the MD5 Matches.

Nasty7
                    Last edited by Nasty7; Jul 01, 2016, 03:21 PM. Reason: Mistake

Comment

This is what I recall you sending me (in earlier thread). This isn't what gets pasted in "check" window? SHA256- 7d9337e7b19d74b197100035ffa4318999e2d6a875bba020cf e197faeb98e904
                      HP15 -

Comment

No, just this: 7d9337e7b19d74b197100035ffa4318999e2d6a875bba020cf e197faeb98e904

Comment

ok
                          HP15 -

Comment

The "iso" is not in there. I went all the way back to Windows and the only iso showing is the recent Mint download. During my initial Kubuntu install insanity, perhaps I saved it directly / only to the external CD. If so, sol.
                            HP15 -

Comment

I'm in actual Windows now. Ran a search against "iso" and the only relevant hits are an Ubuntu 14.03 iso from Sep 2015 when I went Kubuntu and a Kubuntu 14.04 iso from June 2016 (days ago) which I don't recall downloading. Must have been when I was Minting. Update: Back in Kubuntu.
                              Last edited by logan01; Jul 01, 2016, 05:31 PM.
                              HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                              X