X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now what do I do?

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Select cpu cores. Leave one for the host (per tutorial). I have 2 (dual processors) therefore allocate one?
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

That should be OK, you can always adjust it later.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I'm at this step and have a warning:

HP15 -

Comment

I set it up for 2 processors and on the motherboard tab reduce the base memory to 2GB
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

ok. proceeding.
              HP15 -

Comment

what about the execution cap setting?
                HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I've installed VB from both the repository and from Oracle. Oracle's latest release is usually newer but the repository version is easier to install and is already customized and vetted for Kubuntu.

Since you are installing from outside the repository you will also have to download and install the VB extensions package for the version of VB that you downloaded. That process is more complicated than merely selecting VB and VB utilities from the repository and installing them. The necessary includes will also be installed automatically. The utilities/extensions allow VB to use your full display instead of just a 1024X780 window, if that big. It also includes other features. And, the repository packages have been tested and vetted to work with Kubuntu, like I said.
                  General rule for new Linux users: stay with the repository until you get a year or two of experience under your belt.
                  I installed VB via Konsole. Once I get through this I reckon determining which version of VB is doable. The rest of this I don't grasp as to where I get the extensions package, when to do it, etc.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Under Settings > Storage > Storage Tree > Controller: IDE

My CD symbol says empty.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Click the little CD symbol at the far right
                      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Ok. Did that and clicked start and got this error msg:

I found this when I googled the error msg (beyond me): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...le-virtual-box

Last edited by logan01; Jun 18, 2016, 08:29 AM.
                        HP15 -

Comment

Should I go to my BIOS and see if (1) I have virtualization and (2) If I can enable the VT-x deal?
                          HP15 -

Comment

Yeah, you just beat me too it. Most modern hardware has the capability but some laptops have it disabled by default. On my Toshiba it was buried under the advanced settings.
                            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I enabled it in BIOS but of course somehow (I think tapping my f10 multiple times, I lost my Grub black screen that that gives all my boot options (ubuntu) therefore it boots straight to Windows. Did thsi the other day and Qqmike gave me a remedy Let me find the thread with the remedy. Something about boot repair or something along those lines. Sad, I know.
                              HP15 -

Comment

Current Status:
                                Killed pc
                                Started pc
                                Got Grub back from Startup Menu
                                Enabled Virtualization Technology in BIOS
                                Am now gonna click Start in VB
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X