This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Test Drive Mint Please

I'd like to take it for a little cruise around the block if possible.

Is there a "Live" version?

I see there are several Mint versions; is there a nicely featured stable one?

I'm assuming this is a task I perform in Windows with this tool: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

Does anyone know if that tool offers assorted Mint builds from its Linux Distribution list?

Using the link as an example, do I first insert a flash drive, download the installer, launch the .exe and follow the bouncing ball? In the link's first screenshot at step 4, it calls for setting a "Persistent file size for storing changes" as an option. Do you advise to do that? If so, what size?

Thanks
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

I believe all the Linux Mint distros will run live and have a built in installer.

If your computer is good enough, I would download your chosen iso in Linux and run it in VirtualBox which should be in the Kubuntu repository. You can find out by running apt-cache policy virtualbox and if it's there install it with sudo apt install virtualbox. If you really want to make bootable usb key then plug it in and run sudo fdisk -l and identify which device it is, sda, sdb or sdc etc. When you are sure that you have the correct drive identified, run sudo dd if=/PATH/TO/THE/ISO/FILE.iso of=/dev/sd? bs=4M && sudo sync. Your replace the ? with the device identifier.

Once you press enter, there is no going back and if you have chosen the wrong output device, you can hose your data or system. It's why I call dd Data Destroyer. I've been doing that for years and still panic for a while after pressing enter; then the key flashes and I relax

[edit]
    This is a wrapper script I threw together to give myself a second chance with dd and keep forgetting to use.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## =============================================================================
    ##  Copyright 2014 Richard Gladman
    ##      Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License
    ## =============================================================================
    ##  This file is part of make-key.
    ##  make-key is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    ##  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    ##  the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    ##  (at your option) any later version.
    ##
    ##  make-key is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    ##  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    ##  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    ##  GNU General Public License for more details.
    ##
    ##  As it is a single file, I haven't included a copy of the GNU General Public
    ##  License along with make-key.  See .

##  Produce help message on help switch
    if [ "$1" == "--help" ]
    then
        echo "Must be run as root"
        echo "Usage: make-key file_name to_device"
        echo "Example: sudo make-key linux.iso sdh"
        exit
    fi

##  Must be run as root
    if [ "$EUID" -ne 0 ]
    then
        echo "Error: Should be run as root."
        exit
    fi

##  Get and validate command line parameters
    ##    If not valid then error and exit
    if [ ! -f "$1" ]
    then
        error="Error: Input file "
        error+="$1"
        error+=" not found."
        echo $error
        exit
    fi

if [ ! -b "/dev/$2" ]
    then
        error="Error: "
        error+="$2"
        error+=" is not a block device."
        echo $error
        exit
    fi

##  Confirm input and destination drive with scary message
    ##    If confirmed then continue
    device="/dev/"
    device+="$2"

message="Copying "
    message+="$1"
    message+=" to "
    message+="$device"
    message+="."
    echo "$message"
    message="This will destroy the data on the device. Are you sure you want to continue? "
    read -p "$message" yn
    case $yn in
        [Yy]* )
            ##  Check for existence of pv and use if found
            if hash pv 2>/dev/null
            then
                pv "$1" | sudo dd bs=1M of="$device"

##  Otherwise inform and use dd only
            else
                echo "You should consider installing pv to get a nice progress bar!"
                echo "Working... Please wait..."
                sudo dd if="$1" of="$device" bs=1M
            fi
            echo "Done."
            ;;
        [Nn]* )
            exit
            ;;
    esac

exit
    [/edit]
    Last edited by elijathegold; Jun 16, 2016, 04:30 PM.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

and if you do make that live USB using dd, after you enter that command elijathegold gave you, you will see NOTHING happening, except perhaps drive lights flashing. dd will take awhile to finish, it will not tell you what it is doing, do not give up and pull the plug, wait until it sends you a message/short report indicating it is over with. (There are ways to get progress reports, but we needn't go there for this.) It might take 10 or 15 or even 30 minutes, who knows. dd is the way to go, though.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I truly appreciate your time and effort to help me. Though I would only be copying / pasting what you posted (for I know not what I'm doing), the DD deal was a show stopper. I went outside and had a smoke.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Ok, I'm back now. I have no idea if my pc is good enough. Just a basic little cheaparse notebook. Here's some specs below:
          Upon getting to the usb step, how do I determine "sda, sdb or sdc etc"? And then run sudo dd if=/PATH/TO/THE/ISO/FILE.iso of=/dev/sd? bs=4M && sudo sync exactly as seen here with the exception of the ?. The "wrapper script is not required, right? I'll actually download Mint while in Kubuntu; Windows not needed? Any preferred Mint?

System: Host: richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC Kernel: 3.19.0-61-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.4)
          Desktop: KDE 4.13.3 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
          Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 15 Notebook PC version: 096A100003405F00050660180
          Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 233F version: 06.16 Bios: Insyde version: F.23 date: 08/05/2015
          CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron CPU N2830 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8652.8
          Clock Speeds: 1: 499.741 MHz 2: 499.741 MHz
          Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display bus-ID: 00:02.0
          X.Org: 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
          GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
          Audio: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
          driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
          Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.19.0-61-generic
          Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
          driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
          IF: eth0 state: down mac: d0:bf:9c:86:55:c6
          Card-2: Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8188ee port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
          IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 74:29:af:63:7b:70
          Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (3.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST500LT012 size: 500.1GB temp: 39C
          Partition: ID: / size: 28G used: 12G (45%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 55G used: 6.1G (12%) fs: ext4
          ID: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
          RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
          Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
          Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
          Info: Processes: 199 Uptime: 11:37 Memory: 2074.9/7874.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: N/A
          Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
          richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
          HP15 -

Comment

So I've been reading. Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa w/ Cinnamon 2.8 sounds nice. My needs are small.

Assorted forums participation
            Googling merchandise and research of several subject matters
            Download images, schematics, etc. Be able to size, crop, minor manipulation
            View videos, mostly youtube of music and howto material
            Basic text writing
            Email

That's my short list of basic daily computing needs.
            HP15 -

Comment

elijathegold: If you really want to make bootable usb key then plug it in and run sudo fdisk -l and identify which device it is, sda, sdb or sdc etc. When you are sure that you have the correct drive identified, run sudo dd if=/PATH/TO/THE/ISO/FILE.iso of=/dev/sd? bs=4M && sudo sync. Your replace the ? with the device identifier.
              Or, you can try running
              Code:
              lsblk
              to see your drives and identify the USB.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                Or, you can try running
                Code:
                lsblk
                Ok. Looks like I didn't read the other closely enough. Both methods will provide identification. Just replace the ? correctly. Thanks.
                HP15 -

Comment

Yeah, so, like this, using gparted as an example iso file instead of a Mint:

Code:
                  sudo dd if=/home/mike/downloads/gparted-live-0.22.0-2-amd64.iso   of=/dev/sd? bs=4M  && sudo sync
                  bs is block size, so dd will work with blocks of 4 million bytes at a time as it does its copy work; sync will keep things clean and make sure dd finishes safely and buffers are clear. " if" is the input file; "of" is output file (= your USB).

Btw, I don't keep up with Mint, but I tried Mint KDE and liked it once (a year ago) -- but, I'm not sure if Mint KDE is maintained well -- if may be OK.

Replace the ? with the right drive for the USB, sda or sdb or sdc or sdd or etc.

Comment

Thanks. The primary reason for Mint is due to another thread I have about an audio issue. The primary member helping with that want's me to use another version other than Kubuntu 14.04 to compare a particular alsamixer line which appears to indicate something about HDMI which he feels shouldn't be there (HDMI). This line: Chip: Intel Valleyview2 HDMI. I thought while I was doing that I'd take it for a test drive.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Makes sense. I'm definitely not a sound guy here, all Greek to me, just glad that mine works in 14.04.

Comment

Mint 17.3 KDE is, for all practical purposes, equivalent to Kubuntu 14.04 featuring KDE 4.8. It's a well made, stable distro. I ran it for about three months at the beginning of the year. My big complaint with it was that Btrfs was treated as an after thought and didn't appear to be well thought out. To use Btrfs during the install one has to install Btrfs-utils while running the LiveUSB so that it will be available during the install. I switched to Btrfs two 1/2 years ago and won't switch back to EXT4.

Cinnimon is nice once you get used to it but KDE has more power, IMO.

Your laptop may be under powered. It's a dual core with a max CPU speed of 500 MHz per core. Mint may be laggy unless all you do is browse the web, watch videos and email.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 17, 2016, 05:42 AM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

and if you do make that live USB using dd, after you enter that command elijathegold gave you, you will see NOTHING happening
                          You get a progress bar if you install pv
                          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Or, you can try running
                            Code:
                            lsblk
                            That's new to me and so much nicer than fdisk
                            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                              That's new to me and so much nicer than fdisk
                              So sdb1 is my usb (Lexar)?

Code:
                              richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ lsblk
                              NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
                              sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
                              ├─sda1   8:1    0   650M  0 part 
                              ├─sda2   8:2    0   260M  0 part /boot/efi
                              ├─sda3   8:3    0   128M  0 part 
                              ├─sda4   8:4    0 296.4G  0 part 
                              ├─sda5   8:5    0   860M  0 part 
                              ├─sda6   8:6    0  21.1G  0 part 
                              ├─sda7   8:7    0   7.5G  0 part [SWAP]
                              ├─sda8   8:8    0    28G  0 part /
                              └─sda9   8:9    0  55.9G  0 part /home
                              sdb      8:16   1   7.5G  0 disk 
                              └─sdb1   8:17   1   7.5G  0 part /media/richard/Lexar
                              sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
                              richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
                              HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                              X