Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't sudo grub-install be sudo grub-install /dev/sd(x) where (x) is the identifier of your boot disk? Usually /dev/sda but not always.
    He's got UEFI. So grub-install goes to his ESP (grub-install will install GRUB2-EFI boot files to his ESP). If he has more than one ESP, it may still go to the "default" ESP, sda1 or sda2; or it may not. The general form of grub-install (where you can specify which ESP you intend to use) is discussed in my
    UEFI Simplified, a quicker version
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977
    (Now, with UEFI, if you write
    grub-install /dev/sdx ,
    the "/dev/sdx" has no meaning and will be ignored by GRUB.)

Your ESP--the ESP being used by the OS you are now booted into--will be mounted at /boot/efi, even if that ESP is on some other disk or even some wild partition somewhere. grub-install will find it (simply by using /boot/efi).

Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 12, 2016, 06:03 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I've only installed on one computer with UEFI as I have always chosen Legacy mode. I can't even remember if it asked where to install Grub and it all just worked.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Now what were ya'll saying?
        Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

elijathegold: I've only installed on one computer with UEFI as I have always chosen Legacy mode. I can't even remember if it asked where to install Grub and it all just worked.
          Yeah. Lots of times, GRUB Legacy defaults to (the MBR of) sda and GRUB2-EFI defaults to an ESP of sda1 (or sda2 in some Windows systems). In Kubuntu, with UEFI, during installation of the OS, you get a drop-down menu asking where to install GRUB[2-EFI]: that menu is, basically, meaningless. It'll do what it wants to do (which is usually to look around for an existing ESP on your system and install GRUB2-EFI to that, preferring sda1 to any other ESP that may exist). This UEFI thing is still kinda voluntary, up to the firmware maker, implemented by each OS, and in many ways is somewhat of a crap-shoot.

logan01: Now what were ya'll saying?
          Just trying to fool the enemy when he flies over. If I had a lawn to mow, I could simply mow some cryptic pattern into it like I did as a kid growing up in Illinois.
          Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 12, 2016, 03:24 PM.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

hmmm ... just wondering about my post #19 above. At the end of it, I see a semicolon and a capital letter "D." Why do I not see the graphical emoticon of a big smile? (I wrote that post using the graghical emoticon library offered by the forum posting menu.)

Comment

Go to advanced and make sure disable smilies in text is unchecked.

[edit]It seems to default to on all the time. Our benevolent over lords seem to not like smilies [/edit]
              Last edited by elijathegold; Jun 12, 2016, 02:59 PM.
              If you're sitting wondering,
              Which Batman is the best,
              There's only one true answer my friend,
              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

That worked, elijathegold. How strange: this is the first time it has become an issue -- my emoticons always print as graphics, not text code. Thanks. Note: I just checked THIS post, and "Disable smilies in text" was also checked! Hmmm ... For me, this was never before the default!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  That worked, elijathegold. How strange: this is the first time it has become an issue -- my emoticons always print as graphics, not text code. Thanks. Note: I just checked THIS post, and "Disable smilies in text" was also checked! Hmmm ... For me, this was never before the default!
                  Probably my dark cloud having influence over this thread.
                  Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
                  HP15 -
                  -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
                  X