This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh Oh / Lost Kubuntu

With great hesitation, I booted to BIOS 2-3 times and Windows a couple of times. While in Windows I decided to "restart". No "ubuntu" or other options. It went straight to Windows. Same with a hard boot. Normally I have the black screen (Grub?) with options to boot to Ubuntu, Windows, etc. I made no changes in BIOS though I exited with "save changes and exit" as well as "don't save changes and exit. I'm currently drowning in Windows. Get me back to my Kubuntu please. Thanks.

EDIT. Booting to Bios on my laptop is tapping the f10 key. The first time I tapped f2 which took me into an HP system check page that looked liek I was in safe mode.
    Last edited by logan01; Jun 11, 2016, 01:17 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

If it were me, I would just run Boot-Repair,
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    In the future, running with Windows and Kubuntu, UEFI, I would always run rEFInd--just for occasions like this,
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221
    (I think we DID discuss this! )
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

We likely did. Discuss / cuss me the repair deal. If I can find my "live" Kubuntu" flash drive, can I then boot to it, go in Terminal and install boot repair as shown here?
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

I managed to get my boot options by tapping f9 during boot and all worked. Do I still need to do the boot repair? I now know the answer. Yes, do the boot repair unless when booting you choose to tap, tap, tap, Esc followed by the f9 key followed by selecting Ubuntu. Argh! Here goes nothing.
        Last edited by logan01; Jun 11, 2016, 02:43 PM.
        HP15 -

Comment

That worked though I have a bunch more boot options now on the grub screen. Seems like several began with "EFI". Now I need to see about the rEFInd deal. First, I need to go mow (hate mowing, especially when it's hot as heck). May I have some cheese with my whine please? Oh yeah, I got these two windows at the end of the boot repair operation.

HP15 -

Comment

You could just continue accessing your UEFI-BIOS and picking the OS you want to boot up.

Or, as you have done,

You could run Boot_Repair and repair the boot.

And/or,

You could install rEFInd and let it control the booting for you -- it would always show up, and it would always scan your system for all available OSs, and it would always give you a choice of what OS to boot. (You can install rEFInd alongside of your existing GRUB2-EFI -- no problems, and no need to remove GRUB at this point -- just let it work alongside rEFInd. This is a religious issue, of course, and others--like SteveRiley--would have you totally completely erase and remove and purge all your GRUB.)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'll check on the rEFInd deal. I did the boot repair. Hope you're not sleepy.
              HP15 -

Comment

Holy Moly. Gotta do all that? I ain't you!

Code:
                [U]Install rEFInd
                [/U]
                [URL]https://launchpad.net/~rodsmith[/URL] ; click on Personal Package Archive > rEFInd link and open this:
                [URL]https://launchpad.net/~rodsmith/+archive/ubuntu/refind;[/URL] Follow all instructions shown:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rodsmith/refind # add his PPA repository
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-cache search refind
                sudo apt-get install refind
                and it ended saying, Installing it! rEFInd has been set as the default boot manager. Creating //boot/refind_linux.conf; edit it to adjust kernel options. Setting default boot options based on //etc/default/grub Installation has completed successfully.

Note: The PPA can be added to your system manually by copying the lines below and adding them to your system's software sources, /etc/apt/sources.list, make sure you have this in your /etc/apt/sources.list file (which you must edit as root):

# PPA for Rod Smith's rEFInd
                deb [URL]http://ppa.launchpad.net/rodsmith/refind/ubuntu[/URL] trusty main 
                deb-src [URL]http://ppa.launchpad.net/rodsmith/refind/ubuntu[/URL] trusty main

But, it doesn't look like that takes care of the signing key & etc.
                Thus, as above, I did the sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rodsmith/refind
                Note: Example: Signing key: 4096R/9122E0C2; Fingerprint: 89C46C2592C9924469026E52DE32F3C29122E0C2

[U]T[/U][U]hen check it out[/U]:
                Check /boot/efi/EFI/refind to see how it got installed
                Then do:
                sudo efibootmgr -v # to see your boot order (the NVRAM variables) 
                Then do:
                tree /boot/efi

[U]Then re-boot to try it.[/U] 

[U]Configure /boot/efi/refind/refind.conf[/U] (open as root to edit this file) <-- Optional
                How you configure rEFInd is up to you. Open and read Rod Smith's guidance in the file /boot/efi/refind/refind.conf . You may not have to do anything if you are happy with its default settings.

[U]Notes[/U]:
                (Paraphrased from SteveRiley in the thread linked above) rEFInd will create its own NVRAM variable and set that to the highest boot priority. When you then boot the computer, rEFInd's list will show all discovered kernels, Windows (if you have it), and GRUB (rEFInd detects GRUB's EFI loader). So, it peacefully co-exists with what's already installed. rEFInd displays the list of discovered bootloaders each time you boot the computer. That's why it's superior to Gummiboot and to the UEFI bulit-in boot manager. Both these tools require you to manually copy all bootloaders (kernels for Linux, that .efi file for Windows) from their normal locations to the ESP itself. That's extra work that you must remember to perform each time you upgrade a kernel.
                HP15 -

Comment

Yeah, and you really don't need rEFInd. Or, you could make a rEFI USB to boot in a pinch, it's easier to make:
                  https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379352

Comment

Can I put that on the flash drive that I have my "live" Kubuntu on or does it require it's own flash drive?
                    HP15 -

Comment

It's own drive.

Or on a CD:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post376838

Comment

Ok. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for your help.
                        HP15 -

Comment

The idea is that if you can't get booted into your OS(s), you could run the rEFInd CD/USB and it would show you your choices of OSs, you could choose one, and boot into it. If you finally get booted into your Kubuntu, you could then open Konsole and issue two commands to reset GRUB:

sudo grub-install
                          sudo update-grub

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            The idea is that if you can't get booted into your OS(s), you could run the rEFInd CD/USB and it would show you your choices of OSs, you could choose one, and boot into it. If you finally get booted into your Kubuntu, you could then open Konsole and issue two commands to reset GRUB:

sudo grub-install
                            sudo update-grub
                            Oh ok. I like that. Thanks again and have a great weekend.
                            HP15 -

Comment

Shouldn't sudo grub-install be sudo grub-install /dev/sd(x) where (x) is the identifier of your boot disk? Usually /dev/sda but not always.
                              If you're sitting wondering,
                              Which Batman is the best,
                              There's only one true answer my friend,
                              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
                              X