This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to sync notes with Android

Can anyone recommend a simple way to synchronise notes between my Android phone and Kubuntu? I'm looking for apps for each, and a way to sync them. Which could be separate or integrated. As long as it doesn't require getting nerdy, which I'll not manage.
    I'm trying to avoid the big companies like Dropbox, Google and Evernote. Preferably.
    I installed Tomdroid on the phone but failed at the sync as it didn't like my ocloud address.
    At home I'd be happy to sync via wifi to my pc or NAS. I don't need it to sync to the cloud. But it could if it is the only way.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ianp5a; Jun 07, 2016, 12:26 PM.

Thanks everyone! You can stop looking now! I've discovered Wiznote thanks to the Android app "Linux news" and LXer. I'm trying it out at the moment. It works and looks like it can do more than enough for my needs so far.

"Wiznote is a cloud based note taking app. It's available for all major platforms,Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. So once you create a note, it's synced via their hosting onto all your devices. It's free for personal use including unlimited notes storage. And can be extended for Business use and collaboration"

Read More:
    LXer news
    Review Noobslab
    Last edited by ianp5a; Jun 21, 2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Evernote can now only run on 2 devices for free. New rules from next week.

So I'm moving notes over to Wiznote. But I've noticed it doesn't seem to sync unless you open the app. I really want it to sync when I get home so when I turn the pc on it'll start updating the notes right away. And be ready to use. Hmm. Maybe there is a trick.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
        Evernote can now only run on 2 devices for free. New rules from next week.

So I'm moving notes over to Wiznote. But I've noticed it doesn't seem to sync unless you open the app. I really want it to sync when I get home so when I turn the pc on it'll start updating the notes right away. And be ready to use. Hmm. Maybe there is a trick.

Uh ... If your PC is not on and running Kubuntu it can't sync. Leave your PC on and running Wiznote. Your android is on all the time.

Thanks for the heads up on Wiznote!

EDIT: I read that link. I noticed this:
        Wiznote is developed by Wozhi Tech Beijing Co. Lt

If I were part of a dev team on ANY kind of software or industrial project the last thing I'd do is give the Chinese government a seat on the team! For personal notes? Blackmail?

If you are US based, and probably even if you're not, the NSA and CIA probably is already on your dev team.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 07, 2016, 03:19 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm still testing the sync. But when I get home and connect to the wifi, I'd expect the sync on the phone to immediately start synching with the cloud. On some occasions it was not synced right away.

Comment

I use https://simplenote.com/

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Thanks. Simple note looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post

Very neat. I immediately create a synced connection between my iPhone6 and Kubuntu.
                Thanks for the heads up!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

You could also just create a "notes" folder in you imap email.

Comment

OK. Is that easy enough to do for newbies? How would you edit notes then?

Comment

I would just go with simplenotes. There are a couple imap-note programs for android that would work for that end, but you would probably have to log on to your email online to access from your desktop

Comment

You could also just create a "notes" folder in you imap email.

After playing with it for a day I came to that conclusion as well. I realized that using email to transfer data back and forth between my Kubuntu laptop and my iPhone6, which I've been doing for the last 18 months, was just as easy as SimpleNotes, and has the added benefit of not giving away my email password. I can also send images, pdfs and other attachments as well, something that simplenotes can't do without learning a markup language, and even then its abilities are limited.

Comment

I don't have IMAP email.

I use KDE Connect or my home NAS for files between the phone and Kubuntu.
                          Last edited by ianp5a; Jul 03, 2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
                            Thanks everyone! You can stop looking now! I've discovered Wiznote thanks to the Android app "Linux news" and LXer. I'm trying it out at the moment. It works and looks like it can do more than enough for my needs so far.

"Wiznote is a cloud based note taking app. It's available for all major platforms,Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. So once you create a note, it's synced via their hosting onto all your devices. It's free for personal use including unlimited notes storage. And can be extended for Business use and collaboration"

Read More:
                            LXer news
                            Review Noobslab
                            Does Wiznote have a web client? eg for occasional use or work computers where you can't install software. I can't find any mention of it, despite them having clients for "all major platforms".
                            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Has a web client

Comment

Working...
                              X