This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Rectangle Seen When Pointin At Buttons

When I point my mouse to a button I see a black rectangle rather than information. Is this expected?
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

I think what you are seeing is the 'tip' text box with the color scheme set to black text on black background. If you look very closely at the box, can you see faint text?

Got to Settings->Application Appearance->Colors->Color tab and change two color settings:

Button Background (I use a light white or gray color)
    Button Text (I use a White text color to contrast against the gray background)
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      I think what you are seeing is the 'tip' text box with the color scheme set to black text on black background. If you look very closely at the box, can you see faint text?

Got to Settings->Application Appearance->Colors->Color tab and change two color settings:

Button Background (I use a light white or gray color)
      Button Text (I use a White text color to contrast against the gray background)
      Thank you for responding.

My colour schemes look fine.

As an example of my problem, when I point the mouse towards 'Reply With Quote' on this page all I see is a black rectangle. In addition smileys, 'Reply' button, 'Edit Post' button, and other icons are also seen as black rectangles.
      Last edited by anonprivate; Jun 08, 2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Try changing the Desktop Theme.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think that's what TWPonKubuntu is addressing for you. This issue seems to have arisen with latest updates to Firefox. By changing the color scheme (as noted above by TW), you can then read the content of those "black boxes" you are seeing. Try it, remembering your changes so you can undo it. Change the colors specifically as in post #2, write down what you did, re-start Firefox, and try it.

Added: Btw, I am assuming you use Firefox here.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I like the colour scheme. I am wondering if changing the source for widget or dialogue background might help. I also wonder if a change in Firefox could help.

Comment

Under Kubuntu 14.04.

I'm using Firefox 46.0.1 now, with no problems on icon display. My Firefox Theme is "Carbon Light".

Firefox 47.x has just been released and Debian/Ubuntu will shortly issue an update, so watch for that.

Which Kubuntu Theme are you using?
              Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I am also using Firefox 46.0.1.
                My desktop theme is Oxyglass.

How did you configure Firefox for 'Carbon Light'

Comment

In Firefox, click the "Open Menu" icon (Three dark bars) which is on the far right of your tool panel.

Select "Customize" and then the button "Themes" at the bottom of the screen.

You should see a list of theme options. If "Carbon Light" is not on your list, use the option to "Get More Themes".

DO remember which theme you are currently using, so you can return to it if the a newly selected theme does not work for you.
                  Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jun 08, 2016, 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

See this post. Did add the PPA:
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...hlight=firefox
                    Same thing happen with previous Firefox upgrade and Plasmazilla solved the issues (black rectangles, dysfunctional Nautilus instead of Dolphin, etc...). Lets hope the Plasmazilla upgrade will come soon!
                    aria

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      In Firefox, click the "Open Menu" icon (Three dark bars) which is on the far right of your tool panel.

Select "Customize" and then the button "Themes" at the bottom of the screen.

You should see a list of theme options. If "Carbon Light" is not on your list, use the option to "Get More Themes".

DO remember which theme you are currently using, so you can return to it if the a newly selected theme does not work for you.

I tried 'Carbon Light', but the problem remained. I was using the default theme and have reverted to this theme

Comment

Out of interest, If I install some of the other Firefox themes from the repository, can they be uninstaled, or, are they in place permanently?

Thanks

Comment

Is Plasmazilla a replacement for Firefox (uses same profile directories), or does it coexist with it?

Comment

What is Plasmazilla?

Comment

Plasmazilla is a plasma support library for Firefox and Thunderbird.

https://github.com/plasmazilla

It does not appear to have been updated recently. I don't use it, so I cannot advise, either way, on using it.

Comment

Working...
                              X