This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues on Shutting down and rebooting

Hi everyone, i'm new in this forum, i made some researches but i don't find anything to solve this problem. I have a Dell inspiron 1525 (laptop)

Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 2
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 2
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
    CPU family: 6
    Model: 15
    Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
    Stepping: 13
    CPU MHz: 1000.000
    CPU max MHz: 2000,0000
    CPU min MHz: 1000,0000
    BogoMIPS: 3990.08
    L1d cache: 32K
    L1i cache: 32K
    L2 cache: 2048K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,1
    Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary) (rev 0c)

On this pc i installed few days ago the last release of kubuntu (16.04 LTS 64-bit). It works very well but when i have to shut down or reboot the pc doesn't shut down. It stops with the kubuntu logo on the screen (i left it for over a hour and it remains there). I already tried with grub modification (adding acpi=force and other lines) but nothing change.

Can you help me? If it can be helpful i can send the splash screen captured with my phone's camera

thanks a lot

Welcome.

What is checked in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session? Here, I have Confirm logout, Offer Shutdown options, End current session, and Start with an empty session checked.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Welcome.

What is checked in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session? Here, I have Confirm logout, Offer Shutdown options, End current session, and Start with an empty session checked.
      I have checked
      confirm logout
      offer shutdown options
      shutdown computer
      restore previous session

is there something wrong?

Comment

It is probably a kernel/acpi/init level problem combined with your specific hardware and not related to things on the desktop side.

I have the same issue on one system but I keep forgetting about it as I seldom ever reboot or shut down the laptop.

When it hangs try hitting your esc key to switch to terminal output and see if there are any messages there.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          It is probably a kernel/acpi/init level problem combined with your specific hardware and not related to things on the desktop side.

I have the same issue on one system but I keep forgetting about it as I seldom ever reboot or shut down the laptop.

When it hangs try hitting your esc key to switch to terminal output and see if there are any messages there.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
          http://s33.postimg.org/h12qqhvov/P_20160530_131328.jpg this is my terminal output. Sorry for quality but i take it with my phone

Comment

I can confirm this problem, on my Dell D820 laptop, under 16.04.
            I must do a hard shutdown with the power button.

While the 'Kubuntu' is displayed immediately after I request shutdown from the menu, I can hit F2 and see the process report of each step during the shutdown process.
            It gets to the point of reporting "systemd shutdown" and freezes, necessitating the hard shutdown.

This is a problem with the kernel, and certain specific pieces of hardware (mostly older units).
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Try disabling or removing plymouthd.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It is certainly a long-standing problem with some hardware or configurations. Have seen bug reports on this and no firm resolution for some time. Several on launchpad bugs at least.

Doubt it's a plymouth issue, but disabling does no harm
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks a lot for the answers, i tried to disable plymouth but without any changes... I don't know how to solve this, i had the same problem on the same hardware on ubuntu 15.10 but with a grub modification (adding acpi=force) i solved it. In kubuntu 16.04 doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by cicious15 View Post
                    Thanks a lot for the answers, i tried to disable plymouth but without any changes... I don't know how to solve this, i had the same problem on the same hardware on ubuntu 15.10 but with a grub modification (adding acpi=force) i solved it. In kubuntu 16.04 doesn't work.
                    Just uninstall it.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X